Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Air Extreem after Asante Router

Air Extreem after Asante Router
mrenaissance
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 14, 2003, 01:24 AM

I currenly have my AE between my cable modem and my asante router. All works great but I am not taking advantage of the usb network printer option. Since the router and modem are in the back of my studio I would like to move my AE to the front of the studio next to my usb printer so all of my wireless ibooks can print to that printer.

When I move the AE and connect a LAN wire to it, I lose my wireless connection. I restart router and base station. I know it works because they do it at the apple stores. Where am I not configuring something?

Thank you

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Feb 14, 2003, 12:11 PM

Hmmm...after moving, you run a CAT5 cable from a port on the router into the "LAN" port in the AE Base Station, right? Also, you'll need to run the CAT5 cable that's leaving the cable modem all the way into the "WAN" port on the AE Base Station. Are you doing that? If so, then unfortuantely I'm too much of a newbie to offer any more help...hopefully someone can chime in. Good luck!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

mrenaissance  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 14, 2003, 12:19 PM

Currently because it is working there is a cable from the modem to the AE and from the AE to the asante WAN. All works great but I want to move the AE to be AFTER THE ASANTE.

Yes I tried a cable from asante to AE I am wondering if I change that cable to a cross over cable will it work.

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2003, 12:36 PM

Originally posted by mrenaissance:
Currently because it is working there is a cable from the modem to the AE and from the AE to the asante WAN. All works great but I want to move the AE to be AFTER THE ASANTE.

Yes I tried a cable from asante to AE I am wondering if I change that cable to a cross over cable will it work.
Wait a sec... Why do you need the Asante at all? If your gonna run a cable from the back to the front, why not just eliminate the Asante completely?

mrenaissance  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 14, 2003, 02:03 PM

because in the back is where all of my network cables home run.

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2003, 06:19 PM

OK, well make sure ONLY the Asante is distributing IPs via DHCP. The AE should not.

bbales
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2003, 08:29 PM

OK, granted I'm really new at this, too (like, about 4 days, in terms of wireless!)

I have an ethernet cable running from the router (to which two wired computers are hooked and which is also connected to a DSL modem) to the LAN port. That's it.

Mostly it works great -- in fact, the laptop finds the network right away. But twice the base station has inexplicably gone down. All i need to do is unplug everything and wait a bit, then all works well again.

Of course perhaps the wholeneighborhood is sharing my connection! As I said, I'm still learning.

But that setup does work really well.

Beth

mrenaissance  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 17, 2003, 08:39 PM

I figured it out. Thanks to everyone.

What I did was from the asante lan port I changed my network cable with a cross over cable. That cross over cable goes into my AE then a regular cable out of the AE to the imac and all of the wireless computers see the base station and all the computers on the network redevouze over to the usb printer. Works like a champ.

javascript:smilie('')

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2003, 10:37 PM

Is your AE serving IPs? Check all the IPs of the comps. They should all be on the same subnet.

mrenaissance  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 18, 2003, 12:51 PM

I am not sure. I will check next time I am at their office. But all is working great. They are very happy, the printer works from any computer.

Forum Links
Forum Rules