Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > IE5 on a PowerBook 3400?

IE5 on a PowerBook 3400?
TheAdmiral
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 9, 2000, 04:22 PM

I've got Internet Explorer 5 on my PowerBook 3400c/200 with 80mb of RAM and I experience lags quite often while loading a web page or switching programs with IE5 active. Is anyone else having this problem? I'm also running OS 8.6 and ACTION GoMac, if that's any help.

------------------
-The Admiral
"Understanding is a three-edged sword." -Kosh, Babylon 5

TheAdmiral  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 9, 2000, 04:37 PM

Update: I just restarted without ACTION GoMac... no change... still experiencing the lag.

------------------
-The Admiral
"Understanding is a three-edged sword." -Kosh, Babylon 5

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
May 9, 2000, 05:58 PM

I woudln't use Internet Explorer 5 on any machine any less powerful than the PowerBook G3 that came in the 3400 casing. I don't think the 3400 has the processing power to run it. My only suggestion would be to have at least 128 megabytes of RAM, turning off virtual memory, increasing the disk cache, and allocating more memory to Internet Explorer via the "Get Info" (command-I) function.

Goggles
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 12, 2000, 01:07 PM

The previous post is totally incorrect. I am running IE5 on my 3400c/200 with only 48MB of RAM and it rocks. G3 definately not required! As a matter of fact, I've even got IE5 running on my 2300c with no problems. The problem is very likely that the memory allocation for IE5 is set too high. Some plug-ins will up the MEM allocation automatically so that's where I'd start. I find that IE5 actually feels a tiny bit faster than 4.5 FWIW. 8^)

Goggles
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 12, 2000, 01:14 PM

ps.

I'm running OS 9.0.4 on my 3400c/200. IE5 is rock stable on my systems. Judicious use of extensions can help with memory related issues as well. If the memory allocation thing I mentioned in my previous doesn't help, perhaps a buggy extension is the cause. Just my two cents...

zensmile
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 12, 2000, 01:25 PM

I have IE 5 running on my 3400/180 w/ 80 MB of RAM. No problems. Very nice browser and renders very clear and sharp.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
May 13, 2000, 03:48 AM

It all depends on your definition of what "crystal clear" means...

I think I've always been fortunate to run equipment no more than about a year or two old. Maybe our definitions of "slow" and "fast" are different.

Anyway, if it works for you, great. If I was completely wrong, well, ignore my last post. I based my post on the speed of my iMac, and experiences with my former laptop, a 3400c/200. On my revision B iMac, Internet Explorer 5 crawls along and takes absolutely forever to render websites, though I'm on a dedicated (most of the time, anyway) T1. It's not bandwidth that's in issue. It's probably because I'm running virtual memory, since I never did upgrade my RAM. But, I figured that it should still be faster than a 3400c.

I never had the chance to run Internet Explorer 5 on my 3400c. I remember that my experiences with the 3400c weren't the best... All I remember was a great audio system, a cool new case, but frequent crashes, and slow startups. (This was with OS 8.1, I believe.)

BigMark
Mac Enthusiast
May 18, 2000, 08:35 AM

I'm using a 3400c/200 with 80MB of RAM, with 8.6 and no other 3rd party extensions (temporary computer) and IE 5 works as expected on a computer of this config.

There is maybe a 1 sec. delay when switching to other apps but nothing to write home about.

And let's have less of this "..just my 2 cents." It really isn't necessary.

wlonh
Professional Poster
May 18, 2000, 09:27 AM

yeah BigMark, like of course it is just your .02... whose else's would it be? i agree, it is the dumbest 'saying' on the 'net, hands down.

But odd that you just posted in another forum that you had gotten a new pismo 500MHz and know you are using an old 3400? hmmm

zensmile
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2000, 02:54 PM

My 3400/180 80MB RAM OS 9.04 runs great with IE 5. It does start up a little slow...but I have zero problems with switching between apps and the rendering of stuff within web browsers.

I don't have any third party extensions and keep everything "as close to Apple software" as possible. One day I quit putting 3rd party stuff on my machine (enhancements, GUI stuff, etc) and I noticed that it quit crashing.

Go figure. If you are having system problems...

Run Norton, defrag the drive, zap the pram, rebuild the desktop.

If all else fails...then initialize the drive and reinstall the OS. I betcha things get better if you do that! ;-)

Zen

[This message has been edited by zensmile (edited 05-18-2000).]

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
May 19, 2000, 01:19 AM

"wlonh", why do you have to be such a police officer?

Maybe the 3400c was his old PowerBook, and he hasn't yet transferred his files onto his cool new Pismo.

TheDoctor
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 3, 2000, 11:16 AM

I admit that my experience with IE 5 does not come from a PowerBook, but I've been running it for several weeks on a PowerMac 6100/66 running OS 8.5 with both 72MB and 136MB of RAM and IE 5 is pretty quick. I am running it with VM on, BTW.

Forum Links
Forum Rules