Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > I bought an espresso machine, and so should you

I bought an espresso machine, and so should you
Tiresias
Aug 27, 2007, 11:21 AM

If you like coffee, that is.

After talking to a coffee guy, I bought a Briel espresso machine ("Best crema", he said) and I cannot believe how damn good the coffee I make is.

I have officially lost all respect for coffee making people, whose offerings, by comparison, are crap. Coffee guy was not kidding. I'm getting about 3 cm of crema on a small cup of espresso. Smooth, hot, rich. Seesh, making coffee's easy. So why do people who make coffee for a living and charge like 3 to 4 dollars a cup suck so bad at it.

P.S.

Buy an espresso machine. Now.

Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2007, 11:52 AM

oh OK. I will then.

ta

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 27, 2007, 12:06 PM

It's on the list.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

paul w
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2007, 12:12 PM

I got one of them simple italian stovetop jobs. I'm all set thanks.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Aug 27, 2007, 12:16 PM

Hm yes I've got one of them Shitalian stove-top things as well, but that isn't real expresso. It's much thinner and less foamy.

That Briel machine looks very nice. Portugese coffee is very good. I might check this out.

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Aug 27, 2007, 12:23 PM

How much was it?

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Aug 27, 2007, 12:25 PM

My baby:

"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

Tiresias  (op)
Aug 27, 2007, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by nonhuman View Post
How much was it?
A little over 300 dollars, however, it'll pay for itself. I bet you spend more than that on coffee a year.

Tiresias  (op)
Aug 27, 2007, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Stradlater View Post
My baby:

Cool machine.

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Aug 27, 2007, 12:34 PM

i've got a Gaggia Espresso (too lazy to find a pic) and a Mazzer Mini

the mantra of all obsessed espresso people is: first the grinder then the machine

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Aug 27, 2007, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by DeathToWindows View Post

the mantra of all obsessed espresso people is: first the grinder then the machine
Second the Mazzer Mini.
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

Tiresias  (op)
Aug 27, 2007, 12:38 PM

Forgive me Father, for I have sinned.

(Note to self: Buy grinder)

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Aug 27, 2007, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
A little over 300 dollars, however, it'll pay for itself. I bet you spend more than that on coffee a year.
I bet I don't.

I almost never drink coffee. Don't really like the taste that much. I had one a couple days ago because I was meeting a client at a Dunkin Donuts and had only gotten about 3 hours of sleep the night before, but that was the first coffee I'd had probably in months and I only got it because it was convenient and cheap. I will have the occasional iced coffee during the summer, but in general I prefer tea. I also really like Starbuck's Chai Latte (iced and hot). I doubt I've spent $300 on coffee in my life.

Tiresias  (op)
Aug 27, 2007, 12:44 PM

I bet I don't.

I almost never drink coffee. Don't really like the taste that much. I had one a couple days ago because I was meeting a client at a Dunkin Donuts and had only gotten about 3 hours of sleep the night before, but that was the first coffee I'd had probably in months and I only got it because it was convenient and cheap. I will have the occasional iced coffee during the summer, but in general I prefer tea. I also really like Starbuck's Chai Latte (iced and hot). I doubt I've spent $300 on coffee in my life.
It makes tea too.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Aug 27, 2007, 12:56 PM

It makes tea too.
So does my tea kettle.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Aug 27, 2007, 06:43 PM

I drink Folgers, I guess I'm out.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Aug 27, 2007, 09:53 PM

300 bucks for a coffee maker, I don't like coffee that much wow that's a little too pricey for me

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Aug 27, 2007, 10:02 PM

Snort. $300 for a machine isn't that much.

My current setup cost around $700; the machine was $200 and the grinder was $500

...admittedly, the grinder will still be going when I'm 80

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Aug 28, 2007, 08:00 AM

My current setup cost around $700; the machine was $200 and the grinder was $500

This kind of makes my $2.00 medium Dunkin Donuts coffee all the more tastier.

Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2007, 08:08 AM

right -o

I've bought that. What should I buy next.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Aug 28, 2007, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
This kind of makes my $2.00 medium Dunkin Donuts coffee all the more tastier.
Not if you've had 350 of them or more over the expected lifetime of his setup.

Tiresias  (op)
Aug 28, 2007, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Andrew Stephens View Post
right -o

I've bought that. What should I buy next.
Nothing wrong with the MacBook Pros.

Tiresias  (op)
Aug 28, 2007, 11:20 AM

Wait a minuteā€”the machine was $200 and the grinder was $500? Wft?!

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Aug 28, 2007, 11:56 AM

Yep. The advise that anyone who is serious about coffee will give you is to spend most of your money on the grinder - if you buy a $100 grinder and a $600 machine, you're crippling your coffee potential.

try coffeegeek.com or home-barista.com if you want to read stuff from people who are much harder core than me

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 28, 2007, 12:00 PM

Starbucks Barista brand. Yeah, I know its Starbucks, but I know someone who works there and they got a smokin deal. The whole unit, plus extras for $170. And I get free espresso. Gotta love friends.

My only complaint is how loud the damn thing is when steaming milk. I wake the neighborhood.

Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2007, 06:17 PM

good idea. I'm off to get one now.

gee this sure beats watching all those stupid adverts. All I bought after watching THEM was furniture polish, headache tablets and some cheese.

oh and I managed to consolidate all my repayments into one easy monthly fee.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Aug 28, 2007, 08:14 PM

Not if you've had 350 of them or more over the expected lifetime of his setup.
Except that I don't know anyone who has a coffee maker and only makes coffee. Everyone I know especially when they go to work in the AM hits their favorite place to buy a cup of Joe. So while your logic is correct provided that you never buy any more coffee from dunkin donuts or anywhere else.

Heck I have a coffee maker, nothing so grandiose, I use it all of the time, but that doesn't stop me from hitting DD in the morning.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Aug 28, 2007, 08:28 PM

Except that I don't know anyone who has a coffee maker and only makes coffee. Everyone I know especially when they go to work in the AM hits their favorite place to buy a cup of Joe. So while your logic is correct provided that you never buy any more coffee from dunkin donuts or anywhere else.

Heck I have a coffee maker, nothing so grandiose, I use it all of the time, but that doesn't stop me from hitting DD in the morning.
Sure, but you make one a day at home and it's paid for itself. [Edit: In a year...]
( Last edited by nonhuman; Aug 28, 2007 at 08:52 PM. )

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 28, 2007, 08:48 PM

Nothing wrong with the MacBook Pros.
I have to disagree. My MacBook Pro has never made a decent cup of coffee.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Aug 28, 2007, 09:22 PM

Sure, but you make one a day at home and it's paid for itself. [Edit: In a year...]
I make my own coffee several times a week and I still didn't pay 300 for a coffee maker

Cold Warrior
Aug 28, 2007, 09:32 PM

Maybe this thread needs to become a 'show your coffee setup' thread [picture orgy].
Here's my setup:

euchomai
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2007, 09:56 PM

I use an Aeropress for my coffee fix. It is a giant syringe of grounds that you pour hot water through. You press down on the plunger and it presses the espresso out of the filter. Look it up on Coffee Geek forums, pretty good reviews and hundreds of pages on the crazy thing.

By the way, it is under $30!

JMan09
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 28, 2007, 10:07 PM

I like to buy some dark roast coffee and use it in my French Press, and it tastes better than buying the same coffee at Starbucks or Joe Muggs.
32GB iPad 2 | 32GB iPhone 4 | 11' MacBook Air 1.6 i5, 4GB, 128GB SSD

greene_hornette
Baninated
Aug 28, 2007, 10:44 PM

I will stick with my french coffee press as well (using starbucks french roast)

(it only cost $14.99 )

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 28, 2007, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by euchomai View Post
I use an Aeropress for my coffee fix. It is a giant syringe of grounds that you pour hot water through. You press down on the plunger and it presses the espresso out of the filter. Look it up on Coffee Geek forums, pretty good reviews and hundreds of pages on the crazy thing.

By the way, it is under $30!

I bought an Aero Press, and have to say, I'm utterly underwhelmed with the espresso it makes. It's just weak. My $ 30 el-cheopo espresso machine makes better espresso, and that says a lot.

The only use I have for the Aero is making regular coffee, so it's basically a glorified french press.

-t

amazing
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2007, 12:36 AM

French press is not a good way to make coffee: the hot water sits in contact with the grounds, thereby leaching the oils out. The oils are not good for you. Health studies were puzzled that Scandinavians had high cholesterol, because their normal diet would point towards low cholesterol. Turns out it was the percolated coffee that was responsible for the high cholesterol: The hot water constantly leaching the oils out of the coffee.

Now I'm sure someone will say that they drink their French press coffee too quickly for anything to happen, but that just isn't true: it doesn't sit there as long as percolated coffee, true, but it does sit there.

Espresso, or drip filter = better.

JMan09
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 29, 2007, 02:31 AM

Thanks for that info. I never knew that, but I only use my french press a few time a week at most. If I had the money I would buy an espresso machine.
32GB iPad 2 | 32GB iPhone 4 | 11' MacBook Air 1.6 i5, 4GB, 128GB SSD

Tiresias  (op)
Aug 29, 2007, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by JMan09 View Post
Thanks for that info. I never knew that, but I only use my french press a few time a week at most. If I had the money I would buy an espresso machine.
"French Press" sounds like some kinky European sex position.

Tiresias  (op)
Aug 29, 2007, 05:24 AM

If you drink three espressos for breakfast (and you will if you buy a machine, it's that good) you won't need to hit DD in the morning. You'll be bouncing off the walls.

Kevin
Baninated
Aug 29, 2007, 06:44 AM

Druggies....

tmpilling
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 29, 2007, 07:32 AM

They suck so bad at it cause they don't truly love it. Really good baristas are completely addicted to caffiene as an occupational hazard.

It is all in the grind.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2007, 07:50 AM

I have to go along with all the grinder comments - you really need to start with the grinder. What's the point of a decent espresso machine if you're using last week's grounds? The flavor goes downhill fast after you grind the beans.

Cold Warrior
Aug 29, 2007, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by wallinbl View Post
I have to go along with all the grinder comments - you really need to start with the grinder. What's the point of a decent espresso machine if you're using last week's grounds? The flavor goes downhill fast after you grind the beans.
I worked with a guy once who told me a story about his father. His father, who liked coffee, would save the used grounds all week, and then on the 7th day, he'd put them into a filter for that morning's coffee, thus squeezing another pot from the week's budget. This guy was an immigrant, and his family had come to the US with nothing.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2007, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
I worked with a guy once who told me a story about his father. His father, who liked coffee, would save the used grounds all week, and then on the 7th day, he'd put them into a filter for that morning's coffee, thus squeezing another pot from the week's budget. This guy was an immigrant, and his family had come to the US with nothing.
Maybe regrinding the grounds would have helped with the flavor

-t

Tiresias  (op)
Aug 29, 2007, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by tmpilling View Post
They suck so bad at it cause they don't truly love it. Really good baristas are completely addicted to caffiene as an occupational hazard.

It is all in the grind.
True.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 29, 2007, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post

Starbucks Barista brand. Yeah, I know its Starbucks, but I know someone who works there and they got a smokin deal. The whole unit, plus extras for $170. And I get free espresso. Gotta love friends.

My only complaint is how loud the damn thing is when steaming milk. I wake the neighborhood.
I got one, too. The milk steamer is pretty F-ing loud. A friend of mine also works at starbucks, so I get a hookup occasionally Employees get a pound a week, that's a lot of fscking coffee!

The portafilter that comes with it is pressurized, but I hear a non-pressurized one can be found which supposedly increases the quality ( with a good grind and tamp obviously). Anyone have info? I read about it on coffeegeek.

I've been looking into grinders lately, and think I want a baratza virtuoso:

I can find them for $150 refurbished from the manufacturer. The mazzers are really attractive to me, but that's a lot of coin to drop. The virtuoso got pretty good reviews on coffeegeek.

Jumbonium2007
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 29, 2007, 07:53 PM

All this talk of espresso made me go out and buy one

Its a small one that I found at goodwill for 3.99 works great.. been steaming milk in it all day

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2007, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Jumbonium2007 View Post
been steaming milk in it all day
It's that slow? No wonder someone gave it to Goodwill.

Jumbonium2007
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 29, 2007, 08:03 PM

No its not slow ive been playing with it it works quite well

dlefebvre
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2007, 08:27 PM

I got this one 3 years ago and I never regretted it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules