Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Help needed please

Help needed please
twinkletwinkle
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 28, 2007, 02:55 PM

Hello everyone

I have had my mac lap top for nearly a year now and sometimes it seems to just freeze. I was wondering if I should have some sort of clear out of all the rubbish that I am sure I have on here with out knowing it!

I always make sure when I empty my trash can i choose the secure emty trash to make sure things are not still saved. Is there anythng else I can do?

Thank you in advance

Nai no Kami
Senior User
May 28, 2007, 03:42 PM

If by freeze you mean you enter in a non-recoverable state (i.e., you must restart/force restart the computer), the culprit could be bad RAM or other hardware failure. You can run the Apple Hardware Test tool that comes in your OS install discs. Otherwise, it could be any sort of software problem (system modifications, haxies, enablers and such). Usually applications that are installed using packages (*.pkg files) install things beyond the "Applications" folder; you may want to check if you had installed those.
Unless you are not leaving any space on your boot HD (or leaving very little space), having files in your trash should render no problems to your system.

Y no entienden nada... ¡y cómo se divierten!...

shinykaro
Forum Regular
May 29, 2007, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Nai no Kami View Post
If by freeze you mean you enter in a non-recoverable state (i.e., you must restart/force restart the computer), the culprit could be bad RAM or other hardware failure. You can run the Apple Hardware Test tool that comes in your OS install discs. Otherwise, it could be any sort of software problem (system modifications, haxies, enablers and such). Usually applications that are installed using packages (*.pkg files) install things beyond the "Applications" folder; you may want to check if you had installed those.
Unless you are not leaving any space on your boot HD (or leaving very little space), having files in your trash should render no problems to your system.
Ditto on all that. And then there's the usual PC standby tricks - how often do you reboot? Is it on for long periods of time when it begins to freeze? Do you install your software updates from Apple or ignore them?

If it's a forced restart freeze, those probably won't help much, if it's just a slowdown temporary freeze, check to see what's running and eating up your RAM, maybe you have background stuff on that you can turn off. There's also a widget you can download that makes it easy for you to quit Dashboard, which could save you some memory.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
May 29, 2007, 03:51 PM

What machine is it? One thing you should try is to set up a new user account, and see if you can replicate the problem there. If so, then it is likely a hardware issue, and not an artifact of some software issue. You might also want to think about a more informative thread title, it helps people to respond by telling them whether they should look at your thread before they open it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules