Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > How many years do you expect to get out of a powerook?

View Poll Results: How many years do powerbooks hold up?
Poll Options:
1 year 3 votes (2.36%)
2 years 26 votes (20.47%)
3 years 45 votes (35.43%)
4 years 28 votes (22.05%)
> 4 years 25 votes (19.69%)
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll
How many years do you expect to get out of a powerook?
paully dub
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2004, 06:55 PM

The 1ghz TiBook I'm writing this on is going to be 2 years old soon. I'll have AppleCare for another couple years, but realistically how long can one expect to be productive on one's powerbook? Obviously software and OS is a factor, but on the average.

Adopt-A-Yankee

cenutrio
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2004, 07:38 PM

My TiPB 400 upgraded (1 GB RAM, 40 GB 5,400) still holds and works fine. I use it to write my PhD thesis in microbiology.

I expect to use it at least for another year.
-original iMac, TiPB 400, Cube, Macbook (black), iMac 24ยจ, plus the original iPod and a black nano 4GB-

macintologist
Professional Poster
Dec 5, 2004, 08:25 PM

3 years before you even consider thinking about buying a new one.

Phat Bastard
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 5, 2004, 10:32 PM

I don't understand what you're getting at with this question. Do you mean how long do you think a Powerbook will last, from a hardware-not-malfunctioning point-of-view? Or do you mean how long will a Powerbook last and not be slow as hell with updated software?

My answer to the first question is 5 years, at least, but my answer to the second is about 3. After 2 years, there will be such a cooler new PB out that you'll want to buy the new one, but after 3 it will probably be necessary for you to buy a new one.

I voted 2 years, since my first PB lasted me a little over 2, and my current PB will be 2 years old at my next upgrade. Especially if there's a G5 on the horizon..
The world needs more Canada.
PB 12" 867 MHz, 640 MB RAM, AE, OS 10.4.2
Black iPod nano 4GB

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2004, 10:41 PM

at least 3 years to get me out of high school. i sure hope the hardware lasts.
iamwhor3hay

Voch
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2004, 11:32 PM

My refurb 667/DVI is going to be 2 years old in early February.

MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2004, 09:59 AM

3 years due to my lack of money. Getting out of college and finding a job... I think I'll just spend $200 and buy a GameCube or something if I ever get the urge to play games. Maybe mod an xbox.

benwhanlee
Forum Regular
Dec 6, 2004, 10:31 AM

my 667 dvi is two years old. i'm hoping to get at least a couple more years out of it. applecare was key to me getting to this point...i've had my hard drive, my cd-rw drive, the top case/trackpad and power harness assembly (where you plug your power cord in) all replaced. i think what will happen is at some point, something will need replacing after my applecare expires, and instead of paying to fix it i'll just put it into retirement. luckily, i've got a 1.25 to fall back on...
15" Al PB 1.67, 15" Ti PB 667, Power Mac 400

iREZ
Professional Poster
Dec 6, 2004, 02:01 PM

I got a year under my belt with my 12" PB, I'm hoping it doesn't slow down too much by the end of next year where I find myself upgrading to a (hopefully) G5 PB. So chalk me up for 2 years.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2004, 09:17 PM

I waited until the most recent PB revision before replacing my TiBook 400, which I sold to a friend who now uses it every day.

sodamnregistered2
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 7, 2004, 01:35 PM

I'd say the smart play, would be to buy a Powerbook and 3 year Applecare. Use it for 2, maybe 2 1/2 years. Sell it while it's still under warranty.

Machine will last longer, just depends how you want to play the upgrade train.
MacBook Pro C2D 2.16GHz 2GB 120GB OSX 10.4.9, Boot Camp 1.2, Vista Home Premium
mac mini 1.42, 60GB 7200rpm, 1GB (sold), dual 2GHz/G5 (sold), Powerbook 15" 1GHz (sold)
dual G4 800MHz (sold), dual G4 450MHz (sold), G4 450MHz (sold), Powerbook Pismo G3 500MHz (sold)
PowerMac 9500 132MHz 601, dual 180MHz 604e, Newer G3 400MHz (in closet)
Powermac 7100 80MHz (sold), Powermac 7100 66MHz (sold)

Voch
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2004, 04:33 PM

My plan is to hand-me-down my TiBook 667/DVI to my Dad whenever there's an iBook or PowerBook that's compelling enought for an upgrade. He's currently running a Windows 2000 box that I built for him a few years ago.

Voch

Master Yoda
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 8, 2004, 07:09 PM

My 4 year old TiBook 500 w/ upgraded 5800 RPM hard drive an 768 MB RAM is still perfect machine for almost all situations. Naturally, it can't play games much anymore (not that it really could in the first place), or do extensive PhotoShop work or compiling.

I'm thinking of giving it up soon to my parents to replace their original iBook. The iBook is just a little too slow these days. But the TiBook still covers all my needs, such as doing remote work, web surfing, checking email, AIM.

I'm thinking of upgrading for the larger bandwidth of Airport Express, better battery life, and those sweet backlit keyboards. Its hard to replace the best laptop ever created.

RMXO
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 9, 2004, 07:10 PM

Originally posted by sodamnregistered2:
I'd say the smart play, would be to buy a Powerbook and 3 year Applecare. Use it for 2, maybe 2 1/2 years. Sell it while it's still under warranty.

Machine will last longer, just depends how you want to play the upgrade train.
very good advice. i noticed a lot of ppl selling their laptops before the AppleCare warranty is over.
MacBook Pro 15" Unibody | iPhone 16GB 3G

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Dec 10, 2004, 07:37 AM

My Ti867 is 2 years old now and it will have to hold out for another 2 years minimum I'm afraid. As a poor university student I can't afford a newer one. And I'll never buy a 12" or an iBook (display is waaay too small, even the 1280x854 is a not enough). I just hope it holds out until the G5 PowerBook, I don't want a G4 anymore. But, i'm confident that it will since I never had a problem with it and I never had a single problem with my Apple hardware before... As for holding out software wise: as long as things don't get slower it's ok for me.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

GuyWithACamera
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 10, 2004, 07:48 AM

My TiBook 400 would have been 4 years if I held onto it until April. I hope my new one lasts that long, but I am skepticle on that. The Al PB is quieter, faster and much nicer but doesn't seem as durable as the TiBook. When I bought it, it was abut $3,000, which is about $750/year. My new PB, with same RAM, with the deal I got, it will have to last 2 1/2 years to get the same value. We'll see.
I have no lid upon my head. But if I did, you
could look iniside and see what's on my
mind.

Jack-iMac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 10, 2004, 03:29 PM

Whats a powerook by the way?
iMac G3 600MHz,
20GB iPod 3G,
and a PowerBook G4 soon i hope!

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Dec 10, 2004, 03:52 PM

Are you asking how long one expects the powerbook to survive, or how long before one wishes to upgrade?

If it just survival, I would expect a powerbook to survive at least as long as my 8yr old Tecra. If it's upgrade, 3-4 years.

sworthy
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2004, 04:50 PM

I think you're also asking a group of people who will upgrade far more often than the general public.

For me personally, purchased a powerbook for the mobility and power. Over time, my 1Ghz processor feels a little slow now and then, but it will be able to handle everything I currently do except for some audio projects. Currently it's my only computer, and will probably be for another 2 years at least (bringing the total to 4 years). Afterwards I'll probably get an iMac or PowerMac and use the 'old' powerbook as a portable machine for as long as it lasts, probably at least few years after that.

djohnson
Professional Poster
Dec 10, 2004, 05:17 PM

I will keep mine for many years. Now I might by a new tower once they hit 4Ghz or have 4 cores

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2004, 02:26 AM

2 Years so far with my TI... a couple of dents, and the battery is starting to flake out, but otherwise, it's fine!

wilsonng
Senior User
Dec 11, 2004, 07:38 AM

I've had my TiBook 400 Mhz since it first came out.I believe it was 2001? So it would be about 3+ years now. It's functional for internet and Office as well as my 4th Dimension database for my dad's shop. It's been 3 years and still ticking....

I got the AlBook 12" 867 Mhz in March 2003 and it's a solid workhorse. Of course I'm lusting for a new PB but it's still functional.

I usually only upgrade when I encounter a program that I will be using consistently that I can definitely feel the speed hit. At this moment, I have been using InDesign CS and I think it's testing my patience but I think it's still worlds better than my TiBook 400 Mhz. Can't wait to see what MWSF brings in January 2005.

Generally I usually wait at least 4 revisions (if not more) before upgrading. That way, I'll always feel a major speed bump. I jumped from my 15" TiBook 400 Mhz to a 12.1" AlBook 867 Mhz. I've seen the 12" bumped up to 1.0 Ghz and then 1.33 Ghz. So that's 3 revisions to the 12". Now I'll see if the next revision will be worth it.

Of course I am also thinking of keeping my 12" AlBook and using it for portability while I may get an iMac G5....

I've never really cared for using a $2000 laptop to play video games when a $150 video game console (like the Xbox, PlayStation, or GameCube) can play games without ridiculous system requirements. Have you seen what you need to run Doom 3? Sheez!!!!

In general, I usually upgrade only when my daily work flow needs a performance increase. The lust for the new PBs is very hard to resist but I've been pretty successful (at least until MWSF January 2005).

Forum Links
Forum Rules