Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Weird Graphics appearing 'on top' of web pages

Weird Graphics appearing 'on top' of web pages
englandmademe
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2003, 09:28 AM

I have this really annoying problem where strange 'flag' shaped graphics appear on screen when browsing. This happened in IE 5 (which I don't use any more) but also happens in Safari.

Please see screen shot to see what I'm talking about!

http://www.parallaxstudios.co.uk/test/testimage.html

I also have what might be associated disappearing text problems and Photoshop not being able to initialise the text engine..

Please help!!

I'm running OS X 10.2.6 on a dual processor 867 G4

thanks

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2003, 11:57 AM

Graphical glitches like this are sometimes associated with the display card, but if this limited to browsers only, then it's a bit weird.

What display card do you have?

Also, is there any pattern to their appearance, such as only after surfing for a while?

J

englandmademe  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2003, 04:05 PM

The display card is the one which came with my Mac (can't remember which one and couldn't find any reference to it on system profiler).

There is no real pattern to this problem other than the colour of the 'flag' graphics seems to relate to the colour of text underneath. So on the screenshot for ebay they are blue, however it does vary.

I noticed associated problems around the same time

1. Text disapeared occasionally from web pages and from system and application menus. ie the apple menu would literally be blank. This is often followed by a crash which I cannot force quit from...

2. I can no longer write text using photoshop due to it not being able to initialise the text engine (although it's okay in illustrator?)

I know I could probably solve this with a complete system re-install but obviously I would like to leave that as a very last resort

thanks.

Mac Enthusiast
Oct 29, 2003, 04:58 PM

May have a corrupted font (or two). Can you replace your /Library/Fonts/ and ~/Library/Fonts folders with those that came on the install discs?

OS X has very poor error checking for bad fonts.

englandmademe  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2003, 06:07 PM

THANK YOU! 00101001 and Judge_Fire

I removed some fonts folders that I had dropped into my library/fonts folder and that has solved both problems!!

However I am slightly confused over fonts when using OS X and OS 9.

It used to be straightforward using ATM Deluxe (or equivalent) in OS9 but I am unsure of how to do this now.

Using QuarkXpress in OS9 in Classic, will it pick up fonts in my library/fonts folder in OS X? Or do I separately need to add fonts into a 'fonts' folder that I create for OS 9.

Any recommendations for font management software in this dual OS set up would be very welcome - thanks again for solving my main problem, really appreciated.

Forum Links
Forum Rules