Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > old style imac overheats and shuts down!!

old style imac overheats and shuts down!!
qnc
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 29, 2007, 11:22 AM

Hi I have a iMac PowerPC G4 (2.1) 800 MHz 512 MB with the buble base...

It overheats and shuts down all byitself...

Of course I'd like to tell my boss its time for a new one but before I do that is there anything practical I can do to keep it going at least until Leporad is released (when is that by the way? best guesses will do for now)?

Thanks dudes and dudettes!!
qnctv.com
Take a look...

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Mar 29, 2007, 11:58 AM

If it really is overheating and you keep running it until it shuts down, then the problem is going to resolve itself! Download Temperature Monitor Temperature Monitor: Description to see if it really is getting hot. The range of release dates for Leopard go from tomorrow to sometime this Fall.

ph0ust
Senior User
Mar 29, 2007, 01:37 PM

i've found that the fan is quite good and sucking in dust to the point of blocking the intakes on the top of the bubble (the vents shooting air out are along the bottom). i used my household vacuum cleaner with the narrow sucker attachment meant for baseboard edges (that attachment increases the suction over a narrow area) to suck out a bunch of dust. did that on the top and bottom and found that my imac fan rarely turned on high anymore and that it ran a lot more quietly. hope that helps.....

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 29, 2007, 02:21 PM

It's a good thing that when it overheats that it shuts down!

qnc  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 16, 2007, 08:37 AM

YEs it is overheating and the fan is not comming on any advise on fixing the fan testing it?
qnctv.com
Take a look...

Forum Links
Forum Rules