Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MSN broadband with OSX

MSN broadband with OSX
gsciorio
Nov 5, 2001, 12:17 AM

I want to upgrade to MSN broadband (the only service in my town) but the requirements are for windows only.

Can't I just manually enter the ISP info myself like DNS stuff?
Giulio

fulmer
Professional Poster
Nov 5, 2001, 01:37 AM

Is it cable or DSL? With DSL, you should be able to get an Ethernet modem, which would allow your Mac to connect. If it's cable, I'm not sure...you could always use a PC running Windows 2000 (and perhaps another variant) to utilize the cable.

That's for starters. I'm sure other folks here know much more.

gsciorio  (op)
Nov 5, 2001, 02:40 AM

Thanks Fulmer,

MSN is DSL. So if I got a eithernet hub do you think I should be able to connect it to my TiBook via Airport?
Giulio

pedromac42
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 5, 2001, 10:00 AM

As far as I know, with DSL, you have to establish a secure connection (PPPoE) with the ISP, so a hub alone will not work. I can't speak as to an AirPort, but I have my dsl running to a cable/dsl router, then to a hub (you can buy a combo, but i just happened to have an old hub, so i got the less expensive router), and then to both my older windows machine and my new TiBook. it works really well.

good luck!

fulmer
Professional Poster
Nov 5, 2001, 01:53 PM

Originally posted by gsciorio:
<STRONG>Thanks Fulmer,

MSN is DSL. So if I got a eithernet hub do you think I should be able to connect it to my TiBook via Airport?</STRONG>
No hub, but an actual DSL Ethernet *modem*. BellSouth works this way--on their site they recommend that Windows XP users use an Ethernet DSL modem, as it requires no drivers.

I imagine the same is true for MSN, even if they tell you they don't support Macs. You may be able to acquire a DSL Ethernet modem and do it yourself. I'm speculating here--If they say they don't support Macs, then don't go ahead unless you're willing to risk the $$ and time of failure.

Forum Links
Forum Rules