Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Stupid to buy a G5 refurb now?

Stupid to buy a G5 refurb now?
nlr154
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 15, 2006, 10:17 AM

I'm a graphic design student, just about to graduate. I looking to get my first mac, just not sure what to really go with. I use all adobe programs and I want to buy something that will run them well and for a while - to last like 3-5 years at least. I've heard adobe might not be native till like spring time next year. Thats a while...

To me, the best option is a 2.3 G5 refurb. Ill buy extra ram and put it in. But, that machine looks pretty good. I just don't really want to be one of the testers for the new Mac Pro(or whatever they are gonna call em). I will be using this for school work along with maybe even making some cash. I don't really want to deal with sending it places if it breaks. Plus, the G5 has been out for a while - most of the bugs worked out kinda thing...

Any suggestions? Should I just try to wait till WWDC and see what comes out - maybe get a G5 for cheap?... I am open to suggestions really. I've got a decent budget too somewhere around 2,000 - 3,000. Help me out! Thanks.

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2006, 10:45 AM

When do you need it by? If you wait to WWDC, and the Mac Pros are announced, then G5 prices should lower....

However if the Mac Pro's do come out, they will be so powerful, that they should handle photoshop & other adobe apps under rosetta with no problems. I know you said you don't want to be a tester for a new Mac Pro, but I think Apple would have spent considerable time on those machines.. seeing as they are aimed at their pro customers.. they need to get them right
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

nlr154  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 15, 2006, 02:25 PM

I need it by - late august/early sept.

I think I will wait it out.

Are the Macbook Pro's getting an update? If so - much better then the current ones? I have never had a laptop before but do people seem to find them more useful? Maybe buy a mbp now, then later once the Mac Pro's are tested and out for a while - I will buy myself one of those or something.

Any advice or suggestions would be really helpful. I am new to owning a mac but i've had a lot of experience using them (work/internships). I know RAM is one of the more important things for adobe programs.

thanks.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 15, 2006, 05:00 PM

Let me ask something kinda related, how long do you all think Adobe is going to be releasing Universal apps before go to intel-only route ??

My advice about laptops is simple, get them only if you need the mobility they offer, if you don't need it you will get slower (and lack of scratch) hard disk, limited displays -built in, that is-, less RAM available, same goes for expansion options… versus the Power Mac you are talking about, if you compare a MacBook Pro versus an iMac then it is kinda like a tie, but to each his own, I can understand that laptops and iMacs are 100% fine for some people.

Nevertheless you are right, RAM is key, not only for Adobe apps, Mac OS X loves RAM.

suta
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 16, 2006, 01:38 AM

get a dual 2.7 GHz (refurb) and add 2 gig of ram, it will last 3-4 years or keep as long as u like.
you will no regret it.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2006, 02:45 AM

i gotta disagree with angelmb slightly.

macbook pros are the fastest core duo macs available as of now, and these core duo computers are giving dual 2.3 a run for their money in universal and even rosetta apps (check out photoshop benchmark thread).

hard disk space is a none issue seeing how externals can be used the same as a desktop hard drive.

limited display?...my macbook pro has 1440 x 900 and could drive a 30" acd if i want to...i dont see any limit other than having two 23" side by side (more geared for video than graphics).

ram is only 2gb max on the mbp, but with 2gb chips looming round the corner 4gb will soon be in reach (id say in a years time we'll see em all over the place).

if youre a design student, you dont really need that much power. worry more about the content of your work, and trust me when i say ANY mac out there right now will fit your need for the next 3-5 years...ANY!!! that goes for the macbook, the mini, imac, powermac, or mbp (designers were making outstanding work back in the g3 g4 days if you dont remember).

for me the ideal setup is having a desktop for serious work, and a notebook to carry around to do the small stuff, if i were to suggest a setup as of now. id tell a designer to pick up a notebook that'll hold you over for the next 6-9 months (ie. macbook) and wait for the new macpro to be released and see where the market goes from there (ie. powermac prices dropping or macpro is slightly better than you anticipated). then pick up either or and have a solid machine at home with capabilities outside your room/office for on the go work.

my current setup is a 1.8 imac core duo 2gb connected to a 20" lcd for home and a 1ghz 12" powerbook for on the go that JUST recently got replaced with a 2.0 mpb (found a great deal and jumped on it). hope this helped.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 16, 2006, 03:26 AM

Well, it was not my purspose to blame on laptops nor label them as an inadequate tool. If any got that idea it was bad wording on my behalf. What I should have said is that having had several laptops -being last one a 17 inches PB- and several towers -currently a Power Mac MDD- I find the tower more desirable. I find a pain to full my desktop space with external stuff like a speedier dvd/cd burner, firewire hard disk, huge second display… when you could have a cleaner setup with a tower, dunno… something like that reminds me a nice parrot inside a birdcage…

Well, if you main worry is about speed and/or how long the Mac is going to be useful for you, there is no worry, as iREZ told to you, any actual Mac is a speed bullet, even the low entry Mac mini would destroy my not that old Power Mac G4 at a fraction the cost… Nevertheless, is not speed which makes great design out there, we agree there, much like faster cars don't make better drivers.

Jason
Jul 16, 2006, 06:09 AM

iREZ and angelmb are on the right track, the Macbooks (Pro in my case) are amazing machines, they will handle anything you can throw at it. With design work, i think it will come down to what sort of work you are doing, if you are focusing on specific areas with college (such as logos, typography etc) you will find a MBP or a powermac more than adequate, although if you're working on A1 size (or bigger) posters they will be quite demanding on the CPU which may get quite annoying (i used to get really annoyed when i was waiting for my machine to finish a process when i have about another 10 things to do with it after that!) so if you're going to be working with huge files, then a mid range powermac, or even a low model MacPro will be fantastic.

My advice, if you need portability, get the MBP, if you dont, wait a few months and see how the MacPro's are looking. I would have opted for a mac pro over the MBP if i didnt need to travel everywhere and show different people designs, and also i foudn that my time travelling on trains was being wasted, whereas if i had a laptop i could be doing work!

Now that i've given you a few things to think about ill leave you to it!
"Amidst all the hype of modern design and computers, we have remained true by generating the majority of our designs by hand, viewing the computer as a tool and not letting it dictate our designs." - Ames Design.

nlr154  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 16, 2006, 09:15 PM

Thanks for all the advice. I can wait untill WWDC - so I will see what happens there.

I am still going to school but near the ends of it and Im not sure what I will be doing afterwards so - who knows.

I just want a mac lol.

thanks again. all your suggestions and ideas will help me for sure.

Forum Links
Forum Rules