Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Our Archives > General Archives > Delicious Monster > Importing from file

Importing from file
VideoBeagle
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 1, 2007, 12:08 AM

So, I'm trying to import from a file. I exported a dvd listing to use as a template.

I brought the file into Excel, figured out what at least some of the columns mean, though the Medium column which exports as listing of Movie, needs to have DVD in it to import and have format show up right.

One problem I'm having, is that mediacount doesn't import in. the field gets left blank in DL.

Am I missing something? Is there an easier way of doing this?

Delicious Monster
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 1, 2007, 06:12 PM

If you're trying to import Delicious Library data, you'll have better results just moving the data file itself. I'm not sure what the deal is with the media count.

This is why I am writing a completely new import engine for Delicious Library 2.

VideoBeagle  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 1, 2007, 08:10 PM

I'm entering DVD-Rom collections I've made, listed on a tab-delineated file.
No DL data exists yet.

Delicious Monster
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 2, 2007, 10:52 AM

I'd be interested in seeing your tab-delimited text file. I'm writing the new importing right now, as I mentioned, and I'd love a non-standard test case. I might even be able to export it to Delicious Library 1.6.5 for you.

If you're interested, zip it up and email it to [email protected]
( Last edited by Delicious Monster; Aug 2, 2007 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Forgot email instructions.)

VideoBeagle  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 2, 2007, 03:28 PM

(I sent the zip file with a sample of the excel file and the text file---I'm reposting the process I use for other forum members)

The process I use is that I did an export from DL to a text file.
I opened that text file in Excel.
I then figured out which fields do which through trial and error...it doesn't match up real well from export to import.

{For example, "Medium" on the exported file reads as Books, Movies, Games, or Music. But for import, it needs to be the format, so "DVD", "VHS", "Paperback" etc. The import engine uses this field to fill in the "Format" and the Entry Type.
The export engine puts the Format into the "Aspect" field...but on import, this field does nothing.

Likewise, Mediacount lists the media count on export, but the field seems to be ignored on import.}

In Excel I hid the columns that I don't use (most of them..like the URLs, the Amazon #'s, etc).
After the list has been done, I save the Excel file as tab-delineated, and then Import from File back into DL (making sure the re-look up imported Items box is unchecked...otherwise, you get a slew of "lookup failed errors")

Then it's just a matter of going thru and cleaning up entries, adding custom art, etc.

Generally this works fine, especially when you have a long list of items to import. But as I've decided to group 2 part discs as one entry with a media count of 2 rather than as a part 1 and part 2 separate entries, I've found this field doesn't import.

Delicious Monster
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 3, 2007, 02:49 PM

You should keep the Amazon #, for two very good reasons. First, because for books, this is also the ISBN. Second, because if you want to reload (either at import time, or later) you'll need it. The best reason to reload, by the way, is to get the cover art.

Indeed, assuming you don't have a lot of custom data and just want to get your stuff in there, you can import nothing but the ASIN and just download all your data from Amazon.

VideoBeagle  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 12, 2007, 04:25 PM

The things I'm trying to import via text don't have Amazon numbers.
These are DVD-Rs I've made from things taped off my dvr, or fan films and stuff like that.

Additional: I've found the Language column works.

I don't know if it's part of the problem with the "# of Media" field import, but I've found that it ignores "1"
If you manually enter "1" into the field after importing, it will reset to an empty field when you return to the title.

Delicious Monster
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 14, 2007, 12:24 PM

Oh right. Why didn't I think of that?

So, Delicious Library doesn't show a field unless it differs from the default. The default on most things is 0, but the default on # of media is 1. Knowing that something has 1 part is not interesting. Knowing something has 0 or 2 parts is.

VideoBeagle  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 16, 2007, 04:57 PM

I wondering if that behavior is what's causing the import problem on the meida # field. Like, if instead of listing something as having "2" I list it as having "+1"... I'll have to try that @ home tonite.

Forum Links
Forum Rules