Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Simple Online Backup service/app

Simple Online Backup service/app
Tee
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 8, 2010, 05:57 AM

Do any of the free online backup services use an app that doesn't install all kinds of background processes??

philm
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2010, 12:00 PM

Well, they need to use some sort of process, surely. I looked around at this two months ago, and I went with Backblaze as it seemed the most Mac-like of the online options. It runs as a simple preference pane. Two months on, and my laptop (with its somewhat intermittent internet access) has nearly been backed up completely!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 8, 2010, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Tee View Post
Do any of the free online backup services use an app that doesn't install all kinds of background processes??
A backup strategy that relies on manual execution of the backup is NOT a very solid one.

-t

djshack
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2010, 06:54 PM

I second the BackBlaze suggestion. It's by far the most Mac-like and unobtrusive of all the ones I've tried. It also backs up relatively quickly (limited by your connection) and reliably. I also don't notice any slowdown or battery life decrease.

I tried CrashPlan in the past and it made my battery life shorter, and also had issues staying connected and finding a connection.

Note: I know these are not free options. They're both $5 a month, but worth it as a backup to your local backup.

Tee  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 10, 2010, 09:12 AM

Looks like SpiderOak can be run totally manually with a standalone only app.

GuillaumeB
Forum Regular
Aug 12, 2010, 06:56 PM

It really depends what kind of backup you want and how much storage.
I personnally use the awesome Dropbox with weekly incremental backups using Apple Backup

Free and super reliable
( Last edited by GuillaumeB; Sep 1, 2010 at 07:36 AM. )
My website
MBP 13" Uni - 4GB RAM
MBP 15" - 4GB RAM

Forum Links
Forum Rules