Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > [dFold - CLI] How do I change the number of units to download?

[dFold - CLI] How do I change the number of units to download?
Bockie
Mac Elite
May 20, 2002, 02:33 PM

Bad/good news. Since we bought a house (yay! ) beyond cable broadband's reach, my broadband connection will be gone June 3. I'll only have dial-up, so I will only be able to crunch RC5 and dFold on a regular basis. I will still crunch the occasional SETI unit, but no F@H.

How do I change the amount of units that I download for dFold using the CLI client?
09.11.01 - UNITED WE STAND

reader50
Administrator
May 20, 2002, 02:46 PM

dFold is unlike other projects in that it does not download units. Completed units are uploaded, but none are downloaded.

The client starts with a random seed number each time, and sees where the fold simulation will go. It tried to upload every 5K completed units, but if it can't, it will keep going to around 35-50K completed units if I recall correctly.

There is a mod to let it crunch beyond that, but if you upload once per day, there should be no problem. Restarting it once per day is advised anyway on account of the memory leak.

Shaktai
Mac Elite
May 20, 2002, 02:58 PM

If you edit the "foldit" file so that the line reads as follows:
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1"face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial">code:</font><HR><pre><font size=1 face=courier>./foldtrajlite -f protein -n native -df</font>[/code]
it will then crunch beyond the 30,000 or so limit without stopping. Like reader said though, depending on the amount of your RAM, it is best to restart it daily, due to a memory leak problem with the current client.

Bockie  (op)
Mac Elite
May 20, 2002, 03:55 PM

Cool. I'll try that code tonight. As far as RAM...I've got 1.12GB and have had dFold running for several days without restarting and never noticed a problem.
09.11.01 - UNITED WE STAND

Shaktai
Mac Elite
May 20, 2002, 04:57 PM

Originally posted by Bockie:
<STRONG>Cool. I'll try that code tonight. As far as RAM...I've got 1.12GB and have had dFold running for several days without restarting and never noticed a problem. </STRONG>
Check your process monitor. It will show the percentage of RAM that dFold is using. With 1.12 gb of RAM (wow) it should not be over 5 or 10%. However you would be able to go several days, as long as you aren't using it for anything else. Just remember to connect & upload your finished results first, before you restart it. If you let it run long enought without restarting, eventually it will consume all the RAM and then freeze.

slipjack
Senior User
May 22, 2002, 01:57 AM

Originally posted by Shaktai:
<STRONG>

Check your process monitor. It will show the percentage of RAM that dFold is using. With 1.12 gb of RAM (wow) it should not be over 5 or 10%. However you would be able to go several days, as long as you aren't using it for anything else. Just remember to connect & upload your finished results first, before you restart it. If you let it run long enought without restarting, eventually it will consume all the RAM and then freeze.</STRONG>
I've noticed DF start to take up way to much memory usually after a week... I'tl last longer than a week before freezing up, but eventually it happens.

Team MacNN :: Crush the competition :: crunching :: Dual Ghz G4/Radeon 9000/23" Cinema Display

SkiBikeSki
Grizzled Veteran
May 22, 2002, 02:28 AM

It'll certainly go longer than a week. But by then it make be using virtual memory, and swapfiles. And they slow it down so much. It's best just to use my script and have it restart it periodically.
-- SBS --

slipjack
Senior User
May 22, 2002, 02:46 PM

Originally posted by SkiBikeSki:
<STRONG>It'll certainly go longer than a week. But by then it make be using virtual memory, and swapfiles. And they slow it down so much. It's best just to use my script and have it restart it periodically.</STRONG>
And that script is... where again?

Team MacNN :: Crush the competition :: crunching :: Dual Ghz G4/Radeon 9000/23" Cinema Display

SkiBikeSki
Grizzled Veteran
May 23, 2002, 01:45 AM

At the bottom of this thread is all the info you need, and a link to download it too.
-- SBS --

Forum Links
Forum Rules