Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Modify Keyboard Layout

Modify Keyboard Layout
drnkn_stylz
Senior User
Oct 6, 2009, 02:30 PM

I need to modify my keyboard layout to change the Help key to sent the Insert code instead. I'm using a Citrix ICA client to remote connect to my mom's work PC (Windows XP). She uses an old DOS program that requires you to press the Insert key to enter a new order. When we are remote connected, and we press Help (which is supposed to be Insert) it still sends the Help command.

Does anyone know a way I can modify the keyboard layout in OSX to change Help (or any other key) into Insert? Even through 3rd party software is fine.
..13" MacBook Pro | 2.53gHz | 4gb RAM | 320gb Seagate Momentus XT | OSX.6.6.. // iPhone 4 32gb

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 8, 2009, 08:52 PM

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 8, 2009, 09:20 PM

Let me know if this works.

I tried to create a custom keyboard with Ukelele in 10.5, it never worked for me.

-t

Nai no Kami
Senior User
Oct 8, 2009, 11:45 PM

I have today successfully remapped the return key of my old PowerBook G4 to the enter key beside the right command (apple) key after my return refused to operate and I wait for the spare keyboard to arrive*.

I assigned the enter key the same code the return key had (the code is displayed after double clicking a key). Then I saved the keyboard layouts in ~/Library/Keyboard Layouts after logging out and back in, it was selectable from the list in the International preference pane.

Additionally, somewhere in the documentation says that Leopard seeks for changes in the keyboard layouts folder in order to Include the new layout, so after exiting a file, you are advised to put it out of the folder and back again for the system to include on the list.

* speaking of replacing a keyboard, I received a rather rude answer from an authorized service and I would like to file a complaint with Apple. Does somebody know which could be the best way to do it? I couldn't find any suitable item at apple.com

Y no entienden nada... ¡y cómo se divierten!...

Forum Links
Forum Rules