Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > real quality differences in the pro line?

real quality differences in the pro line?
jam8
Forum Regular
Mar 13, 2007, 12:27 AM

i wanted to get some other opinions on macbook build quality versus macbook pro build quality outside the scope of manufacturer defects. these responses will help me make a decision between which unit i'd like to purchase.

thank you all very much

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 13, 2007, 02:53 AM

Subjectively, I'd say my Macbook Pro feels more robust and solidly built than my friend's Macbook, even though both are good machines. There's something about the aluminum body, which feels very stiff and solid.

pete
Mac Elite
Mar 13, 2007, 09:29 AM

I've literally had almost ten macbook pros and they've all had various quality issues, some worse than others. Although when they're put together properly and everythin works as it should they do feel better in your hand, I don't think they're of better quality or durability. It's really an illusion because of the metal, but it's super thin aluminum, nothing great about that for a laptop that is intended for mobile use! If anything, I think the macbooks are more tolerant of mobile life than the easy-to-dent (and distort) MBPs. No evidence, just a feeling I get.

The macbooks, to me, are more consistent in their build quality. Maybe because the design allows greater tolerances in terms of assembly and alignment. I've seen quite a few (and owned a few too) macbooks and besides some minor issues with squeaky hinges and peeling, they've been very consistently well-built. I think Asus has better assembly lines than whoever it is that assembles the MBPs.

At the end of the day, there are no guarantees and there is always a chance that you get a dud. I would just choose what you like and hope for the best.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Mar 13, 2007, 07:21 PM

I don't have a handle on build quality, but in many other characteristics (FW800, card slot, backlighting, real GPU, RAM, etc.) the MBP is significantly superior.

-Allen Wicks

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 14, 2007, 04:32 PM

My MBP feels delicate compared to a MB. I've already bent the frame, though I was able to bend it back. Works great though!
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

rlinhares
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 14, 2007, 10:51 PM

my old powerbook alu was/felt much more robust than my macbook.
2-iphone.com

fongyuen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 14, 2007, 11:09 PM

my wife's mb feels more solid than my mbp. i feel like i have to be more gently with my mbp (maybe just cause it's mine? ), but i think that the magnetic latch allows me to not worry about breaking anything while opening and closing the lid.

fivell
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 14, 2007, 11:58 PM

In my opinion, having taken apart the PB1400 through the MBP, the ibook/MB are consistantly of better build quality. The PB/MBP look and perform better. If it were myself in the market for a new laptop, I would consider a new Acer with Vista.
Just kidding! Figure out what you will be using it for, what programs you will be using and their requirements, and buy according to your budget. I just purchased an iBook for my sister; 600mhz, 40gb hd, 640 mb ram, and airport for @$300, perfect for web browsing, email, importing digital photos, managing music, writing school papers, and basic web development. It has FW transfer speeds, and runs OSX 10.4 with no problems.
Newton 2100, 1400CS, Lombard, Cube, PB867, iMac G5

highstakes
Senior User
Mar 15, 2007, 12:37 AM

I use my MBP in all of my classes, and I am always afraid that it might hit hard surface and something bad will happen. So far, the laptop taken some hard hits while in the back pack (dropped it once in the library, thank god for the carpet)...but no problem what so ever. I'd say that both MB and MBP's are well built, because my roomie has a perfectly-working-MB and I am sure his laptop got its share of hits/dents.

Forum Links
Forum Rules