Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > DVD playback freezes DP867

DVD playback freezes DP867
gsciorio
Oct 14, 2002, 10:59 PM

Anyone know why this would happen? If I put any DVD movie into my DP867 the player software loads but after that the whole system freezes by the lollypop of death. You know that spining lollypop icon you see when the system loops.

Any ideas?
Giulio

samslaves
Forum Regular
Oct 16, 2002, 11:24 AM

Originally posted by gsciorio:
Anyone know why this would happen? If I put any DVD movie into my DP867 the player software loads but after that the whole system freezes by the lollypop of death. You know that spining lollypop icon you see when the system loops.

Any ideas?
Did it happen after installing the OS X.2.1 update?
After installing it I had the same problem, while with X.2 all went fine. Probably it can be fixed running Jaguar Cache Cleaner (quit all apps before running it and then wait for the forced reboot).
If this is your situation let me know, because I downgraded to X.2 before JCC reached my ears

Bye
Sam

gsciorio  (op)
Oct 17, 2002, 01:03 AM

Sam,

I don't know if this problem happened after upgrading to 2.1 because I never tried DVD's before then.

I had uninstalled the DVD Player and now don't know how to reinstall it.

I've tried the software install CD that came with it but the DVD player is part of OS X.2 so Jag must be reinstalled to make it work.

Where to do I find Jaguar Cache Cleaner?

Thanks,
Giulio
Giulio

samslaves
Forum Regular
Oct 25, 2002, 06:42 AM

Originally posted by gsciorio:
Sam,

I don't know if this problem happened after upgrading to 2.1 because I never tried DVD's before then.

I had uninstalled the DVD Player and now don't know how to reinstall it.

I've tried the software install CD that came with it but the DVD player is part of OS X.2 so Jag must be reinstalled to make it work.

Where to do I find Jaguar Cache Cleaner?

Thanks,
Giulio
All the software I'll mention could be found at: http://www.versiontracker.com

Said that, we can start.

1) You can reinstall DVD Player (and other applications that did not install on unsupported machines) using Pacifist. Just drag a .pkg file over it. The package will be opened. Choose the application you want to install. Do it for the DVD Player (Essentials.pkg on Mac OS X Jaguar disk 1).

2) After 1), on my beige + 10.2.1, DVDP freezes the entire system. If it works for you...good! If not, try Jaguar Cache Cleaner (save all opened docs and quit all open apps because JCC do a forced restart without warnings).

3) Let me know.

Bye
Samuele Schiavi

Forum Links
Forum Rules