Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Finder has unexpectedly quit...after format and new OS install?

Finder has unexpectedly quit...after format and new OS install?
PixelPete17
Jul 15, 2003, 05:27 PM

Hey guys,

PLEASE HELP ME....

I'm going to go postal and abduct myself, then hold myself hostage until I meet my own demands unless I get some real help here...ha hah? (maybe that wasn't as funny as I meant it to be.. sigh)

Anyway, I just did a low level format of my HD in my DVI TiBook, even wrote zeros to HD to just make everything "oh so fresh, zesftfully clean", and then did a fresh install off of my factory OS 9 CDs. All was good (supposedly), until I intalled my basic programs (PS 7, Illust 9, ID2, OFFICE 2001, Macr Studio MX, Quark 3.32, and maybe a little else...not much), and now I get constant "finder has unexpectedly quit" messages. Restarting with extensions off clears up the problem completely, but NO extension combo will now run stable? HUH? I've tried barebones extension (OS 9.2.2 BASIC with the little black lock beside it) and that was fine for about three restarts...then I added ONE extension and things crashed...so i thought that one extension is the problem and then turn it back off. (it was a digital camera usb extension). NOW even OS 9.2.2 Basic doesn't work....as soon as finder comes up i get "finder has unexpectdly quit"... (I really need a ledge...)

Can anyone give me some clues here on what to do...

I've run Apple Hardware Diagnostic CD and I'm fine hardware wise, but when I start up from the second partition of my internal drive, and it has a seperate clean install of OS 9.2.2....even IT crashes at the desktop...help my Any One Kenobi...you're my only hope.

I'm going to go out shopping for a tall ledge now, but I'll be checking in frequently as this is a commercial machine and it has work that needs to be done on it....please do help if you know anything that I can do, I just cringe at having some local shop look at it and charge me more than a chunk of "chump" change to fix my laptop. I know a lot about OS 9 (but not technical expert obviously), and I just can't figure this one out.

Thanks so much,

Pixel Pete

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 16, 2003, 02:02 PM

How to fix your problem:

1. Upgrade to OS X

2. There is no step 2!

Okay, maybe that's not what you were looking for. I'm sorry you're having these problems. The fact that barebones extensions sets won't boot properly tells me there's something other than software screwing you over here. Have you zapped the PRAM? Have you reset the power manager? Have you tried to reseat your RAM modules? Try all of that and then tell us what's going on. . .

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

BurpetheadX
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 22, 2003, 11:00 AM

Its possible the finder is curropt somehow. Do a custom reinstall from the OS 9 CD (it will be an option) of just the base system. But before you do that, try rebuilding the desktop by holding down command + option when the finder launches. Cheers

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Jul 22, 2003, 11:38 AM

Originally posted by Big Mac:
How to fix your problem:

1. Upgrade to OS X

2. There is no step 2!

Okay, maybe that's not what you were looking for. I'm sorry you're having these problems. The fact that barebones extensions sets won't boot properly tells me there's something other than software screwing you over here. Have you zapped the PRAM? Have you reset the power manager? Have you tried to reseat your RAM modules? Try all of that and then tell us what's going on. . .
Well actually he HAS got a TiBook DVI and versions of the apps that run in OSX. So...Why the hell are you still in OS9 PixelPete ???? (oh and you can use Quark in Classic.. but you have ID2 !!!)

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Jul 27, 2003, 10:48 AM

1. Trash Finder pref, restart.

2. Do a Get Info on the Finder (it's in the System Folder), increase preferred memory.

3. Send PM to Cipher13.

Good luck!
( Last edited by Gankdawg; Aug 3, 2003 at 03:40 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules