Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > GPS unit recommendations please.

GPS unit recommendations please.
Railroader
Banned
Jul 13, 2007, 10:20 PM

I've been out walking with my wife and kids more and have been interested in knowing how far we've walked and how quickly we walked. We tried a pedometer, but we aren't confident with the results. I'd also like to be able to do a bit more than the basic pedometer is capable of.

Can anyone recommend an inexpensive (less than $200) GPS unit that will do all of the basic functions like speed, distance, and way points, but is also possible to hook up to my MacBook for using with some mapping software. I don't really need it for finding directions, more for seeing on a map where I've been.

Thanks in advance.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 14, 2007, 05:29 AM

I can't give any specific recommendations, but Garmin are exceptionally well made and good quality.
we don't have time to stop for gas

euchomai
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2007, 11:11 AM

I agree with the Garmin. The smaller gps units that are intended for jogging and walking are easily picked up at Target. Good little units, but the waypoints part might be a bit of a jump in the price range you are looking at though.

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Jul 14, 2007, 01:46 PM

I looked at some Garmin units online and it looks like I might have to jump up to about $300 or so. Anyone have any experience hooking one up to Mac OS X via USB?

nerd
Senior User
Jul 14, 2007, 03:03 PM

To upload maps to any of the GPS units I believe the only option is to use a PC. Once your maps are there then you have a good choice of programs on the Mac that will upload tracks, routes and waypoints. From what I understand, Google Earth Plus will import waypoints and tracks from GPS units but I haven't tried it personally.

I just ordered the Garmin eTrex Vista HCx which has the new high sensitivity receiver. People say it works in their houses so you'd be able to leave this unit in your backpack, etc. and still maintain satellite lock. My current Garmin Vista (first gen) doesn't hold lock to good when it's in my backpack or under dense trees.

It sounds like you'd be happy with Legend HCx but that might even be overkill for what you want. The H in Garmins eTrex line means it has the high sensitivity receiver, the C means color display and the X is the microSD slot. Garmin also has some units that you can strap on your arm and they'll record your tracks, speed, etc.

Garmin says their Map Source program in on the way for the Mac but they still haven't nothing. Maybe some day...

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 14, 2007, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
I've been out walking with my wife and kids more and have been interested in knowing how far we've walked and how quickly we walked. We tried a pedometer, but we aren't confident with the results. I'd also like to be able to do a bit more than the basic pedometer is capable of.
Gmaps Pedometer

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
Can anyone recommend an inexpensive (less than $200) GPS unit that will do all of the basic functions like speed, distance, and way points, but is also possible to hook up to my MacBook for using with some mapping software. I don't really need it for finding directions, more for seeing on a map where I've been.
I'd recommend something from Garmin, and of course you'll need Windows.

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Jul 14, 2007, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
I think you just saved me over $200. Thank you. That site does exactly what I need without having to drag around a GPS unit.

This is the walk we did yesterday: Gmaps Pedometer

Once again, thank you.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 14, 2007, 08:18 PM

Seems like Garmin is working on this:

MacNN | Garmin offers Mac OS X PIO Loader, updater
Also, I don't know what these guys are like, but they produce a Mac compatible GPS.
Mac Compatible GPS Products
( Last edited by peeb; Jul 14, 2007 at 08:36 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules