Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What are you getting your significant other for Val. Day?

What are you getting your significant other for Val. Day?
AssassyN
Professional Poster
Feb 2, 2005, 12:04 PM

Well I'm in a special situation as this is the last Valentine's Day before I propose in a few months, so I am going all out...

The coolest thing I got her is a pink iPod mini engraved, as well as an arm band for when she runs and the iPod socks 'cause she digs stuff like that. Also picked up a purse & a nice assortment from Victoria's Secret and will enjoy a nice supper on the 14th. Post your plans
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

finboy
Feb 2, 2005, 12:20 PM

Originally posted by AssassyN:
Well I'm in a special situation as this is the last Valentine's Day before I propose in a few months, so I am going all out...

The coolest thing I got her is a pink iPod mini engraved, as well as an arm band for when she runs and the iPod socks 'cause she digs stuff like that. Also picked up a purse & a nice assortment from Victoria's Secret and will enjoy a nice supper on the 14th. Post your plans
Got my wife (so far) an RC truck. She got a MiniCooper a few weeks ago, and really enjoyed it, so I got her a big one last night.

Otherwise? Probably some jewelry, when I have time to go looking. I find that estate jewelry offers some great deals, versus buying "new."

E's Lil Theorem
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2005, 12:30 PM

I'm not in a relationship where I have to do anything big for Valentine's Day. I might get her some chocolate-covered strawberries, which she really enjoys, and call it a day.

demograph68
Professional Poster
Feb 2, 2005, 12:34 PM

A rose, a card, and a box of chocolates. I'm such an amazing boyfriend.

BoomStick
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 2, 2005, 12:42 PM

If the weather is good, I'll fly my wife to New Orleans for some good creole food.

Otherwise if it's bad we'll just go for sushi here.

Last year I flew her down to Carribelle Florida where there is a little restaurant on the coast that will pick you up from the landing strip up the street if you call them on 122.80.

Great food and great scenery.

misc
Feb 2, 2005, 12:47 PM

I don't need a holiday to get my girl anything.

That being said, I am not planning anything out of the ordinary. Except for maybe flowers or choc.
( Last edited by misc; Feb 2, 2005 at 05:10 PM. )

"And after we are through, ten years in making it to be the most of glorious debuts."

AssassyN  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 2, 2005, 01:12 PM

Originally posted by BoomStick:
If the weather is good, I'll fly my wife to New Orleans for some good creole food.

Otherwise if it's bad we'll just go for sushi here.

Last year I flew her down to Carribelle Florida where there is a little restaurant on the coast that will pick you up from the landing strip up the street if you call them on 122.80.

Great food and great scenery.
I can't even fathom your paycheck. But my question is this: you're a pilot? Own your own plane? Or just randomly buy plane tickets to go have supper?
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Y3a
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2005, 01:13 PM

My Sweetie is the best, so I'm gonna get her that 1 Ct Marquis Engagement ring!

BoomStick
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 2, 2005, 01:21 PM

I can't even fathom your paycheck. But my question is this: you're a pilot? Own your own plane? Or just randomly buy plane tickets to go have supper?
Mt twin brother and I share a Cessna 172 that was given to us by our uncle. Our uncle is an AP so repairs and annuals are cheap.

So yes, I'm a pilot. I'm private and not commercial or ATP like others here.

AssassyN  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 2, 2005, 01:27 PM

That is awesome man. Kudos!!

Y3a, CONGRATS!!!! I also just purchased a 1.14 carat 3-stone platinum engagement ring for my lady (gosh that one hurt) but I'm not giving it to her for awhile for various reasons. Wishin' the best for you two!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2005, 01:34 PM

Probably an iPod shuffle if I can get my hands on one.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Feb 2, 2005, 01:35 PM

Congrats on the proposal. I'm still a fairly recent groom myself (less than two years), so I know what it's like to try and set up a good proposal. If you need advice, feel free to ask.

As for Valentine's Day, my plan had been one of those big heart-shaped boxes of Godiva chocolate (I've done this for the past few years, with great success). For anniversaries, however, I've found something even better: Moonstruck chocolate. People with female significant others: Get a can of the hot cocoa, make two cups (using milk; water is a strict no-no), and give one to your SO. Trust me on this; you will not be disappointed.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2005, 01:57 PM

Originally posted by Millennium:
People with female significant others: Get a can of the hot cocoa, make two cups (using milk; water is a strict no-no), and give one to your SO. Trust me on this; you will not be disappointed.
Ya no kidding female significant others as most of them prefer chocolate to sex. The warm milk will also make them sleepy. So in the end you will have a sexually satisfied woman with you ready for nap time.

Someone gave me a hot chocolate for V-day I would knock them over the head with it.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Randman
Posting Junkie
Feb 2, 2005, 02:19 PM

I give flowers and gifts throughout the year but I refuse to give gifts on Feb 14 just because I am expected to.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

paully dub
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2005, 02:26 PM

I might untie her and let her out of the basement for a few minutes.

Adopt-A-Yankee

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2005, 02:35 PM

Originally posted by Randman:
I give flowers and gifts throughout the year but I refuse to give gifts on Feb 14 just because I am expected to.
You feel the same way about birthdays and Christmas Prince Charming?

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Joshua
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2005, 02:46 PM

If you're going to go the chocolate route, give Vosges a try. They always do the trick for me.
Safe in the womb of an everlasting night
You find the darkness can give the brightest light.

AssassyN  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 2, 2005, 02:46 PM

Thanks Millennium, and belated congrats to you as well! I've got a ridiculously elaborate plan to propose to her. She's worth it though...we're going on 3.5 years together and it's been nothing short of wonderful.

My newly purchased iMac G5, although she has no idea, is the crucial piece; I'm creating a ~4 minute video showcasing our best moments captured on film and stillshots and making a music video/film that'll have textual clues and what not Hooray for FCP & DVD Studio Pro!

And oh yeah, I'm PM'ing you regarding that chocolate!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Randman
Posting Junkie
Feb 2, 2005, 02:51 PM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
You feel the same way about birthdays and Christmas Prince Charming?
Let's see. For her birthday, she got a trip to Australia and a white gold necklace with diamond pendant. For Christmas, a trip to Dubai and personal tennis lessons. What do you think?

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2005, 02:57 PM

Let's see. For her birthday, she got a trip to Australia and a white gold necklace with diamond pendant. For Christmas, a trip to Dubai and personal tennis lessons. What do you think?
Yet you totally draw the line on the day of love eh.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

AssassyN  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 2, 2005, 02:58 PM

Gosh you folks roll in some cash.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Feb 2, 2005, 03:08 PM

trying to buy her love... sounds like someone is trying to compensate for something...

Randman
Posting Junkie
Feb 2, 2005, 03:08 PM

Yet you totally draw the line on the day of love eh.
The line of on the day of faux love and true marketing and consumerism, yes.

Oh, and I'm working right now in Singapore AssassyN, so trips abroad are much more affordable than if say I was flying out from Myrtle Beach.

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2005, 03:10 PM

The line of on the day of faux love and true marketing and consumerism, yes.
Ya, Christmas is all about the birth of Jesus.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

AssassyN  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 2, 2005, 03:16 PM

Ahh, gotcha Randman.

Hey, um, how 'bout back on topic? K, thanks
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Randman
Posting Junkie
Feb 2, 2005, 03:39 PM

Ya, Christmas is all about the birth of Jesus.
Jesus was likely born around March as that's when the census took place, at the beginning and end of harvest season, and the most likely reason why Joseph was forced to travel with a very pregnant wife.

Christmas Day was a traditional pagan holiday supplanted by early Christians.

My feeling is if give love and presents because you want to, not because of the day on the calendar.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Feb 2, 2005, 04:27 PM

I dated a girl once who didn't like Val. Day for the exact same reason...
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

simonjames
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2005, 04:41 PM

I too don't need to be told when to make my feelings known. I also don't need to pay through the nose when florists etc jack their prices up.

The best gift is the one that has some thought behind it (not just chocolate and flowers) and the best timing is when it is unexpected as it shows you are truely thinking about them. (IMHO)

Question - why is it that only the man is expected to give presents?
this sig intentionally left blank

AssassyN  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 2, 2005, 05:08 PM

Originally posted by simonjames:

I've never felt this way; my g/f has always given me something(s) on Valentine's Day. This year she's actually making me something, as I'm told. It's never a one-way street IMO, at least it shouldn't be.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2005, 05:10 PM

They are? Most couples I know it is mutual.

But if so I guess it is the same reason guys have to ask out a girl, hold the door and pay for dinner.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Feb 2, 2005, 05:12 PM

That depends on where you go. In Japan, for example, only the woman is expected to give presents. They have a corresponding holiday on March 14, 'White Day', when the men give presents to the women who gave them presents on Valentine's Day.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Mafia
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2005, 05:25 PM

i've always done something special with my girlfriends but gifts are for birthday and christmas imo. lol luckily MOST of my girlfriends understood that.
http://www.mafia-designs.com

Kilbey
Baninated
Feb 2, 2005, 05:34 PM

I am probably going to take my wife out to our favorite restaurant in Williamston, MI about 30 minutes from our house. Here's the menu. I'll probably have the Rockshrimp Pasta Thai
Saut�ed rock shrimp, tossed with fire-roasted tomatoes, sweet peppers, and green onions in a sweet and spcy peanut sauce with cracked black pepper fettuccine.
And I predict she will order the Drunken Slamon
Farm-riased Atlantic salmon, marinated in our bourbon/honey/ginger glaze, chargrilled and served with smashed redskins and roasted veggies.
I'll let you know after v-day.

She wants to get me a iPod Shuffle, but I am not sure I want one. I'll have to get back to her on that.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2005, 05:43 PM

Roses similar to the ones at our wedding, a homemade Italian dinner by candlelight, probably with some Paco De Luc�a, Al Dimeola and Pat Metheny playing. I'm very much looking forward to it.

She already gave me my V-Day gift - a bottle of Hei by Alfred Sung. I guess I got it early so I'd smell better by the 14th.
( Last edited by xi_hyperon; Feb 2, 2005 at 05:52 PM. )

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Feb 2, 2005, 06:24 PM

I DON'T KNOW!!!!!!!!

It's also my 1st year anniversary!

I need ideas quick!

Suggestions? (for a male)

Chris

nbnz
Senior User
Feb 2, 2005, 07:00 PM

I surprised my fiance with a weekend away in the Hunter Valley (not far from Sydney, great wine country) last weekend as a prelude to valentines day. I agree with some of the others that valentines day is a consumer rip, but the girl likes it so I play along.
My problem in Feb is our anniversary, her birthday, and valentines day all fall in 1 week! Next year the anniversary will be moving to March after we get married in 5 short weeks!
As for a gift this year, maybe some diamond earings that I know she would love to wear on the wedding day.
iMac, Intel Core-Duo 2GHz, 2GB, 250GB, OS X 10.4
PowerBook 12", 867MHz, 640MB, 60GB, OS X 10.4
iMac G3, 333MHz, 288MB, 6GB, OS X 10.3
iPods: 3G iPod, 1G mini, 1G shuffle, 2G nano

ASIMO
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2005, 07:03 PM

Being her regular, I was thinking about an engraved iPod shuffle in lieu of cash.
I, ASIMO.

E's Lil Theorem
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2005, 07:17 PM

Originally posted by kmkkid:
...Suggestions? (for a male)...
Besides a dinner, I'd say something practical. Most males I know, gay or straight, prefer practial things, you know, like an iPod or some shoes. It's the girls that tend to like the romantic things.

Originally posted by ASIMO:
Being her regular, I was thinking about an engraved iPod shuffle in lieu of cash.

AssassyN  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 2, 2005, 07:24 PM

Originally posted by ASIMO:
Wouldn't it be great? Sadly, you can't engrave Shuffles. I went w/ the iPod Mini instead.

Apple really came through...I ordered it on the 31st, it shipped from China on the 1st, and arrived at 10:30am EST this morning (the 2nd) all the way over here in NC. Wow. Customs only took like 2 hours in AK which is unusual. I used "Standard" free shipping, and est. delivery date w/ the FedEx tracking # was Feb. 7th. FedEx rules.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Feb 2, 2005, 07:24 PM

Originally posted by E's Lil Theorem:
Besides a dinner, I'd say something practical. Most males I know, gay or straight, prefer practial things, you know, like an iPod or some shoes. It's the girls that tend to like the romantic things.

Dinner is already planned. I bought him new shoes for Xmas, and he bought me an iPod, which he has no interest in touching.

He does however want an outdoor patio set. Which I think is s hitty gift for any occasion other than just an "I love you" gift at any random time throughout the year.

Chris

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2005, 07:38 PM

Originally posted by kmkkid:
I DON'T KNOW!!!!!!!!

It's also my 1st year anniversary!

I need ideas quick!

Suggestions? (for a male)

Chris
Sex and lots of it.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2005, 08:02 PM

Sex and lots of it.
Works for most guys. Haha...

Valentine's day is designed to make single people feel crappy. (Like me.)

Bah.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Feb 2, 2005, 08:06 PM

Sex and lots of it.
I'm not partial to sex.

There must be an alternative!

Chris

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2005, 08:23 PM

The coolest thing I got her is a pink iPod mini engraved, as well as an arm band for when she runs...
Hopefully, she is already a runner. Otherwise, you may be setting yourself up for quite the heated argument.

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2005, 08:26 PM

Originally posted by maxintosh:
Valentine's day is designed to make single people feel crappy. (Like me.)
Just make notches on the wall for every Valentine's Day that passes that you're single. Aim for 10 or so, and convince yourself that it's an achievement.

No, you're not lonely and single. You're driven and goal oriented.

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Feb 2, 2005, 08:28 PM

Hmmm... my right hand could use a manicure.

E's Lil Theorem
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2005, 08:37 PM

Originally posted by Ghoser777:

Mafia
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2005, 08:40 PM

Originally posted by Ghoser777:

heh being single on valentines day can be cool. instead of an expensive dinner i'll prolly buy myself some new computer speakers.
http://www.mafia-designs.com

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2005, 09:13 PM

Got my wife a 1GB Shuffle. She got her pressie early, and she loves it!
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Amorya
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2005, 10:39 PM

A weekend in London and tickets to see a musical. She already knows though... she was the one who told me what tickets to buy

Still trying to decide whether to get something else to surprise her... and if my bank balance will stretch that far!

Amorya
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

Forum Links
Forum Rules