Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Rant: This banner ad fscks with my Mac browsers. The designer should be shot. (Pic)

Rant: This banner ad fscks with my Mac browsers. The designer should be shot. (Pic)
Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 6, 2007, 12:13 AM

So, I'm trying to access my Yahoo.ca mail, and every time I load an email, the exact same Rogers Wireless banner ad appears.

Well, until I turn off the ad, I can't access anything on the Yahoo Mail web page. In Safari, I'm totally screwed, because hitting the "close" button does absolutely nothing. The page is stuck in limbo in perpetuity.

So, I try Firefox. OK, hitting the "close" button does allow me to access my mail. However, look at the pic again:

Note that there is no such button in the pic. There is a delay before it appears. What's worse, after showing up for a short while, the button disappears again. It is very, very, very irritating because if you happen to just miss it and press where the button used to be, it loads up the referral webpage.

And every single time I do manage to close the banner ad, the read my mail and go onto the next email, the same irritating process starts all over again.

Whoever designed this ad ought to be tortured.

wobbly
Sep 6, 2007, 12:38 AM

Firefox + adblock plus = I've not seen any banner ads, flash ads or any annoying **** in quite a long time. Give it a try.

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2007, 12:40 AM

Safari + PithHelmet = I've not seen any banner ads, flash ads or any annoying **** in quite a long time. Give it a try.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 6, 2007, 12:44 AM

Doesn't PithHelmet and the like have problems with some Safari updates?

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2007, 01:08 AM

I'm not sure if it works with the Safari 3 beta yet. I'm still on 2.0.4 and it works great for me. When a new version of Safari is released it does break PithHelmet, but an update is always released shortly. Or, if you can't wait, you can update it yourself by changing a line in one of its package files.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 6, 2007, 01:10 AM

Maybe I'll try it. While popups can be annoying, this is the first time a banner ad has #$&@@&#@'d the hell out of me. WTF were they thinking?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Sep 6, 2007, 12:41 PM

Yahoo mail?

Kevin
Baninated
Sep 6, 2007, 01:33 PM

Forum Links
Forum Rules