Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > new top for my macbook

new top for my macbook
uicandrew
Senior User
Jul 7, 2006, 12:35 AM

my white macbook was sent in to apple directly (not to an apple store) remove a piece of plastic sheeting caught between the polycarbonate layer and the rubberized layer. purely cosmetic, but obviously due to manufacturer sloppiness.

anyways, while it was in, i wanted them to fix the trackpad button because it was too stiff.

i got it back, and according to the notes that came back with my macbook, the "rubberized" layer (the top part that has the discoloration issues) was replaced, but the trackpad button was still the same. still stiff. My macbook did not have discoloration, but they still replaced the parts that are associated with discoloration. (special thanks to hldan for pointing out the confusing nature of my post)

i'm not sure what to do. i know it is not normal because i've had a blacbook with a much less stiffer trackpad button. should i send it back to apple again?
( Last edited by uicandrew; Jul 8, 2006 at 02:29 AM. )
Mac User since Summer 2005 (started with G4 mini bought from macnn forums!)

ChasingApple
Senior User
Jul 7, 2006, 12:46 AM

I would imagine over time the button will loosen up a bit. My iBook had the same thing and it is perfect now
iMac G4 / Macbook

uicandrew  (op)
Senior User
Jul 7, 2006, 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by ChasingApple
I would imagine over time the button will loosen up a bit. My iBook had the same thing and it is perfect now
how long have you had your ibook and how long did it take for it to loosen up? thanks

ChasingApple
Senior User
Jul 7, 2006, 04:12 AM

When I got my first iBook G4 1.33Ghz last december it took about a month with heavy use for it to get just right. I have another one now and it was broken in for me
iMac G4 / Macbook

Jason
Jul 7, 2006, 05:01 AM

Well, if you had a blackbook, and the trackpad button wasn't as stiff, then there is reason to return it! Personally I would say get them to fix it, because who knows how long you might be waiting for it to 'losen up'
"Amidst all the hype of modern design and computers, we have remained true by generating the majority of our designs by hand, viewing the computer as a tool and not letting it dictate our designs." - Ames Design.

hldan
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2006, 10:09 AM

Your topic is quite misleading, I thought you were going to talk about Apple putting a new top lid on your MacBook instead this became a trackpad replacement question. Hmm. Well while you are in warranty get anything you need fixed or repaired that doesn't seem right. The only thing is that you shouldn't try and compare one machine to the other especially when they are not the exact same machine. The BlackBook uses a different plastic type so this "may" justify a slight design difference in the factory when it comes to the trackpad.
I have had several Apple notebooks and the trackpads have had a different feeling on all of them. It may require you to get used to it.
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

uicandrew  (op)
Senior User
Jul 7, 2006, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by hldan
Your topic is quite misleading, I thought you were going to talk about Apple putting a new top lid on your MacBook instead this became a trackpad replacement question. Hmm. Well while you are in warranty get anything you need fixed or repaired that doesn't seem right. The only thing is that you shouldn't try and compare one machine to the other especially when they are not the exact same machine. The BlackBook uses a different plastic type so this "may" justify a slight design difference in the factory when it comes to the trackpad.
I have had several Apple notebooks and the trackpads have had a different feeling on all of them. It may require you to get used to it.
i don't think my topic is misleading. i said that the top was replaced. The lid and the top are different pieces. the lid is the part with the apple logo. According to the documentation that apple sent, the part is called "top case." the trackpad button is apparently part of the top case.

at least i didn't title my thread "Please HELP ASAP" or "need advice" or something to that nature.

hldan
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2006, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by uicandrew
i don't think my topic is misleading. i said that the top was replaced. The lid and the top are different pieces. the lid is the part with the apple logo. According to the documentation that apple sent, the part is called "top case." the trackpad button is apparently part of the top case.

at least i didn't title my thread "Please HELP ASAP" or "need advice" or something to that nature.
Well it's not really necessary to debate what you said but you don't mention a top being replaced anywhere in your thread. Maybe you should read it again. You only mentioned some rubberized layer. Not everyone knows what that is. Anyways there's nothing wrong with saying, "Please Help". It doesn't generalize your issue but neither does your topic. Your post is asking for advice about replacing your trackpad. A topic on this matter would be. "Should I have my Trackpad replaced"? Or "Trackpad not Satisfactory". Something like that goes along the lines with your post.
( Last edited by hldan; Jul 7, 2006 at 08:20 PM. )
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

nJm
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 7, 2006, 08:30 PM

I thought this was going to be about discolouration - from what I understand Apple is replacing the top piece of white Macbooks that have discoloured.

As for trackpad buttons, I found with the iBooks they varied a lot. Mine was always perfect, other's I've used from the same version (1ghz G4 12") have quite different feeling buttons, some feel more 'clicky' and make more of a noise, some feel a bit more loose.
MBP 2.16ghz 15"
iMac G5 1.6Ghz 17"
Powermac 7200/120

uicandrew  (op)
Senior User
Jul 8, 2006, 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by nJm
I thought this was going to be about discolouration - from what I understand Apple is replacing the top piece of white Macbooks that have discoloured.

As for trackpad buttons, I found with the iBooks they varied a lot. Mine was always perfect, other's I've used from the same version (1ghz G4 12") have quite different feeling buttons, some feel more 'clicky' and make more of a noise, some feel a bit more loose.
you are right, apple is replacing the top piece of the white macbooks.

When i asked apple to fix my trackpad button, the top piece is what they replaced. the problem with my trackpad button was not fixed, but they did replace the top piece.

uicandrew  (op)
Senior User
Jul 8, 2006, 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by hldan
Well it's not really necessary to debate what you said but you don't mention a top being replaced anywhere in your thread. Maybe you should read it again. You only mentioned some rubberized layer. Not everyone knows what that is. Anyways there's nothing wrong with saying, "Please Help". It doesn't generalize your issue but neither does your topic. Your post is asking for advice about replacing your trackpad. A topic on this matter would be. "Should I have my Trackpad replaced"? Or "Trackpad not Satisfactory". Something like that goes along the lines with your post.
you're absolutely right. i re-read my original post, and i never specifically mention the top. i have revised my original post. sorry about that. I had edited my post many times (trying to be as clear as possible) before posting it that i must've deleted some parts i wanted to keep for clarification.

in terms of people posting "please help" without any descripters as to which part or which model (ibook, macbook, clamshell) is more of a "attention grabber" or more sensationalistic than a helpful title (ie - more style over substance)

my thread was meant to be a "counterpoint" to the thread about "official" (sic) policy of trackpad replacement started by Mac Man. that thread was pulled off course so many times. his basic point that there was "officially" (sic) a new trackpad because the top was being replaced. But my thead counters his argument because my top was replaced, but my trackpad (button) was still stiff.

hldan
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2006, 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by uicandrew
my thread was meant to be a "counterpoint" to the thread about "official" (sic) policy of trackpad replacement started by Mac Man. that thread was pulled off course so many times. his basic point that there was "officially" (sic) a new trackpad because the top was being replaced. But my thead counters his argument because my top was replaced, but my trackpad (button) was still stiff.
Oh Okay, now I completely understand how you blended the replacement of the top of your MacBook with the trackpad button issue. Now that you have revised it I know now that you were talking about the palm rest cover. Based on your title I was under the impression that you meant the top lid cover. I still say as I did earlier as long as you are under warranty get the trackpad button fixed if you are not comfortable how it feels. I would recommend going into your local Apple store and check out the white MacBook demos and see how their trackpad buttons feel. If more than one of them feel right to you then get yours fixed. Good luck to you. Reply back and let us know your experience.
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 8, 2006, 02:17 AM

yo! chasing apple..........do you miss your 466 clamshell?

Forum Links
Forum Rules