Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > So let the whining begin.

So let the whining begin. (Page 6)
turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 17, 2008, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
CHILL OUT. The title of this thread is "So let the whining begin". This thread is all about complaining about the products Apple did and did not announce at the Expo. If you don't give a ****, don't read this thread - easy solution.
Oh the irony. You chastized him for a perfectly whiny post

-t

mindwaves
Jan 17, 2008, 11:59 AM

It's simple. It costs more to make electronics smaller. Case solved.

The MBA would be perfect for me. I just wish that it had an extra USB port and I wish that I had some money.

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2008, 12:02 PM

I guess I'll break up the whining a bit...

So, did you guys hear about the manilla envelope notebook sleeve for the MBA?

Yea, those are some pretty smart people right there.
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 17, 2008, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by mindwaves View Post
I wish that it had an extra USB port and I wish that I had some money.
Why do you need two USB ports ?

Most people complained that they would need one USB port for a mouse. That's just plain stupid. Wouldn't anyone in their right mind use a BT Mightmouse with the MBA ?

-t

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2008, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Most people complained that they would need one USB port for a mouse. That's just plain stupid. Wouldn't anyone in their right mind use a BT Mightmouse with the MBA ?

-t
Wow. That is just plain stupid.

Its supposed to be an entirely wireless laptop. They probably tried working on a wireless charging solution as well. If you used it right, I don't see what you would really need the USB port for. Flash drives I guess.

(This is under the impression you're using it as a secondary computer.)
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 17, 2008, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Mac User #001 View Post
If you used it right, I don't see what you would really need the USB port for. Flash drives I guess.
I agree.

As long as you are traveling (i.e. not at home, stationary), a memory stick is about the only thing I can see needing the USB port.

The only other use for a USB port (for me) is to charge my cell phone or iPod.

-t

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2008, 12:30 PM

Yup, I'll be using it for my flash drive, that's it.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

anogee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 17, 2008, 01:36 PM

Why do you need two USB ports ?
Since it has no Ethernet jack, many people will need to use the USB-to-Ethernet adapter. Yes, I know it has Wi-Fi, but if you have been in many US companies lately, you will notice that many don't allow Wi-Fi access.

Second, since there is no DVD, then the thought of using a USB memory device isn't out of the question. And since many companies are cheap now, including Apple, and NOT shipping devices with chargers, that is where USB fits in as well, as a charging port for iPods, Blackberry's, phones, etc..

I can certainly understand not adding a DVD drive to such a device, but not adding a second (or third) USB port and Ethernet is not smart in my opinion, especially since their cost and the space they use is so minimal.

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2008, 01:54 PM

Minimal, yes, but still enough to not be able to fit into the tightly packed Macbook Air.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 17, 2008, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by anogee View Post
Since it has no Ethernet jack, many people will need to use the USB-to-Ethernet adapter. Yes, I know it has Wi-Fi, but if you have been in many US companies lately, you will notice that many don't allow Wi-Fi access.
Nah, Apple has done the right thing.

The MBA is a notebook for HIGHLY mobile people.
Ethernet LAN just goes against that.

If you are in a stationary office situation, just plug in a darn small USB hub. Or get an Airport Express.

Originally Posted by anogee View Post
but not adding a second (or third) USB port and Ethernet is not smart in my opinion, especially since their cost and the space they use is so minimal.
You are aware that you can't just add an ethernet jack. You'd also need to add an ethernet chip and some hardware around it. THAT might not have fit into the MBA.

-t

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jan 17, 2008, 05:33 PM

Also, an Ethernet jack is about twice the height of that USB jack and the micro-DVI.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2008, 08:16 PM

I'm doing something rather boring and repetitive here at work so I've been reading through the pages here in this thread. Aside from being a rant thread by nature, I'm surprised at the reactions of people here.

Many of you are acting as though your family's honor has been insulted, and the only response is to spill blood. Relax. These are products, and we'll see how they do. They may all work out well, they may all be destined to failure.

I feel confident that Apple's not going anywhere for a long time. I too can say that Apple has changed, but one thing it keeps doing well is challenging the other players in the market. So in the end, this is all better for all of us. We'll see further innovation and growth within the industry. Outside of game development, the industry tends to stagnate with Apple.

The MacBook Air impresses me. Will I get one? No. I don't want or need a portable. I, like a lot of others, think this is a good companion product. It's good if you have a primary computer at home and you need a computer to take with you on flights, and when you're out of town. Because of this, I think the price ought to go down, so I hope it will. If it doesn't, I don't really care that much.

Time Capsule is cool. I didn't realize that Apple had disabled the Aiport Basestation's ability to host a drive or whatever. I think that's frustrating. I don't have either. Anyone know if Time Capsule's drive can also be used as a regular network drive for a multi-computer house, or is it only a Time Machine drive? (I guess there's no such thing as a TM-only drive)

The Rentals are too expensive. I can go down to RedBox and get a movie for a buck (and sometimes for free). Otherwise, cool.

My iPhone is Jailbroken and unlocked for use on Tmobile. I guess I'll have to wait for 1.1.3, or just stick where I am. I'm a bit miffed at the apps for the iPod costing $20, as I got my wife one for Christmas and she was wanting some of those things.

All in all, it was a good MacWorld. Not the best, but a good one. This year I decided to become an investor, and am waiting for some funds to clear so I can buy Apple. I'm hoping Friday AAPL doesn't go up too much. (I wanted to buy this morning, but apparently my broker takes a couple days to do ACH on initial deposit. )
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2008, 09:17 PM

I could understand the strong, negative feelings for the MBA if it replaced either the MacBook or MacBook Pro, but since both of these remain in the lineup, I think that the MBA just fills a role that neither the MacBook/MBP can do.
"It's weird the way 'finger puppets' sounds ok as a noun..."

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 17, 2008, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by cjrivera View Post
I could understand the strong, negative feelings for the MBA if it replaced either the MacBook or MacBook Pro, but since both of these remain in the lineup, I think that the MBA just fills a role that neither the MacBook/MBP can do.
So if the MacBook Air replaced another product and sucked, it would suck, but if it just sucks without replacing another product, it doesn't suck?

I would think the sucking would be the definitive factor.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2008, 09:27 PM

I don't think the MBA "sucks" per se. It's a nice computer. I just don't see it being widely adopted because there are cheaper, more equipped alternatives for most users needing a portable computer. Other than being thin, there's not too much that's compelling (to me) about the MBA. Plus, for an ultra-portable computer the MBA looks pretty fragile - I foresee a lot of people breaking these things unless they are REALLY careful. Flimsy is the best word to describe the way it looks.

silver
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 17, 2008, 09:29 PM

Really "To each his own" I say.

What I hope to see is some of the tech, trickle it's way into the MBP line i.e the TrackPad gesture thing is very nice.

Cheers
 MBP 17" 2.16ghz, ATI x1600 256, 100GBHD, 2GB ram, 23"AppleLCD

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2008, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
So if the MacBook Air replaced another product and sucked, it would suck, but if it just sucks without replacing another product, it doesn't suck?

I didn't say it sucked. Just a different tool for someone with different needs.

using a car analogy (and I hate using car analogies)...
MBA is like a 2 seater/convertible expensive sports car. The MB like a Sedan. The MBP like a work truck.

Is the convertible a bad car just because it doesn't hold as many people as the sedan or have the towing capacity as the truck?
"It's weird the way 'finger puppets' sounds ok as a noun..."

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jan 17, 2008, 09:46 PM

Yes. But it doesn't.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 17, 2008, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by silver View Post
What I hope to see is some of the tech, trickle it's way into the MBP line i.e the TrackPad gesture thing is very nice.
I'm hoping to see any technology trickle its way into the MacBook Pro line. Penryn, more RAM, proper graphics card — anything. (I think this is also part of the reason the MBA pisses people off. Even if it didn't officially replace the MacBook Pro, it really did when it comes to anything happening with it. — kind of a perception thing.)
( Last edited by Chuckit; Jan 17, 2008 at 10:35 PM. )
Chuck
___

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 18, 2008, 12:00 AM

I'm hoping to see any technology trickle its way into the MacBook Pro line. Penryn, more RAM, proper graphics card — anything. (I think this is also part of the reason the MBA pisses people off. Even if it didn't officially replace the MacBook Pro, it really did when it comes to anything happening with it. — kind of a perception thing.)
I'm not sure if I follow you. The AirBook is in no way a replacement for the MBP, reality or perception wise. The video card in the MBPs is fine too, at least as far as I am concerned and 4GB of RAM for a laptop is nothing to be sneezed at.

Jeez people, not so long ago we were all using PhotoShop with <1GB of RAM and coping just fine.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 18, 2008, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by Mastrap View Post
I'm not sure if I follow you. The AirBook is in no way a replacement for the MBP, reality or perception wise.
Expected: Improvements to the MacBook Pro
Got: MacBook Air

Do you see it now?
( Last edited by Chuckit; Jan 18, 2008 at 12:51 AM. )
Chuck
___

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jan 18, 2008, 01:17 AM

Expected: Improvements to the MacBook Pro
Got: MacBook Air

Do you see it now?
Wow. Just wow.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 18, 2008, 03:42 AM

later down i'm sure they'll incorporate some of the features into the MBP line. the multi-touch track-pad is awesome. as well as the flip down ports. that i'd like to see. not as easy for dust ect to get in, or a, ahem, a loose paper clip in ones bag *whistles*

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 18, 2008, 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
Wow. Just wow.
You think wanting the MacBook Pro to be updated is unreasonable?
Chuck
___

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2008, 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
This device is a supplementary system. A novelty and status symbol more then anything else.
Supplementary, yes. Novelty and status? No.

To me the Air is directly targeted at business travelers and/or people who travel a lot for any reason. It's not a machine for heavy duty work and it's not a primary machine. However, for someone who needs a computer so they can stay in touch and get some work done for a few days, it's perfect. It's small, light and powerful enough to use Safari, Mail, Word and iTunes. This thing might be up my brother's alley. He's a lawyer, and if you removed all but the four apps I listed from his MacBook Pro he probably wouldn't notice.

I also stumbled on another demographic today I hadn't even thought about. The girlfriend of one of the guys I work with does risk management for a bank. She has a fairly powerful desktop at work, but when she's away from work all she needs to do is check mail and surf the web. Since getting an iPod Touch she has almost completely stopped using her old laptop, as the Touch does everything she needs. The Air might be great for her, too.
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 18, 2008, 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by Don Pickett View Post
To me the Air is directly targeted at business travelers and/or people who travel a lot for any reason. It's not a machine for heavy duty work and it's not a primary machine. However, for someone who needs a computer so they can stay in touch and get some work done for a few days, it's perfect. It's small, light and powerful enough to use Safari, Mail, Word and iTunes. This thing might be up my brother's alley. He's a lawyer, and if you removed all but the four apps I listed from his MacBook Pro he probably wouldn't notice.

I also stumbled on another demographic today I hadn't even thought about. The girlfriend of one of the guys I work with does risk management for a bank. She has a fairly powerful desktop at work, but when she's away from work all she needs to do is check mail and surf the web. Since getting an iPod Touch she has almost completely stopped using her old laptop, as the Touch does everything she needs. The Air might be great for her, too.
In what way is the MacBook Air better suited than a MacBook in these cases? Perhaps the MacBook is more powerful than they need, but it seems a little strange to my mind to pay more just to make sure you don't get any extra power.
Chuck
___

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2008, 04:20 AM

In what way is the MacBook Air better suited than a MacBook in these cases? Perhaps the MacBook is more powerful than they need, but it seems a little strange to my mind to pay more just to make sure you don't get any extra power.
Because it's smaller and lighter than the MacBook. So, if you have to travel back and forth between Paris and New York regularly, as does she, every inch and ounce saved helped.

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2008, 04:21 AM

I almost forgot: as this is the whining thread, I am incredibly disappointed Jobs didn't announce every Mac now comes with a unicorn and Heather Graham's phone number.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 18, 2008, 07:24 AM

It's smaller, lighter (considerably so) and it doesn't look like the kind of laptop teens use. It looks the business. And whatever you personally might think of that, that's important to some people, myself included. Where I work we have a meeting the client dress code for just that reason. The AirBook would fit right in, the MacBook not so much.

Also, and again this might not be something you personally would do, but people pay for style. People pay $200 for a pair of BOSS jeans when you can get the WalMart special for $10.00. Just because this doesn't appeal to you doesn't mean that it doesn't appeal to others.

The AirBook, as we've stated many times now, isn't right for everybody. It's a supplementary machine for most, a travel companion, or a home machine for grown ups. My wife would love one to use at home.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 18, 2008, 08:08 AM

Is this Broadway? Holy crap, people.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2008, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post
Is this Broadway? Holy crap, people.
No, why?

Oh, because of the drama? That's clever.

I still don't understand why you take issue with people criticizing the MBA. You are getting one. Great. We get it. But that doesn't mean that we can't talk about what we see as shortcomings.

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2008, 10:05 AM

Apple users ONLY see the shortcomings.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2008, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by ctt1wbw View Post
Apple users ONLY see the shortcomings.
Not true. The MBA is really cool looking and THIN. It's also pretty light. The trackpad is new and not found in any other Apple laptop. Errr, that's about it.

1) HD - Bigger and faster HDs in the MacBook.

2) RAM - Non-upgradeable in the MBA, upgradeable in the MacBook.

3) Optical Drive - No optical drive in the MBA.

4) Ports - more ports in the MacBook

5) Size - MBA is 2 lbs lighter than a MacBook and thinner than a MacBook

So, yes, for people who want/need a super thin and light computer with no expandability, a slow HD, no optical drive, and 1 USB port, the MBA is perfect.

MacosNerd  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2008, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
I still don't understand why you take issue with people criticizing the MBA. You are getting one. Great. We get it. But that doesn't mean that we can't talk about what we see as shortcomings.
Actually this thread has de-evolved into a pissing contest.. Nothing new is being offered from either side.

Yes the MBA has compromised the speed and expandability.
Yes for some the size and even look is more important then the speed.
Yes, the MBA is a bit on the pricey side, but so aren't all macs. Macintoshs have had this reputation (fair or otherwise) for years, why are we now arguing $$$

The bottom line is does it really matter, those of us who want the MBA will buy it. Those of us who don't like it will not buy it.
Then of course is my group, I like it, but its not a good for my needs.

Like so many other threads here, we ended up yelling our points w/o listening and now not even offering anything new to say. both sides are pretty entrenched.

I'd like to say lets move on but I also know that won't be the case.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 18, 2008, 10:45 AM

True that.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 18, 2008, 11:37 AM

WTF ?

Apple is giving us choice, but people complain as if Apple has taken away choice.

And for the "no MBP update" whiners, why don't you give Apple a little time. There will be updates coming - guaranteed.

-t

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 18, 2008, 11:59 AM

I almost forgot: as this is the whining thread, I am incredibly disappointed Jobs didn't announce every Mac now comes with a unicorn and Heather Graham's phone number.
Why would you want a unicorn?
Chuck
___

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 18, 2008, 12:00 PM

For the magical unicorn mayonnaise.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 18, 2008, 12:11 PM

Dee-lish.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

His Dudeness
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2008, 12:56 PM

I want a pony.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 18, 2008, 01:02 PM

I am incredibly disappointed Jobs didn't announce every Mac now comes with a uniporn and Heather Graham's phone number.
Fixinated.

-t

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 18, 2008, 04:55 PM

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 18, 2008, 04:59 PM

Blao

scottiB
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2008, 07:06 PM

What is Heather up to nowadays?
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 18, 2008, 07:22 PM

about a C cup I believe

darkmatter
Forum Regular
Jan 18, 2008, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
I'd like to say lets move on but I also know that won't be the case.
1.-If it would be possible I would under-clock the C2D inside the MacBook Air to get some more minutes battery life, I'm hopping for an easter egg that on energy saving modus the battery life is greater than 5 hours.

2.-Somewhere I read that the SSD memory is surface mounted on the main board, Apple site states Optional 64GB solid-state drive (2), and no! the number 2 is only a reference to "1GB=1 billion bytes. Actual formatted capacity less." Thank you Apple for the detailed information! I only hope that the interface to the SS disk or memory is SATA. How noisy will the PATA disks will be after 1 year use?

3.- Does the sound output port is stereo? How hard would be to specify this at Apple's web page?

4.- I will use the USB port for HSDPA access

Despite all the above and the glossy widescreen I find the Macbook Air a great "mobile" computer

5.- iPhone rest of the world, not even rumors, more than one year waiting, not really funny

6.- iPod nano 3G still with tilted screens and no new software updates

7.- iPod touch a strong contender to become my next mobile computer

8.- Apple ≈ wait

Best Regards
( Last edited by darkmatter; Jan 18, 2008 at 09:23 PM. )

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 18, 2008, 09:19 PM

I think it's hilarious that for three years, people scream that Apple needs to release a sub-notebook NOW, and when they do just that, people scream that it lacks the features of a full-size laptop.

WTF? I don't need one now, because I have a Powerbook, and I don't travel a whole lot, but when I get around to replacing it in a couple years, I just might replace it with an AIR. I think they're damn nice machines.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 18, 2008, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by darkmatter View Post
3.- Does the sound output port is stereo? How hard would be to specify this at Apple's web page?
Dude, how hard would it be to use your brains ?

I mean, what else would it be ?

Mono 8 bit ?

-t

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Jan 19, 2008, 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan View Post
I agree with you completely, especially about the comparison with Starbucks. When Jobs resurrected Apple from the dead, they went through a period of making bold, classic products like the lampshade iMac or the TiBook. Today, the stuff they make is nice but it isn't bold or striking. I expect the Starbucks crowd will continue to buy more Apple notebooks, because these two companies seem to appeal to the same type of customer.
Oh. My. God.

This is the whiniest, most confuse-Apple-with-your-girlfriend post I have ever read. Congrats.

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Jan 19, 2008, 02:32 AM

Anyone can have a pony.

Forum Links
Forum Rules