Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > which bag for the 12" yaoBook

which bag for the 12" yaoBook
Dubloseven
Forum Regular
Mar 18, 2003, 11:26 PM

i got my 12" yaoBook a week ago and so far its great. i want to protect it so that it doesn't break. which bags do you recommend? I am looking at probably getting a timbuk2 bag at the end of this month (they are adding a new computer bag at that time). are the bags from sfbags.com really worth $180? thanks
MacBook 2.0, 4 gig Nano, Nike+
loving cal poly slo every minute!

Blizz.Element
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 19, 2003, 12:05 AM

yaoBook. -

SplijinX
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 19, 2003, 12:50 AM

Highly recommend Timbuk2, especially their laptop sleeves for protection when used with another bag, the thing has like 1/2" - 1" of padding all around. I'm looking forward to their new line of bags as well.

www.timbuk2.com
Are those free-ranged animal crackers?

PeterKG
Senior User
Mar 19, 2003, 02:29 AM

Originally posted by Dubloseven:
i got my 12" yaoBook a week ago and so far its great. i want to protect it so that it doesn't break. which bags do you recommend? I am looking at probably getting a timbuk2 bag at the end of this month (they are adding a new computer bag at that time). are the bags from sfbags.com really worth $180? thanks
I think the Waterfield bags are well worth it.
Purchase a Suite Spot and save some money.

I have the:

Medium Cargo Bag
Sleeve
Gear Pouch
Camera Case
Wallet

GlobalNomad
Senior User
Mar 19, 2003, 04:54 AM

Hi,

My dad has a Tumi bag that has lasted him 10 years and still looks pretty good, so I went over to my local bag store

The 'Lightweight Expandable Compact Computer Brief' Style 2661, fits the 12" powerbook perfectly. Its almost like the computer was designed to fit in the bag .

It has 3 outer pockets, 2 one one side and 1 on the other side. The two pockets on one side are firstly one is made for like notes or stick envelops (mail size). The other pocket on this side is a little bigger. It has a spot for two pens, PDA, Phone, and key chain.

The pocket on the other side, is very skinny. It is mostly designed so you can open the top of the pocket and the bottom of the pocket and place the handle of a 'carrie' on bag threw the open spot. So it is then attached to the roller.

It is expandable, the expandable pocket in the middle has space for a big text book and two notebooks in the 'divided' pockets.

The computer pocket fits the 12" just perfectly and is made in a sertain way that if you turn the bag upside down with the zip open a flap holds the computer in the bag. In side the computer pocket there is like a sub division for two discs and then a charger, or a book could be placed there.

The shoulder strap is shorter than I am used to however, it sits just above your hip (yeah kinda little longer than a hand bag ), but it has a very good strap and you can walk and walk and it does not hurt your back or shoulder. I usually find that some backpacks make my back feel uncomfortable.

The bag looks very stylish, however it doesn't look to 'flashy'. You can get the bag in either leather or 'Ballistic Nylon'.

I would give this bag 9.7 out of 10

(This was all copied from another post , but seriously I will post some pictures tommorow, I am very tierd at the moment (damn uni study))

rishio
Mar 19, 2003, 05:06 AM

Hi. In case you are interested, I just posted this:

fs: medium waterfield cargo bag

My Waterfield Bag is for sale...

rishi
[email protected]

iohead
Mar 19, 2003, 05:07 AM

I received my Brenthaven backpack today (for the 17" - I believe the one for the 12" is "similar").

Although in my opinion $179 + tax is kind of steep for a, well, backpack, this is one of the best, perhaps *the* best backpack I've seen.

It's been _designed_ very thoughtfully. The ballistic nylon material looks and feels excellent, yet the bag itself is very inconspicuous (doesn't have any logos or "STEAL ME" signs!).

The straps have excellent padding, and although I haven't carried this bag for a long time, it "looks" comfortable.

The main zipper is hidden by a flap so that it's not exposed.

There are tons of pockets and sleeves, both outside and inside, but the best feature of this bag is the notebook sleeve, which is certainly the best I've seen. The sleeve looks and feels very solid, and has a *lot* of padding all around. It looks like you can drop your notebook contained in this sleeve and it will be fine.

I paid Apple retail price for this (including tax) because Apple's store said "3-5 days" for delivery, while various online retailers didn't have it in stock. The bag was ordered Saturday evening, and it arrived Tuesday morning (standard shipping!).

I would highly recommend this bag if you are willing to spend this much money (I believe the 12" is around $150).

Regards
-A

lion-o
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 19, 2003, 08:15 PM

Originally posted by iohead:
I received my Brenthaven backpack today (for the 17" - I believe the one for the 12" is "similar").

Although in my opinion $179 + tax is kind of steep for a, well, backpack, this is one of the best, perhaps *the* best backpack I've seen.

It's been _designed_ very thoughtfully. The ballistic nylon material looks and feels excellent, yet the bag itself is very inconspicuous (doesn't have any logos or "STEAL ME" signs!).

The straps have excellent padding, and although I haven't carried this bag for a long time, it "looks" comfortable.

Im very interested in this bag, do you have any pictures or know where i can find some?

tia

Dubloseven  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 19, 2003, 09:29 PM

rishio,
is there enough space in your medium cargo bag to hold several books/binders and other things? if so, i might be interested.
also, why do you say that timbuk2 bags are second best? what makes the bags from sfbags.com better?
thanks

rishio
Mar 19, 2003, 11:13 PM

Hey Dubloseven. It makes very efficient use of space. Without a powerbook, you can store a couple big books, a binder, notepad, folders without a problem. If you stick a G4 and sleeve in there.. there is plenty of room for additional paper, a few books, folders, plus a slim binder all together in the main compartment. And with the 12" in there.. you will have plenty of room in there.. the 12" is tiny! I am being conservative with the amout you can put in. Just ask around for an unbiast view or search the reviews.

the main compartment is on the top. You can access it without flipping the front flap. Thats where you would store your books, computer, notebooks, etc. There are nice little places in there also for your keys, checkbook, cards etc.. It's a pretty versatile compartent that can take pretty much anything.

On the front of the flap is a zippered pocket. This is where I store my wallet, my keys, and other miscellanious items. You can use one hand to flip open the aluminum airline buckle (3000 lb capacity i believe) in the front. Inside, you will find 2 deep hand pockets that can take anything from water bottles to pdas and anything of the sort. It is really quick to access. Then there is another zippered pocket under the flap that has two subcompartments within it. You can store loads of stuff in here like cables, pdas, story books, mice, power adapters..etc.. The nice part about it is that it expands inwards so filling it up doesn't make the bag fatter. There is a pocket on the side of the bag for your cell phone. On the back there is a velcro compartmant for papers, mail, magazines, etc. Note, it is a very long, quality made velcro strip that is very well done. Earlier versions of this bag had a shorter velcro stripped. And inside the main compartment is a bright gold interior so things don't get lost inside.

In addition, the shoulder strap is very comfy and they have this really simple but cool thing that makes adjusting it very fast. It's not like adjusting straps in other bags. I don't know how to explain.. but its really cool. The shoulder pad it comes with is very well done. it is soft on the side that touches your shoulder and slides freely along the shoulder strap.. so moving the bag around does not make the shoulder strap move... it stays put on your shouder and lets the strap slide around as you move the bag.. bad explanation..but i'm just trying to say its a good shoulder pad...

Regarding it being better than the timbuk2 bag.. this is my opinion. I would say half the people like timbuk2 bags better..half the people like waterfield bags better. I personally thing this bag is much better looking and superior functionality. For example, you do not need to flip the flap for the main compartment.. it is available via a high quality zipper right on the top of the bag. When it comes down to it... it's the little things about this bag that make it better... like the bright gold interior...the ultra efficient use of space.. the flawless attention to detail... the triple stitching in key areas that require strength.. And the service of the company is superior... The ceo anwers every question I send him with utmost detail.. For example.. I asked timbuk2 how much a specfic bag weighs... they told me a few days later between 3 - 4 lbs. Waterfield gives really precise answers... which is what I expect for the price I am paying..

Anyway..there are plenty of reviews right on the waterfield site.. and all over the internet.. I have to go now.. have finals to study for... sorry for the long message.. i was just in a hurry...

oh.. and peppercorn is the most beautiful color.

let me know if you have any more questions...

BTW... dubloseven.. where are you located?

rishi

rishio,
is there enough space in your medium cargo bag to hold several books/binders and other things? if so, i might be interested.
also, why do you say that timbuk2 bags are second best? what makes the bags from sfbags.com better?
thanks
( Last edited by rishio; Mar 19, 2003 at 11:41 PM. )

rishio
Mar 19, 2003, 11:16 PM

Originally posted by lion-o:
Im very interested in this bag, do you have any pictures or know where i can find some?

tia
compusa sells this bag. I tried this out in my bag research b4 settling on waterfield. I personally thought that the brenhaven bag was a bit bulky.. But thats just my opinion...

rishi

Dubloseven  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 20, 2003, 01:29 AM

Originally posted by rishio:
BTW... dubloseven.. where are you located?
rishi
cool...thanks a lot for the info. i'm gonna really consider your bag. also, i live in san jose.

Dubloseven  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 20, 2003, 01:30 AM

one more question...
is a laptop sleeve needed to keep the powerbook in good condition, or can i just throw the computer into the bag and be set?

iohead
Mar 20, 2003, 01:59 AM

Originally posted by lion-o:

tia
I'll try to take some pictures and post them. I've only seen one standard picture of this bag everywhere - it's kind of small and you can't see detail. Look under "Portable Gear" on Apple's website.

-A

iohead
Mar 20, 2003, 02:01 AM

one more question...
is a laptop sleeve needed to keep the powerbook in good condition, or can i just throw the computer into the bag and be set?
In my opinion a sleeve is a must have. If you have access to a store that sells Brenthaven bags (I believe the Apple stores do), check out the sleeve that comes inside their backpacks. I can't imagine *not* putting my notebook inside that - so much secure!

penmanila
Mar 20, 2003, 03:02 AM

i'm quite happy with the $39 powersleeve12 from booqbag--perfect fit, since it was especially designed for the albook and not the ibook. minor quibbles are that the pocket in the back is a bit tight and the strap is rudimentary (i just snipped it off), but very strongly built, otherwise, and reasonably priced. unfortunately, i think booq is out of them for a while.
AlBook 867 640/60/Combo/APE
iBook 500 320/10/CD/AP
2400c 180 80/18/Wi-Fi
Tons of Duos, Anything Mac and Small!

tomb
Mar 20, 2003, 10:26 AM

ive done quite a bit of research trying to find the perfect bag for my 12 inch. something light and compfy to carry around and durrable enough to protect this little gem when i throw the bag into my bike basket and cruise around the pockmarked streets of nyc. checked out the waterfield, acme, timbuk2, manhattan portage, ems sleeve, tumi sleeve and bag, waterfield sleeve, cessa (? sp) (cessina?), brentabven mobility 1 and mobility 2, targus, north face bag, as well as several others I can't recall the name of. ended up going with the mobility 2 by brenthaven, but rt was too stiff, and didnt carry well, so I exchanged it for the mobility 1, which is perfect. lightweight (featherweight in fact), and carries pb + couple few hardback library books and notebook. super well designed, and light and strong. didnt ever get to seee the booq. very happy with this baG. it was a long process finding the right bag,and i think i made the perfect choice. with just the pb alone, you barely realize you are carrying anything. often i found the bags themselves approach the weight of the machine. the weight diff between the mobility 1 and 2 is indeed noticeable, and it is quite minor actually.

just my opinion

-t

JasonBourne
Mar 21, 2003, 01:52 AM

Originally posted by penmanila:
i'm quite happy with the $39 powersleeve12 from booqbag--perfect fit, since it was especially designed for the albook and not the ibook. minor quibbles are that the pocket in the back is a bit tight and the strap is rudimentary (i just snipped it off), but very strongly built, otherwise, and reasonably priced. unfortunately, i think booq is out of them for a while.
Since your from Philippines. Is there an apple store in Manila. By the way where did you buy your bag

rosencrantz1114
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 21, 2003, 12:14 PM

Brenthaven. Tumi is the best in the world, but they START at like 300 bucks. Brenthaven is the best bag for the rest of us.
"The sun shone, having no alternative, on the nothing new..." -Beckett

ratchetcat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 21, 2003, 01:27 PM

I got a 12" Waterfield bag for mine -- incredibly useful bag, easy to carry, tough, and it looks nice.

The 12" PB is as snug as a bug in that bag.

Malaclypse
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 21, 2003, 01:41 PM

Originally posted by tomb:
ive done quite a bit of research trying to find the perfect bag for my 12 inch. something light and compfy to carry around and durrable enough to protect this little gem when i throw the bag into my bike basket and cruise around the pockmarked streets of nyc. checked out the waterfield, acme, timbuk2, manhattan portage, ems sleeve, tumi sleeve and bag, waterfield sleeve, cessa (? sp) (cessina?), brentabven mobility 1 and mobility 2, targus, north face bag, as well as several others I can't recall the name of. ended up going with the mobility 2 by brenthaven, but rt was too stiff, and didnt carry well, so I exchanged it for the mobility 1, which is perfect. lightweight (featherweight in fact), and carries pb + couple few hardback library books and notebook. super well designed, and light and strong. didnt ever get to seee the booq. very happy with this baG. it was a long process finding the right bag,and i think i made the perfect choice. with just the pb alone, you barely realize you are carrying anything. often i found the bags themselves approach the weight of the machine. the weight diff between the mobility 1 and 2 is indeed noticeable, and it is quite minor actually.

just my opinion

-t
I go this bag also. It is just what I was looking for, a small lightweight bag. I can carry my 12", my pda and a book or 2 and not feel weighed down.

Forum Links
Forum Rules