Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Connecting emate to G4

Connecting emate to G4
Lavergne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2001, 11:19 PM

Anyone know the best way to get an emate to connect to a G4? I thought using a serial to usb adaptor might work, but I think I've read somewhere that appletalk won't work on such an adaptor. Is this true, and if so, what are my other options?
Thanks.

Goggles
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2001, 11:51 PM

I use a Keyspan USA-28X USB to Dual Serial adapter with my PowerBook G3 and it works like a charm to connect my eMate or my MP2100. It works under 9.x natively using Keyspans drivers and it even works in the Classic Environment under 10.1. The trick to using the adapter in Classic is to NOT install Keyspan's OS X drivers. If you install the OS X drivers, you will not be able to talk to your Newton. The other trick here is to connect via Serial and not Appletalk.

Hope that helps. Email me if you need more specific instructions.

Cheers,
Goggles

Lavergne  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2001, 12:21 AM

Googles,
Thanks for your quick response. Is it the Keyspan USB twin serial adaptor or the Keyspan high speed USB serial adaptor you're refering to? Keyspan's site says both work with Newtons, but the twin serial adaptor won't support Appletalk.
Thanks again.

Goggles
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2001, 02:28 PM

I have the Dual Serial adapter listed on the following page: http://www.keyspan.com/products/usb/usa28x/ Works great! I don't need it to communicate via Appletalk, I connect via Serial on the Newtons and have the second port set to Printer Port USB. As I mentioned in my previous post, if you want this to work under Classic in OS X, DO NOT install the Keyspan drivers for OS X! It will not work.

Regards,
Goggles

Forum Links
Forum Rules