Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Networking over Airport.

Networking over Airport.
gsciorio
Dec 3, 2002, 04:17 PM

I have a Powerbook G4 and a DP 867 that I would like to network over airport. I have my broadband fed into a hub with the desktop box on the recieving end along with my airport (version 1) transmiting to my Powerbook.

Both are running OSX.2

I can't seem to get these guys to see eachother.

Any ideas?

Thanx
Giulio

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Dec 3, 2002, 04:34 PM

How does your broadband provide an IP to your network? Is it DHCP, NAT, or a single static IP?
Vandelay Industries

KidRed
Professional Poster
Dec 3, 2002, 04:38 PM

I'm kinda there with you, my PB and iMac can see my dual gig, but my dual gig can't see them. Only the PB is on airport.
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

Usama's Carcass
Banned
Dec 3, 2002, 04:40 PM

they are on different subnets because of the airport station. additionally, a hub will give you crappy LAN speeds, while a router would be much better.

Get a router (they're cheap) and then turn on ethernet bridging on the airport station. That will take care of your subnet issue and let them see each other with the router (hub may yield 'see each other' results, but speed will be a problem, to my knowledge).

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Dec 3, 2002, 04:46 PM

Originally posted by Usama's Carcass:
they are on different subnets because of the airport station. additionally, a hub will give you crappy LAN speeds, while a router would be much better.

Get a router (they're cheap) and then turn on ethernet bridging on the airport station. That will take care of your subnet issue and let them see each other with the router (hub may yield 'see each other' results, but speed will be a problem, to my knowledge).
In this scenario, a hub isn't going to degrade performance much anyways, since tthere's only two computers. Also, the only place where there would be a slowdown is between the two computers. The broadband connection to the Internet is the biggest bottleneck.

Alternatively, you can add an AirPort card to your other Mac and eliminate the hub altogether. This would be the simplest setup.

However, a hardware purchase isn't necessary. If you'll provide the details of how everything is configured, then a software solution can be offered.
Vandelay Industries

Usama's Carcass
Banned
Dec 3, 2002, 06:16 PM

Originally posted by Art Vandelay:
the only place where there would be a slowdown is between the two computers.
That was what I meant. Hubs don't make for good LAN speeds; routers are better suited for the task.

MickS
Senior User
Dec 5, 2002, 02:11 AM

Networking 101:

Use router to connect different networks. It's a router because it knows how to route packets between networks.

Use a hub to connect devices to the same subnet where you have no real problems with performance.

Use a switch to connect devices to the same subnet where you want maximum performance.

If you only have a two systems there is difference between having a switch and a hub. If you have two systems and an internet connection connected to the hub there will be no point put in a switch as any performance improvement will be negligable from a switching point of view.

However most switches will operate in full-duplex rather than half-duplex mode whereas hubs typically work in half-duplex mode. If you are doing a lot of computer->computer communication full-duplex connection would be of benefit.

Cipher13
Dec 5, 2002, 02:50 AM

Originally posted by Usama's Carcass:
additionally, a hub will give you crappy LAN speeds, while a router would be much better.
A switch, you mean.

thesearcher
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 5, 2002, 02:25 PM

Wouldn't this work the other way around?

Internet <-> ABS V1 <-> Hub

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Dec 5, 2002, 03:21 PM

Originally posted by thesearcher:
Wouldn't this work the other way around?

Internet <-> ABS V1 <-> Hub
The graphite ABS doesn't have an extra ethernet port for a lan connection. So, this is not possible. If he had a snow ABS, it would work.

Either way, it must not be too bad of a problem since he has never come back to detail his setup for us. Oh well, his loss.
Vandelay Industries

Forum Links
Forum Rules