Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Motorola Razr V3 with Powerbook

Motorola Razr V3 with Powerbook
MikeD
Mac Elite
Dec 29, 2004, 10:04 PM

I've managed to use iSync with it (With USB cable not bluetooth) and browse and add/delete files on the phone with bluetooth. However, what I can't do anymore like I used to do with Nokias is to dial contacts from my address book and SMS/text message via bluetooth. Anyone have any ideas? Oh yeah, I was also able to use the phone as a modem for my powerbook! I just hate texting from the phone! Takes way too long!

Mike
2009 MacMini 2.0 C2D 4GB (3,1) - Needs update!
11" MBA (2010 1.6GHz C2D)
iPhone 4 / iPad!
Hooked on Apple since the IIGS

dwood
Forum Regular
Dec 30, 2004, 04:28 AM

Originally posted by MikeD:
I've managed to use iSync with it (With USB cable not bluetooth) and browse and add/delete files on the phone with bluetooth. However, what I can't do anymore like I used to do with Nokias is to dial contacts from my address book and SMS/text message via bluetooth. Anyone have any ideas? Oh yeah, I was also able to use the phone as a modem for my powerbook! I just hate texting from the phone! Takes way too long!

Mike
moto's bluetooth must be funky. I would assume the isync not working over bluetooth is the same reason why you can't dial contacts and text. So i would guess we need some updates before this will work right.
Powerbook G4 12" 1.5/100gb/768/SD/APX
MacMini goodness... want one? http://tinyurl.com/4dww8

Randman
Posting Junkie
Dec 30, 2004, 04:33 AM

Probably take an iSync update before Tiger to add functionallity for new phones. I'm having the same situation with my new Nokia 6630.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 3, 2005, 10:38 AM

My moto v600 doesn't work for that kind of stuff either. I can see it on bluetooth and upload/download/delete files (ringers and pics). That's it!
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

-Q-
Jan 3, 2005, 05:22 PM

Yeah, probably nothing more serious than an update to iSync required. If you can upload/download files, it doesn't sound like the phone company modded the firmware to disable some features (I think it was Verizon that did this to force customers to download ringtones from their pay service instead of being able to upload them for free).

CarbonG4
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 3, 2005, 08:44 PM

Motorola doesn't use the same bluetooth standards that Apple uses for iSync. If this support ever comes from Apple, it isn't likely to come until Tiger is released. I hope that the Motorola/Apple Cellphone/iTunes deal leads to greater support of Motorola's chosen standards by Apple for the next major release of OS X.

For now though, as you've already stated, you can use USB for iSync and bluetooth for file transfers (images, ringtones, videos, etc.)

You might also be interested in an application called BluePhoneElite that is currently in beta, it will allow you to do the SMS messaging from your Mac through the V3 that you asked about. Also, it gives you on-screen Caller ID information and allows you to setup some basic proximity scripting on your Mac for when you leave and enter the room w/ your V3 (assuming you leave bluetooth on all the time)

One other piece of software V3/Vxxx owners should have is a little thrown-together app called ThinAir that will let you take advantage of the OBEX Push protocal that Apple's Bluetooth File Exchange app doesn't let you use. ThinAir lets you install Java applications and games onto your V3 via bluetooth.

Links:
http://www.reelintelligence.com/BluePhoneElite/
http://www.diggory.net/grazing/ThinAir.zip

Peace
//Carbon

:: Carbon Themes v1.5 ::

bsodmike
Mar 7, 2005, 09:03 AM

I'm having trouble uploading MP3's or even Images. The Bluetooth Exchange program just sits there doing nothing (time left: waiting...) I hope ThinAir will work!

Will get back to you once I test this out today...

Thanks,

Mike

Update: ThinAir works, I have to turn BT off/on on the G5 after each upload, not too annoying hrm. Would be nice if this application was further developed.

...Now for Apple to natively support the V3
( Last edited by bsodmike; Mar 7, 2005 at 11:41 AM. )

southtdi
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 7, 2005, 02:27 PM

Apple has already stated that they will be supporting Moto through BT far better when Tiger comes out. This statement was made at the beginning of last summer. Moto uses a newer, more advnced protocol to sync with machines over BT then Apple has been using. iSync is getting a major overhaul which may or may not be visible to the user. Once done Apple shouldn't have a problem syncing with any BT device on teh market.
- TiBook 867mhz
- Rev. A Dual 2.0ghz PowerMac G5, 3 Gigs Ram, Dual Dell 24" displays.
- Imac G4 20" with 1 Gig of ram

dazzla
Senior User
Mar 7, 2005, 04:10 PM

Where is this iSync info? I keep reading it in forums, because it's supposedly what will allow my 7610 to sync properly, but I can't find anything from Apple anywhere...

Arty50
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2005, 07:44 PM

Some people blame Moto for having a "poor bluetooth implementation." But my Palm and V600 work flawlessley together over bluetooth. I can connect to the internet via my V600 and I can also use my Palm's addressbook to dial numbers on my phone. I've never had a problem.
"My friend, there are two kinds of people in this world:
those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."

-Clint in "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

tritonus
Senior User
Mar 12, 2005, 11:18 AM

Will iSync work over Bluetooth with OS X 10.4? Has anybody tried with the developer builds of Tiger? I am not going to buy the RAZR as long as iSync over Bluetooth is supported. Thanks for feedbacks.
SwitCHerland, Europe
17" PowerBook 1GHz | WaterField SleeveCase | LaCie d2 250GB | AirPort Extreme BS, AirPort Express | iPod photo 60GB

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Mar 12, 2005, 11:32 AM

Interesting tidbit about the Razr; the music for Motorola's latest commercial for it (folding up house) is titled "Hyped up plus tax" ... somewhat appropriate for the Razr I think ...

tritonus
Senior User
Mar 17, 2005, 09:34 AM

Hello, any Tiger user out there with a RAZR?
Thanks for input.

Originally posted by tritonus:
Will iSync work over Bluetooth with OS X 10.4? Has anybody tried with the developer builds of Tiger? I am not going to buy the RAZR as long as iSync over Bluetooth is supported. Thanks for feedbacks.
SwitCHerland, Europe
17" PowerBook 1GHz | WaterField SleeveCase | LaCie d2 250GB | AirPort Extreme BS, AirPort Express | iPod photo 60GB

ashtoash
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 18, 2005, 10:36 PM

Whatever happened to iSync? I just seems dead in the water? Maybe SyncML will be added in and it upgraded? Why does anyone think?

Originally posted by -Q-:
Yeah, probably nothing more serious than an update to iSync required. If you can upload/download files, it doesn't sound like the phone company modded the firmware to disable some features (I think it was Verizon that did this to force customers to download ringtones from their pay service instead of being able to upload them for free).

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 20, 2005, 04:14 PM

Originally posted by Wiskedjak:
Interesting tidbit about the Razr; the music for Motorola's latest commercial for it (folding up house) is titled "Hyped up plus tax" ... somewhat appropriate for the Razr I think ...
I love that song. I freaked out when I first saw it in that commercial.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

dazzla
Senior User
Mar 21, 2005, 03:17 AM

Well, I tried iSync 2.0 in Tiger and it synced with my 7610 so I guess it's been upgraded to support SyncML. iSync picked up the phone, sent across an application then synced with it fine (calendars and address books). I never tested it beyond that.

himself
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2005, 12:04 AM

I'm really looking forward to the updated iSync in Tiger. I've been stuck with a SE T616 for the past year... It's a good phone, except for it's poor signal reception, lack of memory, pitiful camera, low speaker volume, yadda yadda...

Anyway, I want to get a Moto phone if only for it's superior signal reception and speaker volume, but I keep hearing these horror stories about the inability to sync Moto phones with iSync over BT, and there seems to be nothing like the Salling Clicker utility for moto phones (or maybe Salling Clicker can add support for moto phones soon). Salling clicker is awesome, and would gain many more users if it just supported other phones in addition to SE's... I'll just have to wait it out.
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

BrettOZ
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 30, 2005, 01:38 AM

Anyone been able to use iSync/Tiger with their Razr V3??

I can pair it - but can't find it in the iSync devices ?

When I Pair the phone - it does not find it under Mobile Phones?? it does find it when I choose Any Device however???

Macpilot
Mac Elite
May 2, 2005, 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by BrettOZ
Anyone been able to use iSync/Tiger with their Razr V3??

I can pair it - but can't find it in the iSync devices ?

When I Pair the phone - it does not find it under Mobile Phones?? it does find it when I choose Any Device however???
I have been interested in the RAZR if only for the sweet design and the GSM 850 that my trust Ericsson T39 (4 year old phone with kick ass bluetooth on iSync) does not have. I suspect the lack of 850 here in SoCal is affecting my coverage with the T39.

But I have read that the RAZR does not work with iSync over Bluetooth, only USB, which really sucks, as that would be a deal breaker for me. Might just keep my lighter-weight T39.
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

mrchin
Grizzled Veteran
May 2, 2005, 09:38 AM

Razr works in el Tigre flawlessly now. During development, ADC, the latest build I still did not have sync services through bluetooth. After installing the retail on my 1.67 PB 15", adding my Razr as a device did include iSynce services for Contacts and Calendars. As there are 2 possibilities for iSync, only what I just mentioned is selectable and syncs. I''m not at that machine to check now, but there was a second set of iSyncable that was not an option. May just be something that's not a phone feature. Should work though.

As this is a new PB, it does have BT 2.0. So once I finish installation on my PMG5, I get back to you as to whether the phone works with a 1.2 implemenated 10.4. Maybe there's issues. To be determined.
Dual 2.0 G5/2.5GB/ATI 9800 Pro | MacBook Pro 2.16 Gore Duo/2GB/ATI X1600

Ambassadeur
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: Transatlantic flight, first class, third row, aisle seat
May 2, 2005, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by wuzup101
My moto v600 doesn't work for that kind of stuff either. I can see it on bluetooth and upload/download/delete files (ringers and pics). That's it!
I am pretty sure the Moto V600 and V500 were already supported in iSync 1.5, albeit only via USB cable, but my V525 (now V550 after theft ) works flawlessly under 10.3.8, synching numbers, addresses and iCal.

Hopefully it will work over BT as well after upgrading to Tiger... IMO the Apple webpage is not very clear about what moto phones are supported via BT / via USB / both. Any insights?
- What is your nationality?
- I'm a drunkard. That makes me a citizen of the world.

BrettOZ
Dedicated MacNNer
May 3, 2005, 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by mrchin
Razr works in el Tigre flawlessly now. During development, ADC, the latest build I still did not have sync services through bluetooth. After installing the retail on my 1.67 PB 15", adding my Razr as a device did include iSynce services for Contacts and Calendars. As there are 2 possibilities for iSync, only what I just mentioned is selectable and syncs. I''m not at that machine to check now, but there was a second set of iSyncable that was not an option. May just be something that's not a phone feature. Should work though.

As this is a new PB, it does have BT 2.0. So once I finish installation on my PMG5, I get back to you as to whether the phone works with a 1.2 implemenated 10.4. Maybe there's issues. To be determined.
Maybe it is the BT ver 2.0 that it needs? I have the 1st revision Powerbook 1.5ghz, this has the old version of BT.. could this be the missing link?

As I stated in my previous message, I can see the Phone using BT - but not if I state it is a 'Mobile Phone' device, I have to use other device for it to find it??

druber
Grizzled Veteran
May 9, 2005, 11:23 PM

Just got my RAZR today. Tried pairing with my iBook G4 (built-in BT) running Tiger, not knowing of any previous problems. Paired fine, synced fine after selecting Mobile Phone from the device list. I didn't do nothin fancy. Just worked...
Help find a cure for Malaria: crunch D2OL for Team Macnn.

Buck_Naked
Mac Enthusiast
May 10, 2005, 11:30 AM

Any apps to pull photos of of the razor??

druber
Grizzled Veteran
May 10, 2005, 12:05 PM

Again, the standard BT file browser in 10.4 works like a charm. Photos appear in the /pictures directory, copy them to your hard drive or wherever.

I know there's lots of info out there on the V3, but so much of it is crap. Anyone have a decent source for Mac users about themes, screensavers, games, etc.?

BrettOZ
Dedicated MacNNer
May 12, 2005, 09:49 PM

Finally got it to work with isync, just delete the device form the bluetooth list, the attempted to add a device with the wizard (selecting mobile phone device - had also done this previously), and YES, it found it.....

Much happier now :-)

druber
Grizzled Veteran
May 19, 2005, 03:13 PM

Anyone still having luck under 10.4.1? I can use iSync with the phone, but when I try to browse the device, the connection validates, but nothing more happens and the connection times out. I've repaired the device, tried everything I can think of. No dice. Anyone doing fine with it?

Phat Bastard
Mac Enthusiast
May 19, 2005, 11:06 PM

I'm on 10.4.1 and I just synced fine. Wow, iSync over Bluetooth is awesome, I'm glad I upgraded to Tiger...no more USB cable for me.

Sorry, I don't know how to help you--I really didn't have to do anything. It just worked!!

However, I couldn't sync my iCal calendars. iSync kept telling me it needed to open iCal and it does, but then iSync itself never refreshes to allow me to select which calendars to synchronize. I'm sure this is a little bug that will be fixed soon enough.
The world needs more Canada.
PB 12" 867 MHz, 640 MB RAM, AE, OS 10.4.2
Black iPod nano 4GB

slowspeed
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 20, 2005, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Phat Bastard
I'm on 10.4.1 and I just synced fine. Wow, iSync over Bluetooth is awesome, I'm glad I upgraded to Tiger...no more USB cable for me.

Sorry, I don't know how to help you--I really didn't have to do anything. It just worked!!

However, I couldn't sync my iCal calendars. iSync kept telling me it needed to open iCal and it does, but then iSync itself never refreshes to allow me to select which calendars to synchronize. I'm sure this is a little bug that will be fixed soon enough.
Thats interesting...

I'm waiting on my retail version of tiger so i was using USB option with razr until the (tempramental) cable gave up the ghost, but I was enjoying pretty successful syncing with iCal with multiple calendars and address book before that so I hope tiger isn't a step back in that regard.

really happy with BluePhoneElite for the interim for SMS/dialing from my 15" PB so i highly recommend that to anyone with a razr v3 operating on pre-tiger system
Slow Speed
"I put the moron in oxymoron"

druber
Grizzled Veteran
May 20, 2005, 01:43 PM

iSync worked fine, it was the Bluetooth File Exchange that didn't seem to connect. Shut off the phone, pulled the battery, started it back up and it worked fine. Somebody shoot me. Now if Salling Clicker could work...

alexlopez
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 21, 2005, 01:07 AM

I am not a newbie to macs, iSync or USB. But I am feeling like an idiot. I keel reading how easy it is to hook up the Razr. I just got my Razr V3 today. I have isync 1.5 and 10.3.9. I understand that it does not work over Bluetooth, but all I want it to work with the USB cable. I cannot get my computer to see it at all. I have a g4 1.25 and a ibook and neither sees it. Any help. Here is what I have done. I reinstalled isync, restarted, connected it with phone open/close. Still not working. HEEEELLLPPP

MikeD  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2005, 11:22 PM

You can surf the web (tethering) using bluetooth and hopefully, your unlimited data plan... Check out this site:

http://www.digitalpoint.com/~shawn/2...powerbook.html

Cheers,
Mike
2009 MacMini 2.0 C2D 4GB (3,1) - Needs update!
11" MBA (2010 1.6GHz C2D)
iPhone 4 / iPad!
Hooked on Apple since the IIGS

krove
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2005, 12:41 AM

Does it sync address book pictures for contacts?

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

Krusty
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2005, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by krove
Does it sync address book pictures for contacts?
According to Apple, no. (See grid at bottom of page)
http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/isync/devices.html

moki
Ambrosia - el Presidente
Jul 18, 2005, 10:27 PM

I've managed to get my Razr to sync just fine with iSync... now I'm looking for a theme to upload; this one looks interesting:

http://gallery.mobile9.com/f/12566/

... however I can't for the life of me figure out how to upload it and get it working. Anyone?
Andrew Welch / el Presidente / Ambrosia Software, Inc.

Krusty
Professional Poster
Jul 19, 2005, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by moki
I've managed to get my Razr to sync just fine with iSync...
If I'm not mistaken, the last iSync update finally added support for the RAZR, my comments on 6/10 are now null and void.

action
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 19, 2005, 01:47 PM

hi gang,

i use bluephone elite with my razr and macs. bluephone elite lets you sms and dial from your address book but more importantly for me, it keeps a log of incoming calls and you can make notes and export them to ical.

it has been a great little program. this is the type of utility that isync should have been. isync in it's current form is the worst apple application.

i use isync to transfer contact info but i use backup to make a backup file and restore various computers from the backup file instead of using isync to sync my computers. not very elegant.

chung

moki
Ambrosia - el Presidente
Jul 20, 2005, 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by action
hi gang,

i use bluephone elite with my razr and macs. bluephone elite lets you sms and dial from your address book but more importantly for me, it keeps a log of incoming calls and you can make notes and export them to ical.

it has been a great little program. this is the type of utility that isync should have been. isync in it's current form is the worst apple application.

i use isync to transfer contact info but i use backup to make a backup file and restore various computers from the backup file instead of using isync to sync my computers. not very elegant.

chung
Have you found and programs or ways to upload themes? I can get the images on there using Apple's Bluetooth File Transfer program, but I can't seem to upload the other theme files (and even if I could, I'm not sure where to put them).
Andrew Welch / el Presidente / Ambrosia Software, Inc.

Forum Links
Forum Rules