Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Thinking of getting PM

Thinking of getting PM
mishypie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 30, 2006, 08:28 AM

..But don't know which one!
Hi, I am new new to this forum, but my friend kick52 introduced me to here. I want to get a mac, but don't know which model. What are the pros and cons of each one, hardly ever used a mac before. My budget is kinda small- sorry if i'm being a noob coz we all hate noobs.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2006, 09:28 AM

If you're on a tight budget, consider an iMac, or even a Mac mini plus a less-expensive monitor. I think the iMac line has been a great value since the original G5 version came out. For more specific questions along that line, try the iMac forum.

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2006, 10:09 AM

If I were new to the Mac, I would purchase an iMac.

Why?
- If you end up hating OS X, you could always switch to Windows on the Mac. (You will love OS X)

- You get iSight, Front Row, a remote control, etc. etc. (a bunch of nice extras) with the iMac in exchange for the raw power of the PowerMac.

- The PowerMac is at the end of a life cycle. They are great for production environments, but the life for the consumer IMHO is over.

- The PowerMac hasn't made the Intel switch. Not that PPC is bad, but the iMac (using universal applications) can outperform the low end PowerMac in some areas... that says volumes IMHO.

mishypie  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 30, 2006, 11:58 AM

Thats been helpful, I'm gonna try to test different ones out before I buy one.
Remember this -real men host thier own sites!

Jason
Jun 30, 2006, 12:33 PM

I would agree with production coordinator. As you've said, you're new to the Macintosh systems, and I doubt you are going to need all the raw power of a PowerMac to 'learn' OSX on. Don't get me wrong, a PowerMac would be a fantastic machine to learn the 'in's and out's' of OSX, although it's quite pricy if you're using it for that purpose.

My advice would be have a serious think about the iMacs, they are a fantastic machine, and I'm sure it will more than satisfy your needs.

And if you really want a Powermac, wait until at least August for the next Mac meeting! Word is that something new (MacPro) might be released, then again, something totally unexpected could be released, you never know!.
"Amidst all the hype of modern design and computers, we have remained true by generating the majority of our designs by hand, viewing the computer as a tool and not letting it dictate our designs." - Ames Design.

kick52
Baninated
Jul 1, 2006, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Jason
I would agree with production coordinator. As you've said, you're new to the Macintosh systems, and I doubt you are going to need all the raw power of a PowerMac to 'learn' OSX on. Don't get me wrong, a PowerMac would be a fantastic machine to learn the 'in's and out's' of OSX, although it's quite pricy if you're using it for that purpose.

My advice would be have a serious think about the iMacs, they are a fantastic machine, and I'm sure it will more than satisfy your needs.

And if you really want a Powermac, wait until at least August for the next Mac meeting! Word is that something new (MacPro) might be released, then again, something totally unexpected could be released, you never know!.
being his friend, he's quite computer literate, (does web programming, 3d work) so i suppose a Sawtooth G4 would be okay to start on, or a top-end, upgraded PowerMac G3 B&W....

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2006, 06:03 PM

Yeah, but unless he needs the PCI or hard drive expandability, don't you think the current iMacs would smoke a G3 or G4 tower for most purposes, not to mention added perks like Bluetooth and faster USB? What's the point of the tower except to somehow look more "pro" on the desk?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 1, 2006, 07:39 PM

Because G3 and G4s are hot.

krillbee
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 2, 2006, 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5
Because G3 and G4s are hot.
lol.

i like my sawtooth tower, much more than a mac mini.
the power mac is always the machine that was once top of the food chain. plus the whole tower aspect is way cooler.

mishypie  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 3, 2006, 08:43 AM

My dad, who makes software for mobile phones, uses G4s+5s at work, and if I can, I can borrow one to check it out. You guys were talking a lot about raw processing power- well, as my friend kick52 said, I do a lot of 3D work, in Maya, and that takes up loads of ram, and needs a massive 'power surge' to run, so a powerful PC would make my work a lot easier-althogh I'm not gonna run to the Apple store and buy one right now. Kick52 said I can buy his G3 for around £50, or let me borrow it for free. Also, iMacs look quite tasty, could think about getting one of them.
Remember this -real men host thier own sites!

Forum Links
Forum Rules