Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Pondering aloud...

Pondering aloud...
burmeseboy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2004, 05:10 AM

Hi, I'm new to computers so go easy on me.

I about to buy a mac for the first time and the intriguing thing about the powerbook is the superdirve but I'm not entirely sure what it's capable of...

I'm living in Japan now where it's not easy to get hold of new movie/TV releases from the States and especially the UK. I want to be able to download movie files from the net and then record them. Is the superdrive the thing for me or would I be better off getting an ibook and external DVD-R?

And, does the superdrive allow me to play/burn DVDs from various regions? Is there software I can buy/download for free that will enable me to do so?

Thanks.

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2004, 05:47 AM

the UK is region 2, as is japan so your drive should be fine. but you can't easily buy DVDs from the UK and the US? buy them at your local video store or buy them online.

-r.

burmeseboy  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2004, 06:02 AM

granted, and thanks for the map My problem is that the majority of things are released way...behind, we've just got the first series of 24! My co-worker's boyfriend downloaded the entire season2 from the net and she's watching it on his computer while I'm salivating at snippets of series2 in trailers. I want to be able to do what he's doing!!

If I'm interested in burning movie files like that, will the superdrive satisfy or would I be (much) better off with the higher burning speeds available on an external drive?

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 10, 2004, 10:09 AM

Originally posted by burmeseboy:
granted, and thanks for the map My problem is that the majority of things are released way...behind, we've just got the first series of 24! My co-worker's boyfriend downloaded the entire season2 from the net and she's watching it on his computer while I'm salivating at snippets of series2 in trailers. I want to be able to do what he's doing!!

If I'm interested in burning movie files like that, will the superdrive satisfy or would I be (much) better off with the higher burning speeds available on an external drive?
Yes if you want to burn them a Superdrive would allow you to do that.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Forum Links
Forum Rules