Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > what kind of BS is this allowing a Yank Cop to pull over ppl in BC

what kind of BS is this allowing a Yank Cop to pull over ppl in BC
Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2005, 04:41 AM

http://vancouver.cbc.ca/regionalnews...s20050128.html

This is absolute ********, a Texas cop has no right to be working as a cop in any fashion here in Canada.

I've left my comments about this to the RCMP any one else that want to can here
http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/contact/co...m#headquarters
( Last edited by Athens; Jan 29, 2005 at 04:58 AM. )
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

John Q. Smith
Jan 29, 2005, 08:56 AM

maybe he thought he was in Mexico.. I mean, Mexico, Canada, what's the difference? It's easy to confuse the two.

Joshua
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2005, 09:14 AM

...a "Yank" cop, paired with a Canadian police officer as part of a joint education program sponsored by the RCMP.
Safe in the womb of an everlasting night
You find the darkness can give the brightest light.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Jan 29, 2005, 09:20 AM

I'm with Joshua. The search itself apparently was not in accordance with BC law, so the guy was in the right in that regard. Though if you ask me it ought to be reasonable to search the car if they have a strong basis for suspicion (like a driver with pot-eyes).

The rest of the piece, though, with the "heavy Texas accent" and all that, reads like low-grade xenophobia.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jan 29, 2005, 10:58 AM

The American is NOT at fault here. BC/RCMP should have had an officer with him to ensure that something like this didn't happen.

It would be just as irresponsible if the US hired a Canadian to preform maple syrup enforcement checks.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2005, 12:37 PM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
The American is NOT at fault here. BC/RCMP should have had an officer with him to ensure that something like this didn't happen.

It would be just as irresponsible if the US hired a Canadian to preform maple syrup enforcement checks.
he shouldnt be paired, he shouldnt be acting as a cop here at all.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2005, 12:42 PM

Originally posted by Mithras:
I'm with Joshua. The search itself apparently was not in accordance with BC law, so the guy was in the right in that regard. Though if you ask me it ought to be reasonable to search the car if they have a strong basis for suspicion (like a driver with pot-eyes).

The rest of the piece, though, with the "heavy Texas accent" and all that, reads like low-grade xenophobia.
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/#garantie

Life, liberty and security of person 7. Everyone has the right to life, liberty and security of the person and the right not to be deprived thereof except in accordance with the principles of fundamental justice.
Search or seizure 8. Everyone has the right to be secure against unreasonable search or seizure.
Detention or imprisonment 9. Everyone has the right not to be arbitrarily detained or imprisoned.

Canadians enjoy more rights and freedoms then Americans, I wouldnt expect you to understand why the stop and search was illegal. I wonder how you would respond to a Canadian Cop directing you off the road and then being searched by a Canadian cop paired up with a local in your own state.

And its not BC law that was broken, it was federal law.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2005, 12:49 PM

The first time he was pulled over, it was by an American officer. That's illegal. That action no doubt led to him being pulled over again, by an American/Canadian team. The first action was wrong, the second one dubious.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2005, 01:01 PM

what gets me is a Burnaby Cop cant pull over some one in Vancouver, and a Vancouver cop cant pull over some one over in Burnaby but a Texas state trooper can pretend to be a cop up here.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Jan 29, 2005, 01:16 PM

Originally posted by Athens:
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/#garantie

Canadians enjoy more rights and freedoms then Americans, I wouldnt expect you to understand why the stop and search was illegal.
Thank you for the quote from the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, enacted 1982.
May I direct your attention to the Fourth Amendment of the U.S. Constitution, ratified in 1791:
The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.
My issue was with whether the man's appearance constituted "probable cause" in our legal framework, or "reasonable" in yours.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2005, 01:22 PM

We're American, Athens, the world's policeman. Just lay back and try to enjoy it, and I promise it won't hurt.

i_rooster
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 29, 2005, 01:30 PM

Cool! We are going global indeed!

waky waky!

James L
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2005, 01:40 PM

Originally posted by BRussell:
We're American, Athens, the world's policeman. Just lay back and try to enjoy it, and I promise it won't hurt.

I know a few people from Iraq that may disagree with that comment.

James L
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2005, 01:41 PM

Originally posted by i_rooster:
Cool! We are going global indeed!

Now THAT was funny!

Joshua
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2005, 01:48 PM

The story is slightly different (and more detailed) in The Globe and Mail. In particular:

The two troopers were in B.C. last year as part of an exchange with the RCMP's "pipeline convoy" program that targets criminals using the highway to transport illegal products.

"We lead the nation in highway drug seizures," said Texas Highway Patrol spokesman Tom Vinger. "[The RCMP] came down here last year to examine our highway patrol drug apprehension program."

RCMP spokesman Sergeant John Ward rejected Constable Laing's contention that the state troopers played any role in his roadside incident.

"They have no authority. They're not in uniform. They don't carry guns and they work under our supervision," he said.
( Last edited by Joshua; Jan 29, 2005 at 01:53 PM. )

bubblewrap
Senior User
Jan 29, 2005, 02:09 PM

I thought Canada was an almost crime free Utopia without the need for police. With the banning of handguns and the registration of long guns, all crime has plummeted.

Why are the Canadian police in need of training assistance from Texas?
To create a universe
You must taste
The forbidden fruit.

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2005, 04:34 PM

What kind of BS is this allowing a Yank Cop to pull over ppl in BC...
It's Canadian BS from what the article tells us.

James L
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2005, 08:33 PM

Originally posted by spacefreak:
It's Canadian BS from what the article tells us.
Correct! Canadian BS should never be confused with American BS, which tends to originate from the White House and smells far worse!

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Jan 29, 2005, 09:15 PM

Originally posted by bubblewrap:
I thought Canada was an almost crime free Utopia without the need for police. With the banning of handguns and the registration of long guns, all crime has plummeted.

*SMACKDOWN*

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2005, 09:40 PM

I see the forum arbiter has returned. Welcome back!
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2005, 09:44 PM

And I thought the United Stats was a crime filled Utopia filled with Red Necks and stupid ppl. If you accept that stereotype, I'll accept yours.

bubblewrap
Senior User
Jan 29, 2005, 10:09 PM

And I thought the United Stats was a crime filled Utopia filled with Red Necks and stupid ppl. If you accept that stereotype, I'll accept yours.
The United States is a crime filled Utopia. We have plenty of stupid people here. In fact too many. Want more, I'll be happy to ferry a few northward.
To create a universe
You must taste
The forbidden fruit.

SimpleLife
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2005, 10:55 PM

You, fool.

It is totally normal and acceptable and desirable that police from different countries, especially neigbours, should share their experiences, techniques.

The utopia part came from your head.

Move along.

bubblewrap
Senior User
Jan 29, 2005, 11:13 PM

Great, tell that to Athens.

Athens wrote:
This is absolute ********, a Texas cop has no right to be working as a cop in any fashion here in Canada.
And Utopia part came from the many Canadians I gotta deal with every day. I gotta hear how awfull Amerika is.

Move along.
To create a universe
You must taste
The forbidden fruit.

SimpleLife
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2005, 11:25 PM

And Utopia part came from the many Canadians I gotta deal with every day. I gotta hear how awfull Amerika is.

Move along.
Well I dunno how awful Amerika is, but we have crime in Canada just as well.

Texans are welcome to share their knowledge in respect of our Laws under our supervision, period.

What Athens says is Athens words. Don't make the mistake of "Athenienize" all Canadians and I'll make sure not to "bubblewraparize" all Americans.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2005, 11:39 PM

Move along.
Compared to the US we are a Utopia, dosent mean we don't have crime.

And why tell that to Athens, I never started anything about the US Canada crap, and im sorry you hear how awfull Amerika is from the rest of the world, truly I am.
( Last edited by Athens; Jan 29, 2005 at 11:45 PM. )

Joshua
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2005, 11:57 PM

And why tell that to Athens, I never started anything about the US Canada crap, and im sorry you hear how awfull Amerika is from the rest of the world, truly I am.
"what kind of BS is this allowing a Yank Cop to pull over ppl in BC"

"Canadians enjoy more rights and freedoms then Americans, I wouldnt expect you to understand why the stop and search was illegal."

"And I thought the United Stats was a crime filled Utopia filled with Red Necks and stupid ppl."

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2005, 12:20 AM

"what kind of BS is this allowing a Yank Cop to pull over ppl in BC"
That has nothing to do with either one being better then the other

"Canadians enjoy more rights and freedoms then Americans, I wouldnt expect you to understand why the stop and search was illegal."
We do and I dont expect Americans to understand, you guys let your freedoms die with 911 and like it.

"And I thought the United Stats was a crime filled Utopia filled with Red Necks and stupid ppl."
A stupid responce to go with the stupid post that I was responding too.

Kilbey
Baninated
Jan 30, 2005, 12:35 AM

A stupid responce to go with the stupid post that I was responding too.
This seems to be quite common with you.

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2005, 02:23 AM

They must've seen an episode of Walker, Texas Ranger.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2005, 04:04 AM

Originally posted by Kilbey:
This seems to be quite common with you.
It is, I always respond in kind. Its the get pushed, push back harder thing with me. Its nice I don't have to defend against moose and igloo's any more LOL seems its been upgraded to Crime free utopia. The only real differences between the US and Canada I find is general society attitudes towards things vs actual real differences like culture. Generally we have more property crimes while the US has more violent crimes. We are against the death penalty while Americans are for it. We generally protect our freedoms more while Americans let some go in the name of feeling better protected. Overall racism is not as common here as in the US but then again our cities aren�t so divided as in the US, for example we don't have entire black communities and entire Mexican communities its all more blended. Other big differences are attitude towards things like drugs, here its treated more as a medical problem where in the US its a war. And pot isn�t even something to be bothered with at least the users, traffickers are another matter. The biggest difference between the countries are the social divide, Canada is mostly a middle class society where the US is split between the Rich and Poor or have and have nots. Get past those differences in general culture we are pretty much the same. Our cities are designed the same as yours. Our stores are the same as yours. Our technology, jobs access to entertainment are the same. Physically were evolved the same and are identical. So when ppl make stupid comments like your utopia why do you even have cops is just pure ignorance and pisses me off and I respond to it in equal stupidity. There really isn�t a need to have these battles about who�s better then who. My biggest beef with the United States as a whole is its foreign policies such as the invasion of Iraq. I don�t blame individual Americans for that, just the leaders of the US. I�m not really Anti American, just not in favor of many American policies and attitudes.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jan 30, 2005, 04:32 AM

Athens,

The Texas police officer was invited. He should never have been unsupervised. I welcome any and all Canadian/Russian/English/Japanese/Chinese/etc. etc. police officer in the US that will assist our officers in becoming more proficient in their duties.

But I wouldn't permit them to act like police officers here unattended.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2005, 04:47 AM

Athens,

The Texas police officer was invited. He should never have been unsupervised. I welcome any and all Canadian/Russian/English/Japanese/Chinese/etc. etc. police officer in the US that will assist our officers in becoming more proficient in their duties.

But I wouldn't permit them to act like police officers here unattended.
Co operative training I understand but never actuall hands on with citizens, and specially never alone. I just want to know if he had a gun and everything.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jan 30, 2005, 04:57 AM

It is, I always respond in kind. Its the get pushed, push back harder thing with me. Its nice I don't have to defend against moose and igloo's any more LOL seems its been upgraded to Crime free utopia. The only real differences between the US and Canada I find is general society attitudes towards things vs actual real differences like culture. Generally we have more property crimes while the US has more violent crimes. We are against the death penalty while Americans are for it. We generally protect our freedoms more while Americans let some go in the name of feeling better protected. Overall racism is not as common here as in the US but then again our cities aren�t so divided as in the US, for example we don't have entire black communities and entire Mexican communities its all more blended. Other big differences are attitude towards things like drugs, here its treated more as a medical problem where in the US its a war. And pot isn�t even something to be bothered with at least the users, traffickers are another matter. The biggest difference between the countries are the social divide, Canada is mostly a middle class society where the US is split between the Rich and Poor or have and have nots. Get past those differences in general culture we are pretty much the same. Our cities are designed the same as yours. Our stores are the same as yours. Our technology, jobs access to entertainment are the same. Physically were evolved the same and are identical. So when ppl make stupid comments like your utopia why do you even have cops is just pure ignorance and pisses me off and I respond to it in equal stupidity. There really isn�t a need to have these battles about who�s better then who. My biggest beef with the United States as a whole is its foreign policies such as the invasion of Iraq. I don�t blame individual Americans for that, just the leaders of the US. I�m not really Anti American, just not in favor of many American policies and attitudes.
What a complete generalization.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2005, 06:18 AM

What a complete generalization.
I could be more detailed? Actually its much more complicated, from state to state and from prov to prov its very different. British Columbians and folks from Washington State are very similar. Albertans are as American as you can get. Wont touch Neefies, they are just strange. Texans are very very polite and wonderful people except there values towards human life is warped.

SimpleLife
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2005, 08:05 AM

Compared to the US we are a Utopia, dosent mean we don't have crime.

Joshua
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2005, 08:38 AM

Co operative training I understand but never actuall hands on with citizens, and specially never alone. I just want to know if he had a gun and everything.
Read the thread.

And your broad generalizations about America are ridiculous and ignorant.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2005, 08:56 AM

Originally posted by Joshua:
Read the thread.

And your broad generalizations about America are ridiculous and ignorant.
I read that, and the Globe and Mail is closer to Europe then BC. Local papers and local news tells a different story. Nothen mentions guns, but they where in uniform. And the first copy still was on his own who orginally pulled over the VPD guy.

Explain why its ridiculous and ignorant, and also explain why its ok for Americans to complain about Mexicans and to generalize them all as illegals and other crap yet its not ok for a Canadian to generalize Americans while your at it.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2005, 08:57 AM

Originally posted by SimpleLife:

SimpleLife
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2005, 12:30 PM

I mean, come on!

Do you have to drag all the U.S. in the mud because of a few media reported incidents?

That is not fair and counter-factual.

America is by far better than how media report it, and so it is for most countries. Political agendas aside, people are people anywhere and none is better (or worse) because they are in a specific area.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 30, 2005, 12:55 PM

I mean, come on!

Do you have to drag all the U.S. in the mud because of a few media reported incidents?

America is by far better than how media report it, and so it is for most countries. Political agendas aside, people are people anywhere and none is better (or worse) because they are in a specific area.
SL, stop making sense. It's not looked upon favorably here in the political forum.
Nemo me impune lacesset

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2005, 02:04 PM

I mean, come on!

Oh I know that. When morons stop dragging all of Canada down then i'll stop dragging all of the US down with similar moronic posts.

Kilbey
Baninated
Jan 30, 2005, 04:18 PM

Oh I know that. When morons stop dragging all of Canada down then i'll stop dragging all of the US down with similar moronic posts.
So you admit to acting like a moron and being stupid? Nice.

I'll admit when I am wrong, but I won't allow others to control my behavior. Act, don't react.

Joshua
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2005, 04:32 PM

You do realize you're the one that started the thread, right?

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 31, 2005, 01:15 AM

Originally posted by Joshua:
You do realize you're the one that started the thread, right?
it wasnt a anti american thread orginally. Would have been the same responce if it was a German cop

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Jan 31, 2005, 01:23 AM

World police indeed.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

BoomStick
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 31, 2005, 09:14 AM

Bla bla bla, Redneck, bla bla, yank ,bla bla bla.

Your xenophobia and bigotry is showing.

Your credibility is in the toilet.

Congratulations.

Hater.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 31, 2005, 09:22 AM

Originally posted by BoomStick:
Your xenophobia and bigotry is showing.

Your credibility is in the toilet.

Congratulations.

Hater.
bigot = One who is strongly partial to one's own group, religion, race, or politics and is intolerant of those who differ.

Nope not me

xenophobia = A person unduly fearful or contemptuous of that which is foreign, especially of strangers or foreign peoples.

Nope not me

Redneck = Used as a disparaging term for a member of the white rural laboring class, especially in the southern United States.

Nope not me

Hater

Well of US foreign policies ya you got me there. Otherwise nope

Oh and perhaps you should reveiw your own post http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...36#post2381836

In your own words how hypocritical
( Last edited by Athens; Jan 31, 2005 at 09:30 AM. )

BoomStick
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 31, 2005, 09:38 AM

Are you purposely obtuse?

I quoted your words of calling Americans rednecks and yanks which makes you a bigot.

Period.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 31, 2005, 09:50 AM

Originally posted by BoomStick:
Are you purposely obtuse?

I quoted your words of calling Americans rednecks and yanks which makes you a bigot.

Period.

obtuse = Lacking quickness of perception or intellect.

Nope I disagree, im a bad speller well actually a lazy typer at times but that dosent reflect my real intellect.

Yank = Yankee = A native or inhabitant of the United States

The cop was from Texas, its only natural to assume he is a American Citizen is it not?

And find ONE post where I called some one a redneck. If any one is a bigot its you.

Forum Links
Forum Rules