Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Certain RAM to avoid?

Certain RAM to avoid?
schwaz80
Jan 6, 2005, 04:57 PM

Is there a certain brand of RAM to avoid putting in my Dual 1.8? I have a Rev. A. I am right to assume that any set of dual channel DIMMs will work?

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 6, 2005, 05:47 PM

Just avoid crap RAM.

Stick with Crucial, Viking or Kingston if you can.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

MORT A POTTY
Senior User
Jan 6, 2005, 06:47 PM

Corsair also makes good RAM.

but yeah, them, Crucial, Viking, OCZ, Kingston, Simple they all make good RAM.

just make sure you get all the same latency, as if you have some CAS 2.5 and then a pair of CAS 3, it will run at the higher latency RAM. lowest common denominator type thing.

bighead
Senior User
Jan 7, 2005, 04:35 PM

I've had a lot of bad Kingston and Viking RAM recently, but historically, they have been pretty good.

Never EVER, and I mean EVER buy Elixir RAM or anything that says Elixir on the chips. Did I mention EVER? Literally, every single stick of Elixir RAM I've found in G4/G5 towers has failed testing, or upon removal from the machine allows the machine to work normally.

OWC has some generic stuff, but I've only had one bad card from them, so they must screen their cards very well. OWC is never a bad choice.

I've never had a bad stick from Crucial. Period.

I've never experienced Corsair or OCZ, so I can't comment on their reliability.

Oh, and the free stuff you get from MacMall or wherever. The cards that look like they smeared tar over the chips are death to machines (usually iMac G4s.) I think they are made by Edge. I've not had nearly as many of these bad, like I've seen from Elixir, but I'd call them questionable at best.
the bighead

- MacBook Pro 15" matte non-unibody 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, 120/SSD & 750GB/7200
- PM G4 Dual 1.25 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 1x320 boot, 1x2TB TM Backup - 2x1TB & 2x3TB Archive/Backup

Forum Links
Forum Rules