Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Gun Problem - Shipping?

Gun Problem - Shipping?
Aug 6, 2007, 06:41 PM

Have a problem: How do I get a gun from California to Georgia?

Seems I can't just box it up and send it FedEx Ground or UPS Ground.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

euchomai
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2007, 06:45 PM

Mail the slide separate from the frame and say it is just "machine parts". A gun without the slide can't work, this is the easy way around it. No broken laws, no lying involved.

The only way to ship the entire gun is to send it to an authorized FFL holder. It is just easier to ship it in two shipments though. An FFL holder will charge you more than the double shipping.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 6, 2007, 07:04 PM

Maybe you could go into FedEx or UPS and tell them to ship your gun or else you will shoot them with it?

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2007, 07:06 PM

Put it in your belt and hop on your horse and ride baby, ride!

Rumor
Aug 6, 2007, 07:15 PM

Even taken apart, you could still risk being charged with a crime. Ask around for some local dealers. If you belong to a gun club or shooting range, ask there as well.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Rumor
Aug 6, 2007, 07:16 PM

My boss just recently bought a rifle barrel and it had to be sent to a licensed dealer. It couldn't be sent to his house or office.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2007, 07:22 PM

Licensed dealer to licensed dealer is the only way unless you are in the military/service industry that uses weapons.

USPS.GOV has the skinny; I did the leg work for you...you can start in section 11.0:

DMM 601 Mailability

Mel O. Drahmatik
Banned
Aug 6, 2007, 07:25 PM

The Constitution allows for you to do whatever it is you want with your guns. The Gov't has *NO* right to snoop into your private mail.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2007, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Mel O. Drahmatik View Post
The Constitution allows for you to do whatever it is you want with your guns. The Gov't has *NO* right to snoop into your private mail.
hahahaha very funny.

Either your kidding (more then likely) or you're completely clueless about the Constitution.

Wait you could be both, clueless and kidding, hhhmmm

Steve516
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 6, 2007, 07:37 PM

Licensed dealer is not enough. Must be FFL to FFL. Period, end of story. Pistols for sure. Not 100% sure about long guns though, since they are not as regulated...

Now, as far as carry permits are concerned, getting one in FL gives you permission to carry (reciprocal agreement) in several other states as well. And a VA permit has similar arrangements. A NY permit will allow you to carry in CT, but a CT permit will NOT allow you to carry in NY. Getting a NY state permit is a bit tough, but do-able. A NY City permit is nearly impossible these days.

Better to be safe than sorry...

At one point, I think there was a flat fee for FFL transfers ($45?) but I may be wrong, and not sure if that is still in effect either.
iPhone & 17" Intel iMac Core Duo, Canon MP500, ViewSonic 22", LaCie 500g,

Apple IIc, SE/30, PowerComputing PC 166, Performa 6400, Mac Mini...

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2007, 07:42 PM

Why not sell it and buy some flowers.

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2007, 08:14 PM

Sounds like a terrist to me!

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 6, 2007, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Steve516 View Post
Licensed dealer is not enough. Must be FFL to FFL. Period, end of story. Pistols for sure. Not 100% sure about long guns though, since they are not as regulated...
Actually, the owner can ship a firearm to a licensed entity (usually a manufacturer or such) directly. But if it's a private transaction, go to your nearest gun dealer and have him/her handle the shipping -- for a fee.
At one point, I think there was a flat fee for FFL transfers ($45?) but I may be wrong, and not sure if that is still in effect either.
Transfers between FFL holders are NOT regulated by fee. Most dealers WILL charge a fee, since they MUST record taking in a firearm in their "bound book" and thus record the transaction. The last firearm I bought was ordered from a distributor in New Hampshire and delivered through my local dealer for a $25 fee.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2007, 09:03 PM

Now, as far as carry permits are concerned, getting one in FL gives you permission to carry (reciprocal agreement) in several other states as well. And a VA permit has similar arrangements. A NY permit will allow you to carry in CT, but a CT permit will NOT allow you to carry in NY. Getting a NY state permit is a bit tough, but do-able. A NY City permit is nearly impossible these days.

Better to be safe than sorry...

yes, you can...by definition. there it is, in black in white...from the link i posted (as well as the answer about long guns that you don't know about).

11.1.5 Manufacturers and Dealers

Handguns may also be mailed between licensed manufacturers of firearms and licensed dealers of firearms in customary trade shipments, or for repairing or replacing parts.

in fact, the DMM never mentions FFL at all.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 6, 2007, 09:52 PM

"Licensed manufacturers of firearms" are FFL holders (Type 7) while "licensed dealers of firearms" are FFL holders (Type 1) as well. FFL is simply shorthand for "federal firearms license." If you don't have one, and you are "trading in firearms," then certain enforcement agents of the Treasury Department will visit you and inquire as to your business. They are documented as having absolutely no sense of humor.

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2007, 09:59 PM

Be really careful. Reread both posts from Glenn and residentEvil. They are both right and there in lies the problem. The federal gun laws can be interpreted in a number of ways that can make life miserable for you. It does make a huge difference if you are talking hand gun versus long gun. Interstate hand gun transfers can be a nightmare. Most FFL dealers will do it for the owner for well under $50. Which in my humble opinion is very cheap compared to what might happen.
Handgunlaw.us is excellent if you decide to saddle up and ride with it.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2007, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by moonmonkey View Post
Why not sell it and buy some flowers.
Exactly.

(op)
Aug 6, 2007, 10:43 PM

It's a .22 and I appreciate everyone's advice.

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2007, 11:58 PM

It was less than 10 years ago, and I was able to bring my unloaded hand guns locked in a case to the airport with me and checked into the baggage compartment on my trip across the country. Per request, I would open the case for inspection by the ticket agent, and I'd pick up my bag at my destination.

Some things it is a shame that we have to put up with thanks to those Muslim scum.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 7, 2007, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
It was less than 10 years ago, and I was able to bring my unloaded hand guns locked in a case to the airport with me and checked into the baggage compartment on my trip across the country. Per request, I would open the case for inspection by the ticket agent, and I'd pick up my bag at my destination.

Some things it is a shame that we have to put up with thanks to those Muslim scum.
Are you that PacHead guy? I see the resemblance... full of bluster, as dumb as a bag of rocks, and quite likely racist to boot.

red rocket
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2007, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by
It's a .22 and I appreciate everyone's advice.
A .22, Christ. What with all the hysteria, I thought you were talking about a machine gun, or at least a .45 or something.

Who are you shipping it to? Does he have a license? If not, how did you sell it to him?

Anyway, here are a few points to bear in mind (from auctionarms.com):

An FFL holder can receive a firearm in interstate commerce FROM anyone. Period. That is the whole point of getting an FFL in the firts place: to receive guns across a state line.

[…]

An FFL holder can recieve guns from ANYONE, ANYWHERE, with a name and address for the origin of the gun. Some FFL holders will not accept guns without an FFL, and while wrong, and not necessary, it sometimes is easier to just give them one. Of course, when you don't have one yourself, it becomes difficult, and THAT is when you should find another FFL holder to accept the weapon. I run into this all the time, but it is easy for me to send them a copy of my FFL, although unecessary.

[…]

An FFL holder can receive firearms from anyone directly through the mail(Long guns) or common carrier(all types).Some FFL holders may insist on a little more proof than a name etched on tablet paper and I am in the group as I require a copy of a Drivers license.My suggestion is to go to ATF.gov under firearms FAQ's and copy the verse and send it to your buyer to show him that an FFL is not required.If he can't find another FFL let him know that it costs you extra to use an FFL and have him pay you the fee for it.

Auction Arms Forum - Must I ship from an FFL to an FFL?

Otherwise, I'd go with euchomai's suggestion, and take the weapon apart before shipping.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2007, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Are you that PacHead guy? I see the resemblance... full of bluster, as dumb as a bag of rocks, and quite likely racist to boot.
Thanks.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 7, 2007, 07:27 AM

What kind of racist drivel is that?

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2007, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
"Licensed manufacturers of firearms" are FFL holders (Type 7) while "licensed dealers of firearms" are FFL holders (Type 1) as well. FFL is simply shorthand for "federal firearms license." If you don't have one, and you are "trading in firearms," then certain enforcement agents of the Treasury Department will visit you and inquire as to your business. They are documented as having absolutely no sense of humor.
i know what FFL stands for; but that was my entire point for putting up the link plus pasting the specifics in here. the USPS doesn't make any mention of it. i know the postal inspector and ATF work together often so you would think they would talk the same language but they don't.

are you saying that by definition a "licensed dealer" is/has to be a FFL? if it is then the postal inspector should make that more clear on their regulations.

either way, my statement of a licensed dealer is still accurate. problem solved for the OP. pay the ~$50 and be done with it

(op)
Aug 7, 2007, 09:30 AM

No, not a machine gun, but from the way that UPS and FedEx talk, you'd think it was, actually.

It's a .22 worth about $800 in value because of varying reasons.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 7, 2007, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by residentEvil View Post
are you saying that by definition a "licensed dealer" is/has to be a FFL? if it is then the postal inspector should make that more clear on their regulations.
Precisely. On both counts.

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2007, 12:47 AM

DHL? Ya that will work...
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

OreoCookie
Aug 8, 2007, 01:04 AM

Why don't you buy the gun at a local gun shop?
(I know, it doesn't really help, but I'm just interested.)
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 8, 2007, 01:32 AM

Stay tuned for this thread: "How do I get 170lbs of pulled pork to sink to the bottom of Lake Lanier?"

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Aug 8, 2007, 07:06 AM

Precisely. On both counts.

okie dokie. sorry to have caused more confusion then.

Sky Captain
Mac Elite
Location: Second star to the right, and straight on till morning
Aug 8, 2007, 08:46 AM

Where in GA?
My FFL only charges me $25 to do the transfer.(in Marietta/Smyrna)
All men are created equal, but what they do after that point puts them on a sliding scale.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 8, 2007, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
Why don't you buy the gun at a local gun shop?
(I know, it doesn't really help, but I'm just interested.)
It's amazing how diverse a gun shop's inventory can be. Within about three miles of me there is a small, specialty gun shop and a big chain "sporting goods" store. The difference in what they carry is absolutely astounding. In short, the product one wants may not be available in person, no matter where you are or what it is you want.

And as the OP pointed out that the pistol has value beyond its extrinsic "base price", the whole story is probably pretty complicated.

finboy
Aug 8, 2007, 07:52 PM

I always thought you could mail them to yourself for pickup at another location. For example, I just brought a bunch of my dad's guns back to TX from NC (we drove). My alternative was to ship them to myself and fly. That hasn't always been a problem with FedEx or UPS, but the USPS put restrictions on after Oswald did his thing. By definition, FedEx and UPS aren't "mail" (if they were, they'd be shut down), so they must have either put up a ban on shipping themselves or lobbied for it (to ease their insurance considerations). I can't remember a UPS/FedEx restriction back in the old days, though.

The ATF's opinion on shipping to oneself is here:

ATF Online - Firearms FAQs
( Last edited by finboy; Aug 8, 2007 at 08:04 PM. )

(op)
Aug 8, 2007, 09:15 PM

^^^THAT is an interesting idea.^^^

Thanks!

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 9, 2007, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by finboy View Post
The ATF's opinion on shipping to oneself is here:

ATF Online - Firearms FAQs
It should be noted that "the ATF's opinion" is the first one to consider-they are the ones that write the administrative rules (which have the effect of law) and interpret them.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Aug 9, 2007, 09:28 AM

??? WTF

CMYKid
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 9, 2007, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by finboy View Post
I always thought you could mail them to yourself for pickup at another location. For example, I just brought a bunch of my dad's guns back to TX from NC (we drove). My alternative was to ship them to myself and fly.
and

It was less than 10 years ago, and I was able to bring my unloaded hand guns locked in a case to the airport with me and checked into the baggage compartment on my trip across the country.
What exactly is it that makes either one of you think there's anything keeping you from still flying with them? Unless they were Class III's that you didnt have paperwork for (in which case driving with 'em wasn't any more legal) you could check them as baggage.

Likewise your handgun. I do it all the time.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 9, 2007, 10:44 AM

Some airlines are far too cautious about such things, and the airlines themselves don't allow passengers to fly with firearms in their checked luggage. On top of that, airlines are at about the bottom of the list of organizations that teach their employees anything about firearms law or allowable procedures. And as with all big organizations, the people who work for one airline in Pittsburgh will have completely different ideas about what can and can't be done than those working in Pasadena. It's stupid, but that's how it is.

timmerk
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2007, 08:26 PM

Some airlines are far too cautious about such things, and the airlines themselves don't allow passengers to fly with firearms in their checked luggage. On top of that, airlines are at about the bottom of the list of organizations that teach their employees anything about firearms law or allowable procedures. And as with all big organizations, the people who work for one airline in Pittsburgh will have completely different ideas about what can and can't be done than those working in Pasadena. It's stupid, but that's how it is.
What airlines? Every one I've seen lets you check it in.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 9, 2007, 09:51 PM

They're supposed to. But what you get from the folks at the ticket desk and the folks at the airline's 800 number is often very different. I've spoken with a few competitive shooters that just plain won't fly one airline or another-but I can't remember which ones.

CMYKid
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 10, 2007, 03:59 AM

The actual rules for each airline are pretty standard and they mostly just mimic the TSA rules. I just print a copy of the rules from that carrier as well as a copy of the TSA guidelines and keep them with my tickets. Havent had to use them, but never hurts.

Forum Links
Forum Rules