Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Apple replacing discolored top cases

Apple replacing discolored top cases
joel_v
Jun 29, 2006, 06:51 AM

Good News Guys:

Apple has now started replacing 13" White Macbook top cases where discoloration has occured to some users macbooks.

more info here: http://macdailynews.com/index.php/we...ook_top_cases/

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2006, 07:00 AM

Cool, that eases my concerns
Michael

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Jun 29, 2006, 08:53 AM

Glad to hear that, but I will put scrutiny on Apple future policy on this…

SLiMeX
Senior User
Jun 29, 2006, 09:55 AM

Wow. On account of this happening to the iBook cases as well, (not so soon as 1-3 weeks), I am surprised to find out that they're going to be doing this for the MacBooks, and never did it for the iBooks.
BlacBook | 2.0ghz core duo | 2x320gb | 2gb ram | mba superdrive

nickw311
Senior User
Jun 29, 2006, 10:28 AM

I should be getting my MacBook back today or tomorrow and I am going to be upset if they didnt fix the discoloration.
27" iMac C2D

quilmes
Forum Regular
Jun 30, 2006, 05:41 PM

...took my discolored Macbook in to the local Apple Store, showed the Genius, he said it was a known issue and that they'd be happy to replace the top case and keyboard. Also asked me a series of questions before completing the paperwork, i.e. "Do you use any cosmetic products/hand lotion?, Do your hands sweat when using the Macbook?" Interesting, I thought. Anyway, I saw the news post about Apple owning up to it, so just thought I'd chime in with my own experience.

Jason
Jul 1, 2006, 08:54 AM

It's good to see that apple are looking after their customers. I just brought my MBP and i must say i love it. Only thing that surprised the hell out of me is that there is a large amount of space that is used up by apps when you recieve your MBP or any apple computer for that matter. Although after a clean up it should be alright.

dznet -
http://blogs.zdnet.com/Apple/index.php?p=232
"Amidst all the hype of modern design and computers, we have remained true by generating the majority of our designs by hand, viewing the computer as a tool and not letting it dictate our designs." - Ames Design.

eatinwokout
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 1, 2006, 04:42 PM

Here's my experience concerning the agreed repair:
http://digg.com/apple/Confirmed_Appl...ranty_coverage

According to Manuel (AppleCare), Genius Bar reps were aware of the issue to repair under warranty two weeks ago.

masugu
Senior User
Jul 1, 2006, 05:22 PM

Well...I just bought Apple care for the 1st time for my blacbook... Perhaps it will come in handy!!!
masugu - "Straight Ahead"
BlacBook Core Duo / Original Intel-based MB - DIY Core i7 PC |

azncreazion
Jul 1, 2006, 09:24 PM

If you go to the apple store do they replace it there and then? I don't want any time away from my beloved macbooks

quilmes
Forum Regular
Jul 2, 2006, 11:58 AM

The guy told me that they needed to order the parts and would call me when they came in so I could keep using my MB in the interim; so yes I think they'll replace it then and there, provided they've got the parts. We'll see what happens w/mine.

azncreazion
Jul 2, 2006, 04:19 PM

Sweet, will do. Thanks

quilmes
Forum Regular
Jul 3, 2006, 12:19 PM

Just as an update--took the Macbook in around 4 on a Sunday, it was done in the next couple hours, picked it up today. They replaced the keyboard and top case, which, coincidentally or not, seems to have fixed the "sticky mouse button" problem that I've seen on the forums/sites. The new top case, as some others have reported, is of a slightly darker shade than the original and has a different texture (it seems smoother to me, but I think others have reported it as being rougher...ymmv). All covered repair, of course. So, all in all, a satisfying repair experience on my part.

raekwon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 3, 2006, 02:50 PM

Reading first-hand reports is encouraging, as my MB has started showing some discoloration . . . I'm just a bit nervous about it, since there's been nothing official stated on Apple's web site on this as of yet.
Mac mini | 1.83GHz Intel Core Duo | 2GB RAM | 80GB HDD
iPod (5.5G - white) | 30GB

raekwon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 3, 2006, 03:25 PM

Addendum to the above post . . . it looks like the way Apple Stores are taking care of it varies store by store (for now). I just called the store here in Columbus and they said that they can't do in-store replacements right now, but that I should call AppleCare and go from there.

edit: Called AppleCare. They told me that the discoloration issue is "under investigation" and that they will do ship-in repairs. I asked if it could be done in-store and was told "no". The rep asked me the requisite questions about the color of the defect, cosmetic use and dyes on my clothing, then gave me a case number. They're sending me a box to send my MacBook in to them.

I'd really rather not be without my machine for any significant amount of time (even a day or two), because this is my work computer. I'm going to make an appointment w/ the Genius Bar just to see what they'll do for me.
( Last edited by raekwon; Jul 3, 2006 at 08:20 PM. )

raekwon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 4, 2006, 02:09 PM

Another update . . . took my MB to the Genius Bar today and had a similar experience as guilmes above. They ordered the parts and will call when they're in. They told me that the fix could take up to 48 hours, but that if I brought my machine in at opening time (10AM) on a weekday, it's likely that I'd have it back the same day.

Good show, Apple.

Forum Links
Forum Rules