Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > VGA to S-Video converter?

VGA to S-Video converter?
mkral
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 6, 2007, 01:27 PM

Not specifically powerbook related, but my wife got a windows laptop from work & I don't even really know where else I'd look for this answer. I tried to do a search, but I got something about my search term (VGA to S-Video adapter) being under the 2 word minimum for macnn searches. I can't think that I'm the first person with this problem, but I can't find any other posts about it.

Here's the question: Her laptop, a Toshiba something (windows XP media edition) has only a VGA output. Is it possible to convert a VGA signal to either S-Video (probably preferred) or HDMI? If so, does anyone have any recommendations as to which products would work best. Inexpensive solutions would be nice, as the only use of this would be to watch Amazon unboxed movies occasionally on our TV. Tried to rent Bourne Supremacy yesterday. Everyone was out. itunes doesn't carry it. Amazon had it for $0.99, but wife's windows PC has a 13" screen which would suck for a whole movie for 2 people. 42" Plasma mounted on the wall 6' away, but no way to hook up laptop.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

iamthebest22
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 6, 2007, 02:12 PM

Yes there is a VGA to S-video adapter, and recent TV's has a VGA adapter built into it, so that you can go straight from your computer to the TV using VGA. If your TV doesn't have the VGA port, then use S-video, but there will be no sound b/c S-video only carries video, not audio, There are good ones at the Apple stores for lik 20-30 dollars, but whether they work for other comps other than Apple I am not sure, but it should, since VGA doesn't really have a company limit on it.

mkral  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 6, 2007, 02:20 PM

Hmm, just checked the apple store again & I don't see any VGA to S-video converters. I see lots of Mini-DVI & DVI to S-Video, but she doesn't have either of those ports.

Yah, I wish we had a VGA connector on the TV, but no such luck. I'm good with the Sound, as I have a mini-RCA to RCA cable that I use when connecting my powerbook to the TV.

Thanks for the quick reply.

onlyone-jc
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 6, 2007, 03:58 PM

Why don't you give this a try. It's cheap enough to take the risk.

Good luck,
onlyone-jc.

ibook_steve
Aug 7, 2007, 03:37 PM

This will only work if this laptop's VGA out supports it. Apple's adaptor (currently DVI or mini-DVI to TV out; used to be VGA or mini-VGA to TV out) works with Apple computers because the computer detects the adaptor and changes the analog VGA signals from VGA into TV (composite and s-video) output signals. If the Toshiba does not support this switching, then no adaptor will work. I'm willing to bet it will not work. Any PC laptop that would support TV out would have a specific s-video or composite RCA output, not share it with the VGA. Apple does it to save space since there's no room for extra connectors anywhere.

Steve

mkral  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 15, 2007, 11:28 PM

Dang it, I subscribed to this thread, but never saw either of the last two posts. Thanks for taking time to reply to me. The ebay auction has ended by now, but I'll take the advice & see if her computer's video card will work with that. I realize it's a long shot, but that sure would be nice to have.

ibookuser2
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 16, 2007, 12:14 AM

This is the kind of thing you'll need, which will convert a VGA signal of 1024x768 or lower resolution to S-Video and composite. A simple cable adapter isn't going to do it unless your video card specifically supports it.

mkral  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 16, 2007, 12:17 AM

Sweet, thanks for the link. That looks like it'll work perfectly.

Forum Links
Forum Rules