Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Has anyone figured out how to make 9.1 OS X compatible ?

Has anyone figured out how to make 9.1 OS X compatible ?
mrfreeze
Jan 12, 2001, 01:33 PM

There has to be a way to modify the files. Or perhaps someone well placed could send over the files needed ?? Thanks everyone !!

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
Jan 12, 2001, 11:22 PM

sorry, i think you're out of luck. I don't think anyone would be able to hack the OS X beta to get 9.1 to work.

Frankly, it's not such a big deal because 9.1 doesn't really add anything to the classic environment -- it's only if you use 9.1 straightup that you get some of the extra stuff.

Just stick with 9.0.4 or even 9.0 and wait till March 24th. That will be a great day for all of us

------------------
it's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

mrfreeze
Jan 13, 2001, 04:11 PM

I guess you're right... It would just have been nice !

MikeM32
Banned
Location: "Joisey" Home of the "Guido" and chicks with "Big Hair"
Jan 13, 2001, 04:59 PM

I gotta wonder, I haven't tried it yet however.

I have X PB and 9.1 on two different partitions. Provided I don't use Classic I should still be capable of using the X beta I imagine.

Oh shoot maybe I should just try it and see what happens BRB

Mike

MikeM32
Banned
Location: "Joisey" Home of the "Guido" and chicks with "Big Hair"
Jan 13, 2001, 05:12 PM

Seems to work.

I probably won't be utilizing the beta anyway anymore until the final release. It's just not the same after seeing all the improvements they've made.

Mike

Goggles
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 13, 2001, 05:22 PM

I have OS 9.1 on one partition and OS X on another and so far they seem to coexist well although separately (ie. no Classic under X). I'm thinking the way to get Classic apps to work with this config is to install a vanilla OS 9.0.4 System on the OS X partition?!? Does anyone think this will work? To my mind, this should work theoretically, no?

Goggles

[email protected]
Senior User
Jan 13, 2001, 11:04 PM

yep, goggles, you can!

do a vanilla install on your x partition - then move all the bits to the mac os 9 folder and then _this is important_ boot off of it. choose it in 9.1's startup disk CP or in system disk before starting classic from x. [otherwise it will be grayed out - seems you have to boot off it once for x to see it as fuctional or 'blessed'].

then you can switch between 9.1 and X, as wll as enjoy a vanilla 904 for classic [which is the only way it seems to work without spontaneously quitting apps].

i be doin' it right now.

------------------
phred lender
--
unfettered by rhythm
http://www.stuped.com

spicyjeff
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 14, 2001, 12:12 AM

Exactly, keep a seperate 9.04 System Folder that you use for Classic and another that you use when you boot into 9.1. I have always had a seperate System Folder for Classic anyways to make sure I had the highest level of stability, even when they were both 9.04.

Forum Links
Forum Rules