Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Dodge - Refuel America program

Dodge - Refuel America program (Page 2)
ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
May 8, 2008, 09:46 AM

I'm still wondering why everyone blames the SUV for the gas prices but every time I fill up, I see more cars in the pumps than suv's. When I drive on the interstate, I see more cars than suv's.

Eug
Clinically Insane
May 8, 2008, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by ctt1wbw View Post
I'm still wondering why everyone blames the SUV for the gas prices but every time I fill up, I see more cars in the pumps than suv's. When I drive on the interstate, I see more cars than suv's.
Ah, the classic, "Why is everyone blaming me?" response.

Who here said that SUVs alone are responsible for high gas prices? I think the general gist of this thread is that fuel efficient cars are usually easier on the pocketbook than gas guzzlers. Gee, go figure.

---

This Dodge $2.99 gas marketing gimmick kinda reminds me of those fixed rate natural gas contracts. I find it rather telling that they push these fixed rate plans when natural gas prices are high. Why? Cuz there is a good chance prices will eventually drop and they make even more money. In a way, the same thing applies here with the Dodge plan. They offer up this plan when oil has hit record highs. Sure, prices may go even higher, but there's also a strong possibility prices will drop. Let's say that gas prices stabilize at a still high $3.39 per gallon. With this $2.99 plan, and a 500/year allotment, that would me a savings of 200 bucks a year, or $600 over the course of the program. Meh.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
May 8, 2008, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by zerostar View Post
I think we are past the massive decline in SUV Sales, they are WAY off this past year and are getting worse every day. Some dealers won't even take anything larger than an expedition back on trade now.

Sales fell 32% this year, that is MASSIVE for the auto industry.

Mish's Global Economic Trend Analysis: Death of the SUV
They'll only take vehicles the size of an Expedition or smaller?!?

So, that would be ...everything?

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
May 8, 2008, 10:03 AM

No, they turned me away when I tried to trade-in my Garbage Truck.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
May 8, 2008, 10:06 AM

Yeah, I hear those things have a pretty shitty resale value. This sounds like it will foil my plans of trading in my fire truck for a Prius though.

Eug
Clinically Insane
May 8, 2008, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
No, they turned me away when I tried to trade-in my Garbage Truck.
Yeah, but a Garbage Truck is one of those 0.00001% of vehicles that is actually bigger than an Expedition.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
May 8, 2008, 10:22 AM

Yep, that's the joke alright.

zerostar
Mac Elite
May 8, 2008, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by nonhuman View Post
They'll only take vehicles the size of an Expedition or smaller?!?
So, that would be ...everything?
Actually I meant explorer, sorry my memory was shot, I am looking for a link now... and besides there are a ton of vehicles, Excursion, Hummer, Tahoe, Yukon, Commander, etc. etc. but the point is they can't sell that many of them and I am sure it will extend to most SUVs soon, its the trend.

zerostar
Mac Elite
May 8, 2008, 10:31 AM

Who blamed the SUVs? I re-read the thread and didn't see it, did I miss it twice?

Trust me its not just SUVs the car I want only gets in the 20's in the City, but if I can get it next year I will because I have dreamed about owning one for a long time

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
May 8, 2008, 11:13 AM

Well, pretty much everyone. Just because it's not mentioned in this thread, doesn't mean anything. I hear it on the news every second of the day.

And yeah, my car that I really want gets bad gas mileage, too. The Charger SRT-8.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
May 8, 2008, 11:18 AM

So what you mean to say is, "I'm still wondering why everyone except everyone in this thread blame the SUV for the gas prices but every time I fill up, I see more cars in the pumps than suv's. When I drive on the interstate, I see more cars than suv's."

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
May 8, 2008, 11:21 AM

You not speak or comprehend Engrish or something?

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
May 8, 2008, 11:23 AM

Well, I was just joking, but I don't see how it isn't technically correct with what's been said thus far.

Eug
Clinically Insane
May 8, 2008, 12:15 PM

Well, pretty much everyone. Just because it's not mentioned in this thread, doesn't mean anything.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
May 8, 2008, 12:34 PM

You not speak or comprehend Engrish or something?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
May 8, 2008, 01:29 PM

It took me like three minutes to notice what was wrong with that sign... I feel dumb.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
May 8, 2008, 01:30 PM

To be honest I wasn't looking at... it's ...shirt to begin with, either.

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
May 8, 2008, 01:31 PM

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
May 8, 2008, 01:33 PM

Well, pretty much everyone. Just because it's not mentioned in this thread, doesn't mean anything. I hear it on the news every second of the day.

And yeah, my car that I really want gets bad gas mileage, too. The Charger SRT-8.

If anyone watches CNBC, they were doing an interview, not 5 minutes ago, where they were discussing the world market on cars and which countries were better poised to take advantage of the small car market.

A minute later, one the hosts said "The US is addicted to their SUV's, huh?"

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 8, 2008, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
Somebody's taking things a little too personally.
He is a complete Dodge fanboy, with more money than sense...expressed perfectly in the fact his wife drives a ****ing Hemi SUV, yeah GREAT purchase. You certainly need a 345 HP grocery-getter. Not to mention the new Durangos are pug fugly.

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 8, 2008, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
What distance?

The Durango 5.7L Hemi is rated for 18 mpg highway, which translates to under 500 miles on its 27 gallon tank ($100 fillup).

That's not bad for a 5.7L truck, but it still is terrible in the greater scheme of things.
18 MPG Estimated highway mileage. I have a 4.3L V6 and I see around 18 MPG highway at 75 MPH. I figure you'd have to drive with the wind behind you at 55MPH in a hemi truck to see anywhere near 18 MPG.

iLikebeer
Mac Elite
May 8, 2008, 02:58 PM

How do they pay the difference to you? Do you have to keep track of receipts, mail them in, and wait for a check each time? That would be a pain. It reminds me of mail in rebates over and over for 3 years. What percentage of people actually mail those in? I know it's relatively low.

*edit
Ok, I see they give you a card, but how does that work? A CC, prepaid card, or discount card?
( Last edited by iLikebeer; May 8, 2008 at 03:15 PM. )

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 8, 2008, 03:05 PM

Not really. I have a 2005 Durango with 94k miles on it. I've gone through one set of brakes, one set of tires, and it's only broken down once and that was when the belt tensioner broke. Three hundred bucks in maintenance costs over 94k miles isn't bad. I'd buy another Dodge in a hot minute.
All new cars should be just as reliable. My comment about avoiding Dodge like the plague is mostly due to the fact that their design team is lead by a bunch of blind paraplegics.

I've had a good experience with two Dodge's, a 95 and a 99. Both needed zero work and ran liquid smooth.

However, buying a gas-sucking Hemi SUV is just dumb. You'd be better off getting the 3500 Ram Quad Cab with a diesel in it.

If only they had a Durango diesel option you'd gain towing and hauling capacity and get better mileage.

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
May 8, 2008, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
He is a complete Dodge fanboy, with more money than sense...expressed perfectly in the fact his wife drives a ****ing Hemi SUV, yeah GREAT purchase. You certainly need a 345 HP grocery-getter. Not to mention the new Durangos are pug fugly.
I bet you drive a 50 pound pussy mobile that when you pick it up, it says Matchbox on the bottom, huh? Or are you just jealous that I can afford a 38k truck? You sound just like that stupid ****ing pussy ca$h, who berrated everyone because they didn't drive what he deemed to be appropriate.

There happens to be reasons why I drive something like that. None of which I feel like getting in to with you, but lets say my wife and I own a business, using SUV's of this size, and there's three numbers in front of the comma.

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
May 8, 2008, 05:09 PM

And besides, why the **** should I justify a purchase to you? My wife wanted a Durango, black, leather, and a dvd player. The only ones at the time were the SLT Limited Hemi.

analogika
Posting Junkie
May 8, 2008, 05:19 PM

Wow.

And all this time I thought you were, like sixteen.

Now I'm wondering how a sixteen-year-old ends up with a wife that drives a Durango.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
May 8, 2008, 05:29 PM

I bet you drive a 50 pound pussy mobile that when you pick it up, it says Matchbox on the bottom, huh? Or are you just jealous that I can afford a 38k truck? You sound just like that stupid ****ing pussy ca$h, who berrated everyone because they didn't drive what he deemed to be appropriate.
So obviously the best course of action is to "berrate" (sic) him for questioning your choice of vehicle.

I hear this argument a lot, too. It's weird. Owners of large SUVs seem to like to defend their purchases by claiming that their critics are jealous. I don't really understand. Why would you be critical of someone's vehicle if you were jealous? If someone said, "You're a jerk for driving an expensive car," then maybe that argument works. But if they say "You don't need such a freakin' huge car," that doesn't sound like jealousy to me. A lot of people see owning a small vehicle as a plus, and are very confused when people tell them that they're jealous of such a large truck. You'd be confused if a Prius owner told you you're jealous of their little hybrid car, wouldn't you? Obviously you would, because you don't like small cars.

Personally, if someone insulted me for my choice of car, I'd tell them it's none of their business what car I drive and I don't have to justify my purchase. Then again, I don't own an SUV and I never will. I don't like SUVs but if someone wants to buy one, it's their own business. That doesn't mean I maintain a high opinion of Durango/Hummer/Expedition owners.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
May 8, 2008, 05:45 PM

There is obviously a reason manufacturers make SUVs. People buy them. They aren't the best choice for everyone (and if automakers cared more they would offer every full size with a diesel), but sometimes one has to carry people, cargo, and haul a trailer, and the M3 just won't do all of that. While I hate full size SUVs, they have their place in the market, just as much as an Accord or M3.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
May 8, 2008, 06:00 PM

They do, but if the only people who bought SUVs were people who might actually use their cargo, towing, and off-road capability more than once every ten years, their sales would be in the toilet.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

analogika
Posting Junkie
May 8, 2008, 06:07 PM

...or rather, in the very small niche where they belong.

(and my automobile, a van actually used for transporting stuff in addition to people, would not cost almost $800 in taxes annually, but the $250 it did before the government here closed the tax loophole previously exploited for luxury SUVs)

CreepDogg
Mac Elite
May 8, 2008, 11:47 PM

If folks want to buy SUVs they are free to do so. The only thing that bothers me is that to this point, SUVs have been subsidized more than cars, so there's even been significant incentive in place to buy one. The subsidy has been:

1) SUVs are not subject to the same safety regulations as cars. So, pound-for-pound, they can be built more cheaply. People buying SUVs are getting the advantage of this loophole.
2) Until recently - and even to some degree still - cheap fuel. Sure, these things are gas-guzzlers, but who cares? SUV drivers didn't have to bear that burden by paying the true societal cost of the resources they were using! Now that gas is more expensive, it's closer to reflecting the total cost and SUV drivers are closer to paying their fair share for their right to drive their behemoths.

So if you can afford your 38K SUV, by all means have at it. But don't complain about gas prices, and don't get irked if I look at you sideways because you're contributing more to the continuing rise in fuel prices than I am. And believe me, I'm not jealous - I drove a 50K convertible (yes, paid for) before I discovered my Mini is much more fun (and gets me where I'm going reasonably economically). So yes, I can afford to needlessly use more resources than necessary too, I just choose not to.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
May 9, 2008, 12:46 AM

Plus the tax breaks for them if you own a business.

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 9, 2008, 01:38 AM

There happens to be reasons why I drive something like that. None of which I feel like getting in to with you, but lets say my wife and I own a business, using SUV's of this size, and there's three numbers in front of the comma.
Actually, in case you missed it, I work in an industry where people buy heavy duty vehicles based upon their value instead of looking badass.

I own a 4x4, a Sonoma. It can payload 1300Lbs which is over a 1/2 ton rating. I don't think you're a bad person for your purchase, I just think you wasted money, and continue to do so by fueling that monstrosity.

I applaud your income, sadly I'm not in the position to throw money away on a wasteful vehicle. Ask anyone who tows anything, they'd rather have a nice diesel than a gas sucking monster V8.

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 9, 2008, 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
Wow.

And all this time I thought you were, like sixteen.

Now I'm wondering how a sixteen-year-old ends up with a wife that drives a Durango.
Nope, I'm the young punk...instead I actually use trucks for their purpose...maybe their groceries are reeeeaaally heavy?

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
May 9, 2008, 01:41 AM

I drive the Durango to make the income, dude. I'm 38. Stop criticizing people because they buy vehicles that you don't like. Are you sure you're not that little faggot ca$h? You sound just like him.

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
May 9, 2008, 01:42 AM

And why is that everyone calls SUV's "grocery getters"?

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 9, 2008, 01:43 AM

Yes, I've maintained this account for over 8 years just to annoy you.

I don't care how well off you are, you're wasting money, congrats, why don't you buy a few Dells while you're at it?

sek929
Posting Junkie
May 9, 2008, 01:45 AM

And why is that everyone calls SUV's "grocery getters"?
Because anyone in their right mind that needs to do any sort of real sport or utility uses a different vehicle then a glorified minivan with poor gas mileage.

Wifes use SUVs to buy your toothpaste, good thing for the 20" clearance!

Eug
Clinically Insane
May 9, 2008, 01:46 AM

Quoted for posterity, cuz it's amusing.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
May 9, 2008, 03:07 AM

133,IMPOTENCE?

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
May 9, 2008, 05:38 AM

haha, funny, ya moron. It's called a JOB. I can't do my JOB in a Honda Civic. Just like the dude with the Ram 3500 can't do his in a twin cab Chevy S-10 pickup.

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
May 9, 2008, 05:39 AM

Because anyone in their right mind that needs to do any sort of real sport or utility uses a different vehicle then a glorified minivan with poor gas mileage.

Wifes use SUVs to buy your toothpaste, good thing for the 20" clearance!
Haha, funny ya moron. She hasn't driven it in a year because she doesn't need to. It only has about 45k miles on it. And I can buy my own toothpaste, thank you. Now get back to second period home economics.

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
May 9, 2008, 05:41 AM

Yes, I've maintained this account for over 8 years just to annoy you.

I don't care how well off you are, you're wasting money, congrats, why don't you buy a few Dells while you're at it?
I have two already. Plus two Macs. And what does Dell have to with anything...? And how am I wasting YOUR money? I didn't see you paying for my gas the other day. And I only drive the Durango about 20 miles a day. My other car is a Wrangler that I use to get to work.

villalobos
Mac Elite
May 9, 2008, 07:19 AM

well at least you fit the cliché of big bad-ass truck buyers perfectly....

villalobos
Mac Elite
May 9, 2008, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
5.7l V8

That's more than two Formula One cars!

If you describe the mileage you get out of such a car as "very good" then the fuel in the US must be incredibly cheap.
Gas a pretty darn cheap in the US, indeed. Too cheap for the US's good too.

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
May 9, 2008, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by villalobos View Post
well at least you fit the cliché of big bad-ass truck buyers perfectly....
Why, because I actually use mine for work? And I wouldn't call a 4.7L V-8 base Durango a big bad-ass truck.

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
May 9, 2008, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by villalobos View Post
Gas a pretty darn cheap in the US, indeed. Too cheap for the US's good too.
It's cheaper in Iran, but I wouldn't call Iran one of the world super powers. And send me 10 bucks a gallon, I'll fill your car up for and I can keep the rest. Good idea?

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
May 9, 2008, 08:11 AM

Wow, way to lose your ****, man. You dropped pussy and faggot on us, plus you seem to be acting like your income is some kind of validation as to how awesome you are. I'm surprised you haven't included measurements of your member for your closing argument.

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
May 9, 2008, 08:43 AM

Well, someone already said I was impotent because I drove a Durango. And I never bragged about my income, just the fact that I have to use a big vehicle to accomplish it. If I could put about 700 newspapers in a Honda Civic Hybrid, I would. But that would be very very hard to do.

CreepDogg
Mac Elite
May 9, 2008, 09:12 AM

And how am I wasting YOUR money? I didn't see you paying for my gas the other day.
We are ALL driving up gas prices by collectively continuing to demand more and more of the stuff. You're contributing more to the rise in prices than I am. You're free to do so if you can afford it, and I'm free to not like it and express my disdain.

Forum Links
Forum Rules