Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Marathons

Marathons
MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Apr 21, 2008, 07:42 PM

So they held the boston marathon today, and being that I work in the city, it made my commute "interesting" The thing I find curious about the marathon is that they televise it. I mean, its even more boring then watching golf. Its a great accomplishment to be sure, but a spectator sport, I dunno.

A few years ago, it used to be broadcast by all of the local television stations, and they'd drive a truck in ahead of the front runners, who had breath those noxious fumes and run 26+ miles. At least now they drive a truck that uses natural gas or electricity.

So does anyone actually watch a marathon race on tv, be it boston, ny, chicago or [insert your city]?

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 21, 2008, 07:44 PM

seeing as the finish line was right around the corner from me. making my commute to and from my schools cafe was interesting. 30 minutes to do a usual 5-10 minute walk. not to mention all the gated off streets. I watched on Hereford (sp) street for a while. easier to watch there then getting through all the people near the finish like i did last year

Sage
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2008, 07:44 PM

I’ve watched a few marathons. But I’m a long-ish-distance-runner, so I can empathize, which makes it much more interesting.

MacosNerd  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 21, 2008, 07:52 PM

I've been a spectator to the marathon (in person as opposed to tv), in years past and I'm also a runner. Not so much as a long-ish runner myself. During the summer, my distance will creep up to 10 miles but thats about where I'll stop. I've been tempted to run it, but between work and family life, its difficult to find the time to run for extended periods of time.
( Last edited by MacosNerd; Apr 21, 2008 at 08:01 PM. )

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Apr 21, 2008, 08:05 PM

I'll probably be volunteering at the Chicago Marathon this year as I can't seem to kick an injury. There's so much more than just the running - there's the amazement at watching the top runners go buy at an average mile pace faster than I can run one, the crazy outfits and gimmicks people use, etc. I'd rather be running it, but watching the marathon will still be fun.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 21, 2008, 08:09 PM

re: crazy outfits

I don't know if they were wearing clothes underneath or not, but two guys near the end of the marathon were in these huge red dixie cups. Didn't look to comfortable.

MarkLT1
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 21, 2008, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
re: crazy outfits

I don't know if they were wearing clothes underneath or not, but two guys near the end of the marathon were in these huge red dixie cups. Didn't look to comfortable.
At the 2006 NYC marathon, I saw a fire fighter running in full gear! I saw him at mile 4, and at mile 22, so I assume he made it the whole way.

As for watching marathons, I love it. Being one who could never run one myself, I am always in awe. My wife is a marathoner, and several of our friends are, so a few times a year, I find myself cycling alongside a marathon route cheering on someone I know.

This weekend we drove up to Boston not for the Boston Marathon, but to watch a close friend of ours compete in the Womens US Olympic Marathon Trial (on Sunday). That was an awesome race to watch, as there were only the top 150 US women running, and they were all elite athletes. I think the "slowest" runner finished in just over 3 hours .

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 21, 2008, 10:52 PM

part of that was on commonwealth avenue. i woke up to people cheering right outside my window. i watched the ladies run past my place for a while.

heh. sidenote:
when boston signs read, no parking starting at 12:01am they mean it. so many cars got towed saturday night

MarkLT1
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 21, 2008, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
part of that was on commonwealth avenue. i woke up to people cheering right outside my window. i watched the ladies run past my place for a while.
Yup.. they did a loop through the city, went over the mass Ave bridge, then did a loop up and down Memorial drive 4 times. We sat in the grassy median of Memorial Drive just past Wadsworth st. Was a great way to watch a marathon, as we were able to see everyone run by 8 times (4 times going east on memorial, and 4 times going west).

heh. sidenote:
when boston signs read, no parking starting at 12:01am they mean it. so many cars got towed saturday night
Doh! That wouldn't be too fun to wake up to!

kelso
Forum Regular
Apr 22, 2008, 01:04 AM

I'm a distance runner and I actually find marathons quite exciting to watch. You can really see what someone has accomplished when you have experienced it. So I am guessing until you have experienced it, you don't find it all that exciting.

MacosNerd  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 22, 2008, 07:51 AM

Interesting insights and feedback.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 22, 2008, 08:10 AM

Watching a marathon on TV is like watching baseball on TV for me. BOR-ING. Watching any street footrace in person is a different thing though, just like watching baseball in person.

A couple weeks ago I was part of "Race for the Cure" here, and while I walked, I saw tons of people doing everything from strolling with the kid in the buggy through running full out. Sure, it's only a 5K, but imagine the level of difficulty in running that 5K through over 30,000 other people. Harsh. But being there was fun, and that's part of the event. TV coverage is never good enough for that sort of multifaceted event.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules