Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > So in 40 days no more mac.com email? :(

So in 40 days no more mac.com email? :(
JeremyS
Senior User
Aug 21, 2002, 11:08 PM

So if I don't sign up for .Mac in 40 days my mac.com address will no longer work?!

Why can't they offer a free "Limited Email ONLY" account.

Man, no I gotta change email addresses again!!

Sealobo
Aug 21, 2002, 11:21 PM

big deal.

The Evener
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 21, 2002, 11:36 PM

Originally posted by JeremyS:
So if I don't sign up for .Mac in 40 days my mac.com address will no longer work?!

Why can't they offer a free "Limited Email ONLY" account.

Man, no I gotta change email addresses again!!
That's exactly where Apple wants to have you. If sending out notices about your changed address is too much hassle, then Apple is hoping you'll opt to pay for .mac -- otherwise, I guess it's getting close to sending out those "change of e-mail address" notices. Maybe Apple will eventually offer a free or cheaper "e-mail only" option, but they won't do anything until just before or after the deadline.

"Psssst..."

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Aug 21, 2002, 11:42 PM

Buy buy buy! .Mac is excellent, that's an easy solution to your problem!

cowerd
Senior User
Aug 21, 2002, 11:44 PM

Free limited email may come back but in a very modified form, but only after they get rid of all those people squatting on multiple .mac accounts.
yo frat boy. where's my tax cut.

Kon-El
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 21, 2002, 11:55 PM

$40 for existing iTools customer makes it worth it to me alone just to get free legal copies of Virex 7.1 for Mac OS X and Virex 6.1 for Mac OS 9.2.2 for all my machines! After the first year though, I don't know as I already have downloaded the Virex from them...

...we'll just have to see what the promised additions to the .Mac service are this year...
In Christ,
Deacon Nikolai
http://nstanosheck.wordpress.com

krove
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2002, 12:30 AM

Originally posted by cowerd:
Free limited email may come back but in a very modified form, but only after they get rid of all those people squatting on multiple .mac accounts.
Any proof?

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

JeremyS  (op)
Senior User
Aug 22, 2002, 12:39 AM

I am just not sure it's worth it to me, I probably wouldn't use the Homepage, icards, or idisk that much. Mostly just the email and the backup is pretty much useless until it can back up to other hard drives also.

tr
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2002, 12:41 AM

Originally posted by gorickey:
Buy buy buy! .Mac is excellent, that's an easy solution to your problem!

i don't know, i'm kinda hesitant to buy. i'll probably end up buying it for my mom (because she wants to keep her address), but as of right now, she can't even send email using her mac.com address. can't connect to the smtp server, or it times out. i mean, if i'm paying $50-$100 for this package, i would like to be able to reliably send and receive email, at the least...

let's hope jag clears this matter up.

tr

Mithras
Professional Poster
Aug 22, 2002, 12:55 AM

I was annoyed to have to change email addresses yet again, also.

So, I went to namezero.com, and registered a domain name.

For $15/year for 2 years, I got my own domain name, a POP email account, and unlimited email aliases to forward to other accounts.

So now I use [email protected] as my main email, and use [email protected] at e-commerce sites and web site registrations. I gave my family members forwarding addresses too, so now they can at least give out one email address, even if they switch the account they use.

I'm really glad I did it. It just ends a great deal of hassle.

Note that I just stumbled onto the namezero.com place; there might be other places out there with better deals.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 22, 2002, 12:57 AM

Why are the default settings for Mac.com email so insecure when all that is needed to make them secure is relatively trivial?

Incoming mail should have SSL enabled by default, and SMTP Auth should also be encrypted. Apple has the luxury of enabling these for their users for them, and they don't.

Not a bitch, just something I don't quite understand.

CarpetFluff
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 22, 2002, 04:25 AM

Originally posted by Kon-El:
$40 for existing iTools customer makes it worth it to me alone just to get free legal copies of Virex 7.1 for Mac OS X and Virex 6.1 for Mac OS 9.2.2 for all my machines! After the first year though, I don't know as I already have downloaded the Virex from them...

...we'll just have to see what the promised additions to the .Mac service are this year...
I have subscribed but I've been unhappy with the service and don't really think it's good value for money.

That aside, Kon-El!? I think it says in the small print somewhere that you can only update Virex as part of your .mac service (can someone confirm or deny?) so it's effectively useless if you don't continue to subscribe. That's my understanding of it anyway which is why I don't see it as 'great value'.

I also realised the other day that my ISP allows 12 different mail accounts each with 100mb of storage and a much cleaner and more useful web interface. And if ftp in the finder gets fixed I can use their 50mb of storage instead of the iDisk (which I don't find all that useful anyway as I have portable drives.
( Last edited by CarpetFluff; Aug 22, 2002 at 04:32 AM. )
If it rained soup I'd have a fork in my hand!

eno
Banned
Aug 22, 2002, 06:15 AM

Originally posted by besson3c:
Why are the default settings for Mac.com email so insecure when all that is needed to make them secure is relatively trivial?

Incoming mail should have SSL enabled by default, and SMTP Auth should also be encrypted. Apple has the luxury of enabling these for their users for them, and they don't.

Not a bitch, just something I don't quite understand.
I'd say it's because of the extra CPU load associated with SSL connections. It might not sound like much, but when you have hundreds of thousands of users hammering away checking their email accounts every five minutes.... it starts putting a strain on the machines, and the only way to solve it is to throw more machines (more $$$) at the problem...

KaptainKaya
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2002, 08:11 AM

Well, I have 6 more email only accounts for .mac if anyone is interested. Its $10.98 including tax, so if you just want email without forking over the extra $$, let me know! ([email protected])

Schmidlapper
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 22, 2002, 09:58 AM

I say anyone who doesn't want to pay for .mac service shouldn't. They can go out to a movie and dinner to celebrate their thriftyness. I feel it is worth the price of a movie and dinner for me.
mac mini 1.42 Ghz, 512 Meg, 80 Gig, Combo drive, BT/AE, OSX 10.4, Sony 17" LCD, Canon iP4000R printer

El Mariachi
Aug 22, 2002, 11:21 AM

I thought they thinked different...

Not gone make that mistake again.

It was something special when the @mac.com e-mail came. I was kind of proud of it.

Glad I didn't pay for Jaguar. Only thing I will pay for from now is Hardware.
Cause I have to...

ntsc
Senior User
Aug 22, 2002, 11:33 AM

i see and when we all start to do this and Apple hemorrhages money like there's no tomorrow i'm sure you'll be the one complaining about the crap service or the lack of new features in the software or these awful anti piracy "features". I'm sick of all this bleating on about the cost of .Mac, if its not worth that amount of money every year to you then don't pay it. I used to use iTools but it simply isn't worth $99 or $49 every year to have the services which they offer. However you won't see me moaning about it because like most things it costs money to have internet services and with many Mac users having more than one iTools account they probably couldn't afford to sustain the cost for ever, especially given the growth they've had over the past couple of years since it was introduced.

Remember the old maxim "There's no such thing as a free lunch"
"You can't waste a life hating people, because all they do is live their life, laughing, doing more evil."

-ALPHA ROBERTSON,whose daughter was one of four girls killed in the bombing of a Birmingham, Ala., church in 1963.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 22, 2002, 12:34 PM

I have 8 e-mail only .Mac accounts left... Anyone interested?

iamnid
Senior User
Aug 22, 2002, 02:23 PM

blah blah blah... who cares? Just get a yahoo! or hotmail account -- they're still free.

sgrup
Forum Regular
Aug 22, 2002, 05:27 PM

but yahoo and hotmail are web-based accounts - was mac.com the last free pop3 email service available out there - does anybody know of any alterfnative?

s

Mithras
Professional Poster
Aug 22, 2002, 06:08 PM

http://www.myrealbox.com

Free. POP. IMAP. Works great.

Owned & operated by IBM (Lotus), so there's some hope it will stay around for awhile.

But of course, the best things in life are not free. No guarantees how long this site will stay this way.

sgrup
Forum Regular
Aug 22, 2002, 06:31 PM

thanks - myrealbox seems exactly what i wanted

waffffffle
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2002, 06:40 PM

I think Apple should charge $5 a year for email forwarding. I bet tons of people would sign up for that.

Sean2068
Forum Regular
Aug 22, 2002, 08:29 PM

I would. Apple probably should do it for free though due to the inconveniance they've caused so many.

Mactoid
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 22, 2002, 09:00 PM

Originally posted by waffffffle:
I think Apple should charge $5 a year for email forwarding. I bet tons of people would sign up for that.
I would in a heartbeat. Any email only <= $25 service is fair in my book. Even though I am mostly switched away from my mac.com address, I would love to be able to keep it.
We hope your rules and wisdom choke you / Now we are one in everlasting peace
-- Radiohead, Exit Music (for a film)

Kon-El
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 22, 2002, 09:20 PM

Originally posted by CarpetFluff:
I think it says in the small print somewhere that you can only update Virex as part of your .mac service (can someone confirm or deny?) so it's effectively useless if you don't continue to subscribe. That's my understanding of it anyway which is why I don't see it as 'great value'.
Well I downloaded both from .Mac and then updated the engine & definitions via VersionTracker.com for 7.1 for Mac OS X and just used the eUpdate feature of 6.1 for OS 9.2.2 and both updated fine. So I figure I just bought 2 versions of Virex for all my Macs for $40. Good Deal IMO
In Christ,
Deacon Nikolai
http://nstanosheck.wordpress.com

krove
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2002, 10:34 PM

I have all ten of my .Mac email-only adresses available if anyone wants one...

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

Forum Links
Forum Rules