Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > 3 exciting new Gamecube games coming up! NOT!

3 exciting new Gamecube games coming up! NOT! (Page 2)
Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 26, 2004, 01:39 PM

Originally posted by lavar78:
And how is that relevant, fellow Mac user?
Just because people buy one thing does not mean it is better when it comes to PC's. The difference is PC's are normally cheaper, easier to get, has more software and more customizable. So there is a reason that they sell so well.

GameCube on the other hand has powerful graphics, costs the LEAST, and has a big name to back it up. So if it is the worst selling system there must be something wrong with it. It also just happens to be the most important thing. GAMES. Sure you might like all the kiddy games but a majority of people don't agree with you, you are the niche.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

lavar78
Professional Poster
Nov 26, 2004, 01:49 PM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
Just because people buy one thing does not mean it is better when it comes to PC's. The difference is PC's are normally cheaper, easier to get, has more software and more customizable. So there is a reason that they sell so well.

GameCube on the other hand has powerful graphics, costs the LEAST, and has a big name to back it up. So if it is the worst selling system there must be something wrong with it. It also just happens to be the most important thing. GAMES. Sure you might like all the kiddy games but a majority of people don't agree with you, you are the niche.
And what exactly is wrong with being part of a niche? Hell, video games as a whole have been a niche (if they still aren't now). BTW, is the GCN actually the worst-selling system? It probably is in the US, but is that true worldwide? Regardless, your reasons are too simplified. Remember, the PS2 had a huge head start -- and it is the only "next gen" console that's backwards compatible. Maybe that's why it's the leader.

I think you completely missed his point about everyone not having the same tastes. Millions of people have a GCN. Millions of people love its games. It's fine if you don't, but that doesn't mean it doesn't have an good games -- it just means it doesn't have any games you like.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

Addicted to MacNN
Nov 26, 2004, 01:54 PM

And what exactly is wrong with being part of a niche? Hell, video games as a whole have been a niche (if they still aren't now). BTW, is the GCN actually the worst-selling system? It probably is in the US, but is that true worldwide? Regardless, your reasons are too simplified. Remember, the PS2 had a huge head start -- and it is the only "next gen" console that's backwards compatible. Maybe that's why it's the leader.

I think you completely missed his point about everyone not having the same tastes. Millions of people have a GCN. Millions of people love its games. It's fine if you don't, but that doesn't mean it doesn't have an good games -- it just means it doesn't have any games you like.
Yes it may not be games I like but since it is selling so poorly and they had to cut the price to a ridiculously low cost it turns out others think the same way I do and the number show it.

Backwards compatibility and headstarts are also not the reason for success. Look at the Xbox, it came out the same time as the Cube, costs more, is HUGE, no gaming history and comes from a company everyone hates. It is outselling the cube.

This is from 2003. Nintendo hasn't fixed much since.

-- Sony shipped its 60 millionth PS2 console on Sept. 6, 2003, a number that the Microsoft Xbox and Nintendo GameCube will not reach. Sony also appears to have successfully established the PS2 as an online platform with its Network Adaptor product.

-- Over the past year, Microsoft has successfully established the Xbox as the No. 2 console worldwide, surpassing the Nintendo GameCube. It has also attempted to establish its Xbox Live online service in all regions of the world. It has achieved initial online success in North America, but faces challenges in Europe and Japan.

-- Nintendo has had a very difficult year. Disappointing sales of its GameCube have caused more bad news for the company, from disappointing earnings reports to some third party developers beginning to scale back their commitment to the platform. Nintendo has acknowledged flaws in their GameCube marketing strategy, and hopes to recover their former standing in the console space. However, with two solid, deep-pocketed competitors, Nintendo faces the biggest challenge in its corporate history.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

lavar78
Professional Poster
Nov 26, 2004, 02:07 PM

I just looked it up -- according to one source, Xbox and GCN were in a virtual tie for second place at the end of 2003.

PS2 - 70 million
GCN - 13.9 million
Xbox - 13.7 million

Backwards compatibility and headstarts are also not the reason for success. Look at the Xbox, it came out the same time as the Cube, costs more, is HUGE, no gaming history and comes from a company everyone hates. It is outselling the cube.
Give me a break. The PS2 is killing both of them! You're saying backwards compatibility with the last generation's leader and a head start had nothing to do with that?

Addicted to MacNN
Nov 26, 2004, 02:25 PM

Give me a break. The PS2 is killing both of them! You're saying backwards compatibility with the last generation's leader and a head start had nothing to do with that?
Very little I think. I mean you could buy an old N64 for under $30 (which is cheaper than any adapter). You don't have to throw out your old system when a new one comes out.

I think Sony's marketing and wide game selection reputation from PS1 is what sold it. Not to mention it was the most powerful system on the market at the time and also played DVD's.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 2, 2004, 02:26 AM

I think I have given up hope on Starfox, looks like they are trying to combine a kiddy halo with space flight. All people want is a good space fighter!!!

"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

hayesk
Dec 2, 2004, 11:01 AM

I think Sony's marketing and wide game selection reputation from PS1 is what sold it. Not to mention it was the most powerful system on the market at the time and also played DVD's.
Panasonic sold a GameCube in Japan that played full size DVDs - I don't know why such a thing wasn't marketed here.

Professional Poster
Dec 2, 2004, 11:43 AM

Originally posted by hayesk:
Panasonic sold a GameCube in Japan that played full size DVDs - I don't know why such a thing wasn't marketed here.
It was rather expensive.

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2004, 12:30 PM

It isn't about backwords compatibility, having a head start, or hardware specs. There are three reasons why the PS2 is the market leader: best 3rd party support, it plays DVDs, and its reputation.

If the system with the head start dictates how well a system does, then you must have forgotten about the Sega Dreamcast. The Dreamcast was out before the PS2 and it died a sad death. The Dreamcast died because it didn't have enough 3rd party support and it's reputation with their previous system - Saturn. Many people wouldn't touch the Dreamcast because of what happened to the Saturn.

The same problem Sega had with the Dreamcast, Nintendo has with the Cube. Nintendo's reputation is not good with regards to their consoles. The Nintendo64 was a bust, they are perceived to be a kiddy game system, and they have weak 3rd party support - that is why the Cube doesn't do well. Their handhelds are a different story - a successes.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Dec 2, 2004, 12:31 PM

When the Gamecube starts losing money and all its 3rd party developers I'll call it a failure. Currently Nintendo is making money in its Gamecube devision (unlike Microsoft), the Gamecube market share is nearly on par with that of the XBox, and there is still a decently strong 3rd party movement.

The Mac may have the smallest market share, and no one is calling it a failure or on the edge of collapse.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Sarc
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2004, 01:33 PM

I don't mean to be the piracy promoting bastard of the thread, but ...

has anyone else noticed that Nintendo's consoles, over the years (N64 and GameCube) have been the hardest (if no impossible) to get pirated games for ?

A lot of people can afford to buy the console and say a game every month (or a couple of weeks), but many others can only afford the console and a game every 3 or 4 months, in the meantime they use pirated games.

Piracy does sell consoles. And as far statistics goes, the PSX, the greatest selling console so far, was all about piracy.
So developers look at the numbers. "hmm ok, we have the N64, with some millions of consoles out there, and we have the PSX, with several hundreds of millions of consoles out there."
It's not that hard to see wich one they will support, even if only a fraction of the users will buy the game, it's still more profitable.

Just my 2 cents.
:: frankenstein / lcd-less TiBook / 1GHz / radeon 9000 64MB / 1GB RAM / w/ext. 250GB fw drive / noname usb bluetooth dongle / d-link usb 2.0 pcmcia card / X.5.8
:: unibody macbook pro / 2.4 Ghz C2D / 6GB RAM / dell 2407wfp - X.6.3

hayesk
Dec 2, 2004, 01:53 PM

Originally posted by goMac:

The Mac may have the smallest market share, and no one is calling it a failure or on the edge of collapse.
Except the mainstream "technology press" and millions of ignorant PC users.

But then again, they are idiots, as would be anyone who judges the GameCube a failure.

Professional Poster
Dec 2, 2004, 01:58 PM

Except the mainstream "technology press" and millions of ignorant PC users.

But then again, they are idiots, as would be anyone who judges the GameCube a failure.
You'd have to be a bigger idiot thinking the N64 and Cube were a huge success. How else could you be the cheapest system on the market yet still go from owning the home console market to the one with the worst reputation and falling to last place. Heck, even being taken over by a newcomer by a company that everyone hates with the biggest, most expensive hardware and no previous home console experience.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Dec 2, 2004, 02:22 PM

Originally posted by Sarc:
Piracy does sell consoles. And as far statistics goes, the PSX, the greatest selling console so far, was all about piracy.
No, not it wasn't. Not when it actually rose to greatness, anyway; CD burners were still quite rare and modchips were unheard of. What propelled the PSX to greatness can be summed up in three words: Final Fantasy VII. Of course, it didn't hurt that the PSX and Saturn had huge head starts relative to the N64.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

goMac
Posting Junkie
Dec 2, 2004, 03:02 PM

Originally posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO:
You'd have to be a bigger idiot thinking the N64 and Cube were a huge success. How else could you be the cheapest system on the market yet still go from owning the home console market to the one with the worst reputation and falling to last place. Heck, even being taken over by a newcomer by a company that everyone hates with the biggest, most expensive hardware and no previous home console experience.
Just because you don't like it doesn't mean its a failure. The Gamecube market share is nearly on par with the XBox. And Nintendo actually makes money off them. Microsoft doesn't.
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2004, 03:19 PM

The Gamecube market share is nearly on par with the XBox.
And the sad part is this is Microsoft's first attempt at the console market while Nintendo has been in the industry for 21 years!

Professional Poster
Dec 2, 2004, 03:40 PM

And Nintendo actually makes money off them. Microsoft doesn't.
Here is the clincher (unless you have stock in Nintendo)...

NINTENDO MAKING MONEY OF HARDWARE SALES DOES NOT TRANSLATE INTO YOU GETTING MORE GOOD GAMES.

I would rather have them lose money on hardware sales and have more than Metroid and Zelda.

hayesk
Dec 2, 2004, 03:49 PM

You'd have to be a bigger idiot thinking the N64 and Cube were a huge success. How else could you be the cheapest system on the market yet still go from owning the home console market to the one with the worst reputation and falling to last place.
They have sold millions and make money. That equals success. Being less than #1 does not mean a failure. Even being last does not mean a failure if you have happy customers and make money. Is Walmart the only successful retail store? Is Apple not a successful computer maker?

Heck, even being taken over by a newcomer by a company that everyone hates with the biggest, most expensive hardware and no previous home console experience.
Uhm... the general public thinks Microsoft makes quality software. Most don't hate them. Most know less than squat about them. All they know is they make Windows - and I'll bet there's a good many people that own an XBox that don't know Micrsoft makes it.

It is irrelevant what you think of the console. It is successful despite not being the most popular. Nobody's forcing you to buy one.

Professional Poster
Dec 2, 2004, 03:56 PM

Uhm... the general public thinks Microsoft makes quality software. Most don't hate them. Most know less than squat about them. All they know is they make Windows - and I'll bet there's a good many people that own an XBox that don't know Micrsoft makes it.
The Microsoft creator jokes about how people were saying and still say to him "I hate Microsoft, but I love the XBOX".

I am the same way.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Dec 2, 2004, 04:04 PM

Here is the clincher (unless you have stock in Nintendo)...

NINTENDO MAKING MONEY OF HARDWARE SALES DOES NOT TRANSLATE INTO YOU GETTING MORE GOOD GAMES.

I would rather have them lose money on hardware sales and have more than Metroid and Zelda.
The Gamecube is built for different games. If you don't like those types of games, thats good for you. That doesn't mean the Gamecube is a failure. And as far as some majority opinion... Gamecube market share is right with XBox. Obviously Nintendo has found a market somewhere.

Edit:

Gamecube seems to be pretty earlier in the teen market. On our campus pretty much everyone is Gamecube. There are a decent amount of Halo 2 players on campus, but its not uncommon to have 3 games of smash brothers going in our hall along with mario kart. It's especially popular with girls (which means guys get it to get girls). I think you underestimate Nintendo.

Sarc
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2004, 04:04 PM

The Microsoft creator jokes about how people were saying and still say to him "I hate Microsoft, but I love the XBOX".

I am the same way.
so as the owner of all three consoles, wich one would you recommend as the best ?
:: frankenstein / lcd-less TiBook / 1GHz / radeon 9000 64MB / 1GB RAM / w/ext. 250GB fw drive / noname usb bluetooth dongle / d-link usb 2.0 pcmcia card / X.5.8
:: unibody macbook pro / 2.4 Ghz C2D / 6GB RAM / dell 2407wfp - X.6.3

lavar78
Professional Poster
Dec 2, 2004, 04:28 PM

Originally posted by waxcrash:
It isn't about backwords compatibility, having a head start, or hardware specs. There are three reasons why the PS2 is the market leader: best 3rd party support, it plays DVDs, and its reputation.

If the system with the head start dictates how well a system does, then you must have forgotten about the Sega Dreamcast. The Dreamcast was out before the PS2 and it died a sad death. The Dreamcast died because it didn't have enough 3rd party support and it's reputation with their previous system - Saturn. Many people wouldn't touch the Dreamcast because of what happened to the Saturn.

The same problem Sega had with the Dreamcast, Nintendo has with the Cube. Nintendo's reputation is not good with regards to their consoles. The Nintendo64 was a bust, they are perceived to be a kiddy game system, and they have weak 3rd party support - that is why the Cube doesn't do well. Their handhelds are a different story - a successes.
You're doing the same thing he is -- glossing over everything that doesn't help your point. The Dreamcast is irrelevant to this discussion because it wasn't backwards compatible with anything. It's a bit foolish for you to assume the PS2 is the market leader for only those three things. It's a combination of a lot of things! Yes, a head start alone gets you nowhere; I never implied anything to the contrary. Likewise, backward compatibility without a steady stream of new titles will probably doom any system. However, the PS2 was the first major console of this era to support the previous generation's games -- and it supported the #1 console's games at that! Assuming that that had absolutely no bearing on its success is just wrong. If you need a data point, it was definitely a reason I got a PS2. You also neglected to mention the big PS2 shortage here in the U.S. At one point, they were selling on eBay for higher than retail price. The PS2 was the hottest "toy" in the country for a while -- you don't have to be an economics major to know what that means.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Dec 2, 2004, 04:31 PM

so as the owner of all three consoles, wich one would you recommend as the best ?
Overall, I'd say the PS2 is the best. That being said, I've been playing my GameCube the most recently and I play my Xbox the least.

Professional Poster
Dec 2, 2004, 04:39 PM

3 years ago I would have never thought it or said it, but PS2 for sure. The games easily look better than most gameCube titles, the sound is better than every GameCube titles, the controller is better (for me) as it has a better button layout, more of them and bigger.

The option of the network is also cool.

All that aside the have such an amazing variety of games which is the most important thing.

Ratchet and Clank 1,2 & 3. Jak 1-3 are also incredible. Jak 3 is easily one of the best games in the past few years. The PS2 has better adventure games games than Nintendo which is sad as the N64 had some great ones.

I have about 50 games beween the 3 systems so i think I speak with a bit of experience. Not to mention the 200ish NES, N64 and SNES ones.

Professional Poster
Dec 15, 2004, 01:21 AM

From IGN:

"The real slap in the face comes from Nintendo. That company first required gamers to purchase crappy Nintendo branded component video cables from Nintendo itself just to get progressive scan games. Now it has pulled all component video support out of its newer GameCubes and games. That's a slap to the face, a punch to the junk, and an elbow to the base of the skull. It's like telling every gamer who prefers a high quality audio / video experience to go eff himself because the Big N just doesn't give a damn about you. Unbelievable. That kind of move really infuriates me."

Personally I tried to find the High-def pack for the first year after the cube came out, nobody got any from Nintendo and next to no games support widescreen anyway even though just about all PS2 and XBOX games do.

MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
Dec 15, 2004, 01:27 AM

Urge to buy Cube for just a couple of games growing... growing...

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Dec 15, 2004, 05:16 AM

zomg i posted in this thread again

Professional Poster
Jan 14, 2005, 12:53 AM

It seems the Cube is running into the same problem as the N64 even more. The N64 captured the kid market and when the best game for the system came out and was for adults if didn't sell well, same thing just happened with the Metroid sequel.

"Some analysts believe that the lower sales count for Metroid Prime 2 is a direct result of a Nintendo that has largely skewed its games for a younger audience and alienated many older players."

"Data gathered by the NPD Group through December 2004 shows that approximately 470,000 copies of Prime 2 were sold to GameCube owners. By comparison, the original Metroid Prime sold more than 722,000 copies during the same period in 2002. "

http://cube.ign.com/articles/579/579600p1.html

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2005, 01:59 AM

470,000 is still a whole lot of sales.

I think the reason that it's sales are lagging is because everyone has put the gamecube out of their minds.

That and the reviews haven't been perfect 10s for the new Metroid. I think a lot of people are sorta put off and intimidated by the light world/dark world concept. I know I was, but I've really ended up enjoying the game so far.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

meelk
Baninated
Jan 14, 2005, 03:00 AM

Nintendo continues to make profit. I believe they give a crap what you think. heh.

Professional Poster
Jan 14, 2005, 03:02 AM

Originally posted by meelk:
Nintendo continues to make profit. I believe they give a crap what you think. heh.
Right, declining market share doesn't bother them at all.

Professional Poster
Jan 14, 2005, 03:24 AM

My point is there is NOTHING currently unique about the gamecube. It doesn't have any advantages over the Xbox (other than size) and has so many downsides. Even the old PS2 seems to do a better part in most games.

Nintendo does have the odd good game like Zelda, Pikmen but it is hardly enough to justify the system.

I think Nintendo would do even better just developing games for other systems.

We all know the next nintendo "Revolution" will just have something nutty like a touch screen controller.

willed
Professional Poster
Jan 14, 2005, 04:35 AM

Right, declining market share doesn't bother them at all.
You realise this is a Mac discussion board?

Honestly, is it your life's mission to find every negative bit of press about the GC? Okay, we get the picture, you think the GC sucks. Now can you just stop going on about it?

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jan 14, 2005, 07:18 AM

My point is there is NOTHING currently unique about the gamecube. It doesn't have any advantages over the Xbox (other than size
... and better RPGs). It's also cheaper.

I know you like to go on and on, but there are plenty of people who like the GCN just fine. AFAIC, Zelda is better than every Xbox game; that's reason enough to own a Gamecube for me.

Naplander
Senior User
Jan 14, 2005, 08:05 AM

Resident Evil 4
KEEPING THE PEACE - WITH FORCE

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2005, 11:12 AM

I like my GameCube Xbox combo. I have my XBox to play games on, and then once a year, when a great GameCube game comes out, I can play that too. Yeah!

Nintendo is reallly screwed. America is almost twice the market that Japan is now and Americans are putting Nintendo out of their minds.

After the horrilble support we've seen for both the N64 and GameCube, how many people are going to line up to buy Revolution? Not that many. I suspect that Revolution will fail and will be the last time Nintendo makes their own console.

Either that, or Revolution will be a device that isn't necessarily a console and won't directly compete with the PS3 and XBox Next. Maybe a Virtual Reality headset or something. Who knows.

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2005, 01:52 PM

Originally posted by ort888:
I like my GameCube Xbox combo. I have my XBox to play games on, and then once a year, when a great GameCube game comes out, I can play that too. Yeah!

Nintendo is reallly screwed. America is almost twice the market that Japan is now and Americans are putting Nintendo out of their minds.

After the horrilble support we've seen for both the N64 and GameCube, how many people are going to line up to buy Revolution? Not that many. I suspect that Revolution will fail and will be the last time Nintendo makes their own console.

Either that, or Revolution will be a device that isn't necessarily a console and won't directly compete with the PS3 and XBox Next. Maybe a Virtual Reality headset or something. Who knows.
You got it 100%. I bought the GC with high hopes and they were supposed to fix all the flaws with N64. Turns out the cube is much worse in the end.

i own all 3 systems and I buy about 7 games a year for both the PS2 and Xbox and one maybe 2 per year for GC. Those 2 I buy aren't even that great but I am eager to find a reason to keep the cube.

Zelda was very good but it would have been even better if it was for the Xbox.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2005, 03:09 PM

I'm looking forward Resident Evil 4. It's getting crazy buzz on gaming boards. From the sound of it, it's supposedly some sort of revolutionary experience and is one of the best games of this generation.

I haven't been paying that close attention to it, since I knew I would just end up buying it no matter what, but it looks like I'mm in for a treat.

Now I just need to beat Metroid Prime 2 so I can unwrap it and get started.

2 GameCube games in a row? Unbelievable!

Too bad nothing else is coming out that I'm interested in until Zelda at the end of the year.

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2005, 03:52 PM

My wife and I had an N64, of which we loved Mario 64, Banjo 1 & 2, and of course, Zelda games.

My wife loves Mario and Zelda games. Not Paper Mario or Tennis or whatever, Mario 64. Best. Video Game. Ever. (Well, for it's time.)

So we jumped right out there and bought a GameCube. What a waste of time/money. Mario Sunshine sucked so bad. Repetitive. Repetitive. Did I say that twice?

Zelda the Wind Waker was awesome, but my wife didn't like the cell-shaded look. No way were we going to touch Donkey Konga. The sports titles we had were available for other platforms (SSX 3, Madden, etc.)

If they would have had a bigger, better graphic version of Mario 64, we'd still have the Cube. But they didn't. We sold it.

Now I can't wait to get home to play Halo 2 on xbox live. Or Knights of the Old Republic. Or Fable. Or...

I don't like Microsoft, but they have done so many things RIGHT with the xbox - from purchasing Bungie and Rare to the internal storage to xbox live - that I AM a convert to xbox. It kicks ass (though PS2 is still the better platform for Madden - the controller just works better with the two triggers on both sides.)
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2005, 04:05 PM

Originally posted by davesimondotcom:
My wife and I had an N64, of which we loved Mario 64, Banjo 1 & 2, and of course, Zelda games.

My wife loves Mario and Zelda games. Not Paper Mario or Tennis or whatever, Mario 64. Best. Video Game. Ever. (Well, for it's time.)

So we jumped right out there and bought a GameCube. What a waste of time/money. Mario Sunshine sucked so bad. Repetitive. Repetitive. Did I say that twice?

Zelda the Wind Waker was awesome, but my wife didn't like the cell-shaded look. No way were we going to touch Donkey Konga. The sports titles we had were available for other platforms (SSX 3, Madden, etc.)

If they would have had a bigger, better graphic version of Mario 64, we'd still have the Cube. But they didn't. We sold it.

Now I can't wait to get home to play Halo 2 on xbox live. Or Knights of the Old Republic. Or Fable. Or...

I don't like Microsoft, but they have done so many things RIGHT with the xbox - from purchasing Bungie and Rare to the internal storage to xbox live - that I AM a convert to xbox. It kicks ass (though PS2 is still the better platform for Madden - the controller just works better with the two triggers on both sides.)
I feel the same. SMS was one of the worst games ever. So ugly, repetitive and small worlds.

I HATE microsoft, I don't use any of their products if I don't have to. The Xbox is incredible though and the fact that it is outselling PS2's now is nothing short of remarkable considering they are new to the market and not someone who has 20 years of gaming experience. Even Sony's PS1 was a newcomer and it slaughtered Nintendo.

I would sell my gameCube but I want to see if the next zelda actually comes out of gets moved to the new system.

So far I completely hate RE4.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

TheBadgerHunter
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2005, 04:28 PM

What moronic tripe. Starwarsguy, were you born an ass or did that just develop over time?

The Cube is a good system, nothing wrong with it at all except a lack of easy internet or GBA connectivity (something with should have been built in). Otherwise its a fine console. If sony has taught us anything its that it doesn't matter if the console is cutting edge or not its the games and just the games.

As far as games go the cube has some great games and some of the best RPGs. Also has some great arcade games and a few good shooters. Sure, it doesn't have the over-hyped shooters of the Xbox or the sheer number the PS2 has but its still a damn good console.

Everyone who is saying the revolution will suck is simply being stupid. Do you know what they're planning? Of course not. Maybe they'll learn from the gamecube, maybe they won't. Maybe it won't appeal to YOU but that doesn't mean its crap.

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2005, 05:00 PM

Originally posted by TheBadgerHunter:

The Cube is a good system, nothing wrong with it at all except a lack of easy internet or GBA connectivity
Or more importantly, 3rdpart support.

You seem to think that the PS2 and Xbox are only good for shooting games.
Out of my 40 games from those systems 2 are shooters (Halo 1 and 2)

I have more adventure games for the PS2 that GC and they are all incredible.

Even if the GC gets a 3rd party game it is almost always available for the other systems and is always better on the Xbox in many ways.
( Last edited by Severed Hand of Skywalker; Jan 14, 2005 at 05:35 PM. )

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2005, 05:25 PM

It's not really fair to call Mario Sunshine one of thhe worst games ever. Super Mario Sunshine wasn't a bad game. It was just a mediocre game. Probably an 8 out of 10.

The problem was that we expect so much more out of a Mario title. Aside from Mario 2, which was still pretty good, every other Mario game has been something like an 11 out of 10. Every single one was flawless and amazing. Not Sunshine. It felt like some third party adventure game staring a wacky sass-talking beaver or something. It was just all wrong.

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2005, 05:35 PM

Originally posted by ort888:
It's not really fair to call Mario Sunshine one of thhe worst games ever. Super Mario Sunshine wasn't a bad game. It was just a mediocre game. Probably an 8 out of 10.
Out of the games I own it is definitely one of the worst. Safe to say it is also the worst Mario game ever.

I give it 6 out of 10.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

TheBadgerHunter
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2005, 06:15 PM

Or more importantly, 3rdpart support.

You seem to think that the PS2 and Xbox are only good for shooting games.
Out of my 40 games from those systems 2 are shooters (Halo 1 and 2)

I have more adventure games for the PS2 that GC and they are all incredible.

Even if the GC gets a 3rd party game it is almost always available for the other systems and is always better on the Xbox in many ways.
Seem to think? I never said anything even suggesting that all they have is shooting games. I said the GC has SOME of the best RPGs but few good shooters and that the PS2 and Xbox had very good shooters.

I didn't say anything about adventure games.

Always better? How so? Explain your statements if you want people to take them as something other than incoherent spouting.

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2005, 06:24 PM

Originally posted by TheBadgerHunter:

Always better? How so? Explain your statements if you want people to take them as something other than incoherent spouting.
Ok I have explained it many times but I guess you need to hear it again.

If a games come out for PS2, GC and XBOX here are the results:

The Xbox game will ALWAYS look the best
The PS2 and XBOX version will have the best quality audio
The PS2 version will have the lowest framerates
The Gamecube will have the poorest audio in terms of compression to fit on those small disks. Worse cut scenes (again, because of file size)
The GameCube will have NO online play
The GameCube will have the worst button layout on complex games because of fewer buttons
The Xbox usually has the fastest load times because of cashing on the hard drive
The PS2 version will sell the most.

The cube does have good graphic capabilities but still not up to the Xbox. even stranger is even though the GC can it almost never has true widescreen or progressive support when even when almost PS2 games do.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jan 14, 2005, 06:30 PM

The Xbox is incredible though and the fact that it is outselling PS2's now is nothing short of remarkable considering they are new to the market and not someone who has 20 years of gaming experience.
Keep in mind everyone and their mom already has a PS2.

I absolutely love Paper Mario. Mario Tennis is also quite good, but I'm not sure it tops the N64 version. That's understandable, though -- the mechanics of the original were perfect. I love Top Spin, but Mario Tennis is the most realistic tennis game ever.

TheBadgerHunter
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2005, 08:21 PM

The GameCube will have the worst button layout on complex games because of fewer buttons

The cube does have good graphic capabilities but still not up to the Xbox. even stranger is even though the GC can it almost never has true widescreen or progressive support when even when almost PS2 games do.
All true except those two. It has no fewer buttons than a PS2 controller does.

mishap
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2005, 08:21 PM

Originally posted by Naplander:
Resident Evil 4
exactly.

i'm finally going to have time to play it this weekend.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 14, 2005, 08:46 PM

Ok I have explained it many times but I guess you need to hear it again.

If a games come out for PS2, GC and XBOX here are the results:

Not true. Gamecube has online play support and some games support it. In addition, a lot of games now are starting to support LAN play on the GameCube, Mario Kart being a big one.

I like GameCube best. Reminds me of the n64 controller which I loved.

The Xbox usually has the fastest load times because of cashing on the hard drive
Depends on that one. The GameCube uses smaller discs so the load times from disc are faster on GameCube, not to mention the GameCubes memory cards are much faster than the XBox's hard drive.

Forum Links
Forum Rules