Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > powerbook on a plane?

powerbook on a plane?
bmd6491
Baninated
Aug 13, 2006, 11:09 AM

Hey guys this is my first post to macnn and was wondering if you can take your laptops on planes?

Also I just purchased a isight and it is coming in the mail and i was wondering if it comes with the right mounts to mount onto a powerbook 17"?

thanks guys
brandon

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 13, 2006, 11:38 AM

Yes you can take your PB on a plane. (Unless they change their minds again, that is). You will have to turn off the AirPort card BEFORE flight-but what airports have WiFi that goes out the jetway? You may as well turn it off before you board.

Don't know about iSight...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

bmd6491  (op)
Baninated
Aug 13, 2006, 11:39 AM

thanks man but...

how do i turn off my airport?

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 13, 2006, 11:43 AM

Read this knowledge base article. It's about battery saving, but it addresses turning off your AirPort card in detail.

Oh, and I forgot something: Welcome to the MacNN Forums!

bmd6491  (op)
Baninated
Aug 13, 2006, 11:52 AM

hahaha thanks

bmd6491  (op)
Baninated
Aug 13, 2006, 11:54 AM

wow that was really helpful thanks alot

iREZ
Professional Poster
Aug 13, 2006, 12:58 PM

make sure to give a call to your aircarrier before packing your powerbook, im sure their rules have changed as of late in leu (is that spelled right?) of recent events.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Aug 13, 2006, 02:30 PM

"In lieu" is the spelling, but the phrase you want is "in light of". ("In lieu" means "in place" or "instead", e.g. "I had the store give me a gift card in lieu of having the refund mailed from the corporate office.")

tooki

Frugle
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 13, 2006, 05:48 PM

I believe going out of America you can have a carry-on (including a laptop) but because of the recent events (as said above) I believe all flights heading out of Europe do not allow a carry-on, you have to check EVERYTHING including your laptop... (pray you have good padding)
15" MacBook Pro | 2.16GHz | 2GB DDR2 | 100GB 5400 rpm | 256MB X1600

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 13, 2006, 06:46 PM

Your iSight will come with the mount for your PowerBook. Have a nice flight

bmd6491  (op)
Baninated
Aug 13, 2006, 10:29 PM

thanks but its a ny to florida and i looked up my airline and laptops are allowed... my powerbook is coming in the mail now so im think im gonna enjoy dvds on my 17 inch wide screen display..i heard it was HUGE!

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2006, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by bmd6491
thanks but its a ny to florida and i looked up my airline and laptops are allowed... my powerbook is coming in the mail now so im think im gonna enjoy dvds on my 17 inch wide screen display..i heard it was HUGE!
It is huge, and if you're in coach you might have a problem opening up a 17 inch PB. I have a 15 inch and I can't open it comfortably so I read a book. Mine lightly came in contact with my seatbelt buckle and left a scratch too.

shecky
Aug 13, 2006, 10:51 PM

exept for the fact that a 17" PB is almost impossible to use on an economy class airline tray.

edit: doh! zeeb posted while i was composing my post

edit 2: (insert obligatory "snakes on a plane" comment here)

bmd6491  (op)
Baninated
Aug 13, 2006, 11:38 PM

hahah yeah man im coach i think its gonna be funny making my little sister and my dad uncomfortable with my 17 inch pb hahaha how are the speakers on it? better than the 12 inch? because my friend has a 12 inch and the speakers aint bad for a lappy.

Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 14, 2006, 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by Frugle
I believe all flights heading out of Europe do not allow a carry-on, you have to check EVERYTHING including your laptop...
I don't know how I would survive through a flight without and carry-on luggage. Killing people is bad enough, but now, no laptop?!?! Damn terrorists.
iMac 24" | Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HD
PowerBook G4 15" HR | 1.67GHz | 2GB RAM | 100GB HD
R.I.P 1995 Toyota Supra NA-T

trevorM
Forum Regular
Aug 14, 2006, 04:10 AM

For what it is worth, in Singapore Airlines First class you could use their wireless network to surf the net in flight. So I think having WiFi on is not really issue.
Apple Powermac G5: Dual 1.85GHz | 80Gb System | 3Gb Ram | GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL | BT | Airport | Apple 30" Cinema HD Display Apple Powerbook AL G4: 12" | 1.5Ghz | 60b System | 1.25Gb Ram | Airport | BT Other: Airport Express | Airport Extreme | TiG4 PB 800Mhz | 20" iMac G5 w/ built in iSight | Swivel Screen iMac G4 800Mhz | iPod Mini | iPod Nano | Maxtor One Touch 250GB | Sony Ericsson T630

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 14, 2006, 08:29 AM

On U.S. domestic flights (and international flights originating in the U.S.) you cannot have anything that can possibly transmit turned on during takeoff or landing. That includes your computer even without a wireless card. They even discourage CD players (cheap ones are poorly sheilded). I'll bet most places worldwide forbid running electronics during takeoff and landing as well-that's specifically what I was addressing.

And we will NOT let this thread degenerate into whether that's a needed policy or not. This is about "Can you take a PowerBook on a flight," and the OP is in the U.S. If you're flying out of Heathrow, then NO you can't take much more than your passport and a paperback... That's a different matter, and one that is NOT involved in the OP's question.

Forum Links
Forum Rules