Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Macintosh HD disappeared from Desktop/Finder

Macintosh HD disappeared from Desktop/Finder
onlyone-jc
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 3, 2007, 10:20 AM

Has anybody else experienced this? I was thinking it might be 10.4.10, but I had access to the drive a few days ago, and I updated to 10.4.10 the day it came out without any problems, so I'm not sure if it is.

I've tried repairing permissions, but to no avail.

Is there a way that I can get it back?

iTunes has also decided that it doesn't want to launch anymore. Could this be a result of Macintosh HD disappearing?

Thanks,
onlyone-jc.

philm
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2007, 10:30 AM

Could you have removed hard drives being shown in Finder Preferences...?

shinykaro
Forum Regular
Jul 3, 2007, 10:38 AM

The disappearing HD is probably a result of changed Finder preferences.

Are there any apps besides iTunes that aren't starting up? Have you installed Safari 3 Beta recently?

onlyone-jc  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 3, 2007, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by philm View Post
Could you have removed hard drives being shown in Finder Preferences...?
That was one of the first things I checked, and it's still enabled to show the drive. It seems very odd.

Thanks,
onlyone-jc.

onlyone-jc  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 3, 2007, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by shinykaro View Post
Are there any apps besides iTunes that aren't starting up? Have you installed Safari 3 Beta recently?
It's only iTunes that I'm having the trouble with. I have installed the Safari 3 beta, and am using it regularly. However, I installed the beta the day it was released, and the issue with Macintosh HD and iTunes has only cropped up in the past few days.

Thanks,
onlyone-jc.

shinykaro
Forum Regular
Jul 3, 2007, 10:49 AM

Hmm... I had an issue that popped up when I was trying to install 10.4.10 even though I had installed Safari 3 beta a few days earlier. Might have been a combo of the two. It affected WebKit, which iTunes, Mail, Software Update, Adium, Safari, and Skype all rely on to run. But if only iTunes is refusing to work, the problem probably lies something else.

Still, it's always worth rolling back to 10.4.9 and getting rid of Safari 3 to see if that fixes the problem. I had to archive and reinstall, then update to 10.4.9, that fixed all my problems. I've reinstalled .10 since, but have stayed away from Safari 3. Worth a shot, right?

onlyone-jc  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 3, 2007, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by shinykaro View Post
Worth a shot, right?
I guess it is. I'll wait to see if there are any other things I can try, and then give it a go, if all else fails.

Thanks,
onlyone-jc.

dru
Senior User
Jul 3, 2007, 11:36 AM

I see drives vanish from the "Computer" frequently. Eventually they turn up again. If you need to, open Disk Utility and click the drive. They're mounted and have no errors, it's just the Finder being stupid.

I suspect this is related to custom Finder view settings but I'm not 100% sure. It's part of my list of FTFF complaints along with labels that sometimes are cut in half vertically and windows updating at a pace such that a double-click will sometimes end up opening an item that suddenly popped into the place of that which I was trying to open and scroll bars forgetting there are more items outside the visible area of the window when lots of items are moved out.
20" iMac C2D/2.4GHz 3GB RAM 10.6.8 (10H549)

onlyone-jc  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 5, 2007, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by dru View Post
I see drives vanish from the "Computer" frequently. Eventually they turn up again. If you need to, open Disk Utility and click the drive. They're mounted and have no errors, it's just the Finder being stupid.
Yeah, that's what I've had to do. I opened 'Disk Utility', and dragged the 'Mount Point' to the Desktop to create a shortcut to '/'. I've then dragged this in to the side-bar in the Finder. It's a quick work-around, but it still doesn't allow the finder to browse it under certain conditions (for example, when saving a file from within an application), since it is only a shortcut.

Thanks,
onlyone-jc.

tcollins
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 25, 2007, 10:29 PM

Same thing happened to me- here's how I got it back.
Download Path Finder (free) from Versiontracker.com.
Run Pathfinder. Right-click (or select) "Macintosh HD" in Patherfinder's window. Select "Get Info".
Uncheck "Invisible"!

This was MUCH easier than formatting the drive and re-installing everything, like I did last time!

onlyone-jc  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 26, 2007, 05:44 AM

You absolute gem, tcollins!

Thanks! I wonder how it managed to make itself invisible?

Thanks again,
onlyone-jc.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 26, 2007, 06:09 AM

This appears to be a 10.4.10 problem. I'm glad I'm not an early adopter.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Forum Links
Forum Rules