Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Proper SEO

Proper SEO
HamSandwich
Feb 23, 2017, 04:25 PM

Hey everyone,

So, I need to do SEO for www.design-books.de.

Any advice? I just wanted to add some keywords, but is this enough? How do you do it right? Any tutorials that are really good?

Are keywords simply enough?

Greetings,
Pete

andi*pandi
Feb 27, 2017, 12:48 PM

Keywords are somewhat old-fashioned. Overusing them can penalize you nowadays also. Better to write headlines with the keywords in them, and make sure they are in a <h1> tag.

HamSandwich
Feb 27, 2017, 12:51 PM

I changed the title in <title></title>, so that it includes more important information. Good idea? Other than that, I'm a bit eccentric and I use only images instead of headlines and CSS on the website. :-/ It was just the best solution for the moment, I'm aware it is non-standard.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 28, 2017, 10:10 AM

Good code can help your SEO. Your code is too table dependent, you are missing a doctype, you have images as text (missing alt tags), etc.

HamSandwich
Mar 4, 2017, 11:27 AM

Hey,

I tried adding a doctype - and it sort of messes up my page, it pushes my main table upwards so that there is no longer a border between top and top of the table :-( So, apparently, I can't add a doctype. Tried adding an HTML 5 doctype and one for HTML 4, doesn't work.

I also added a few alt tags, so that might help. Can't do any better, apparently.

Greetings,
PeterParker

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 4, 2017, 11:40 AM

Hi Peter,

Ideally, there shouldn't be a main table. Tables used for page layout is not a modern convention, and alt tags will not give you anywhere near the SEO as having text as HTML. Generally speaking images that consist of only text should be avoided at all costs.

HamSandwich
Mar 4, 2017, 03:58 PM

Well, thanks for the input... But still, look, it sounds a bit strange maybe, but I was in a rule-breaking mood, sort of. I broke with many conventions. For instance, the website is responsive, meaning it looks great on iPad and iPhone - but only in landscape mode. The text images were the simplest way to circumvent the difference between browsers and their various settings, see... I didn't use any CSS, but I programmed everything manually, and I used simple methods like tables, still I realised a good design that looks modern and a bit timeless. Now, I'm adding gallery using good old JavaScript, but they support touch and add a lot to the website. So, even if it would be good for SEO, I won't change the programming of the website, it would be too difficult, in a way. It's not so much of a problem if the SEO is not best, I just thought, I'd try with good SEO, and if doesn't work, so it shall be. Many people know the website, though, so they'll see it no matter what. So... I added keywords, description tag, a better title, alt tags, that must be enough, hmm.

My 2 cents.

Forum Links
Forum Rules