Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Webpage File Interface Advice Needed

Webpage File Interface Advice Needed
JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Feb 5, 2010, 12:52 AM

Hey guys and gals of MacNN. I have a webpage question for you.

I've been helping main the website wideislandview.com for awhile now, and we've recently discussed putting together a database of school resources. Pictures, lesson plans, tests, worksheets. That kind of thing. Now my question to you is how exactly is the easiest way of doing that?

The first thing that popped into my head was setting up some sort of php file interface. Something where all you have to do is drop a file on the server and the script does all the work. Wellllll on that front, is there a specific script you'd recommend? Something nice looking? (Yes I have googled this, and yes it was overwhelming the number of links I got.)

Thanks a lot guys. I bow before your greatness of being.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Feb 5, 2010, 08:08 AM

this will walk you through a very SIMPLE html form and php script do the job. following the directions, very simple. once you have the basics, you can "pretty up" the html file for your users.

PHP File Upload - PHP Upload Script - Upload file script

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 5, 2010, 02:00 PM

Could you better define what "all the work" means, please?

JoshuaZ  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 6, 2010, 08:25 AM

"all the work" meaning that when we drop a new file on the server, I don't have to do anything to make it appear on the webpage. Meaning I don't have to go in and manually make links to files on the server.

residentEvil, I'll give it a try. While having it look pretty would be nice, I'd rather have it be completely functional and easy to use.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 6, 2010, 03:18 PM

Joshua: a web based file upload would to the trick, or else if these files are going to be uploaded by you you can just use whatever means you want to dump the files into a directory. From there you could build a web-based client for accessing these files sort of like I've done here: Fulcrum Acoustic: Downloads . This page just reads the contents of a directory and creates this view, respecting the same file hierarchy.

JoshuaZ  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 6, 2010, 11:38 PM

I'll have to give that a try this weekend. Thanks for the advice!

The easier it is to use, the less work I have to do to coordinate the people who run the site with me.

JoshuaZ  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 8, 2010, 11:15 PM

So I've set up PHPFileNavigator 2 on my website.

PHPfileNavigator, the web file manager

Its running very well and wasn't too nerve racking to set up.

Wide Island View Document Center

BUTTTTTTT here is a question for you. There is a login screen (as there should be). I'd like it so that by default the login/password fields will automatically be filled in with the 'guest' settings.

Meaning a 'guest' user should only have to hit 'submit' to login, and not have to type anything.

Any ideas on how to do this?

Forum Links
Forum Rules