Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Another switcher - iBook questions

Another switcher - iBook questions
Thread Tools
oasplund
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Sweden
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 5, 2004, 04:38 AM
 
Hi guys!

Finally I too made the switch. Just ordered my iBook from the Apple Store. Everything feels really great so far, but I thought I'd ask you guys a few question anyway. I got the iBook G4 12" 800mhz with AE, Bluetooth, 60 gig HD, and 256 mb RAM. I'm thinking about getting more RAM from the local store. Is aditional RAM really easy to install? I tried to search for it but didn't find anything, but I'm assuming it ain't that hard.

Is there anything else I should know that makes my switch from PC to Mac easier? I'll mainly use my iBook in school, writing a few papers, surfing the web, checking email aso.

Is it a good idea to reinstall OS X when the iBook arrives to get rid of language packs aso that takes up alot of space (I've heard alot about this)? What steps do you guys take when you get a new Mac?

Sorry for all the confusing questions, I'm just really excited and soo happy!

Cheers!
oasplund
     
discotronic
Mac Elite
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Richmond,Va
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 5, 2004, 10:18 AM
 
It is definately cheaper to get the memory from somewhere besides Apple. Some online sellers might be the best way to go. Crucial is always a good place to go. Here is a link to instructions on how to upgrade the RAM.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=26277

As far as reinstalling OSX I always do. That way I can only install what I want installed. Have fun
     
oasplund  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Sweden
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 5, 2004, 10:28 AM
 
Originally posted by discotronic:
It is definately cheaper to get the memory from somewhere besides Apple. Some online sellers might be the best way to go. Crucial is always a good place to go. Here is a link to instructions on how to upgrade the RAM.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=26277

As far as reinstalling OSX I always do. That way I can only install what I want installed. Have fun
Thanks! Yeah, I already got myself a 512 mb stick from an online store, alot cheaper that way.

Ok, thanks for the tip, I will reinstall then.

Sigh, now I just have to figure out what to do til my iBook arrives...
     
alien
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Trondhjem, Norway
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 5, 2004, 03:08 PM
 
The language packs typically takes up ~30-40 MBs each, and there are about 15 of them.

There are also a few printer drivers that you'll most likely won't use, these take a few hundred MBs. You can install packages if you decide you need them later on.

There are some third-party apps that are pre-installed, if you reinstall OS X, you'll probably have to install them separately from another CD/DVD.

You can find instructions for user-installable parts for you iBook at this page.

Get a high-quality screwdriver, the screws can sit pretty tight. #0 may not be small enough, I've used a (hi-quality German!) #000 with success. Also, be careful when flipping the keyboard open and putting it back afterwards, else there might be too much pressure on some of the keycaps and they can snap off, or worse something can brake.
     
oasplund  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Sweden
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 5, 2004, 03:43 PM
 
Originally posted by alien:
The language packs typically takes up ~30-40 MBs each, and there are about 15 of them.

There are also a few printer drivers that you'll most likely won't use, these take a few hundred MBs. You can install packages if you decide you need them later on.

There are some third-party apps that are pre-installed, if you reinstall OS X, you'll probably have to install them separately from another CD/DVD.

You can find instructions for user-installable parts for you iBook at this page.

Get a high-quality screwdriver, the screws can sit pretty tight. #0 may not be small enough, I've used a (hi-quality German!) #000 with success. Also, be careful when flipping the keyboard open and putting it back afterwards, else there might be too much pressure on some of the keycaps and they can snap off, or worse something can brake.
Okay, thanks alot for the help! The info from Apple seems pretty straight forward, hope I won't break anything.

BTW are those third party programs of any "value"?

Thanks!
     
sniffer
Professional Poster
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Norway (I eat whales)
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 6, 2004, 03:36 AM
 
http://www.apple.com/se/ibook/specs.html
"I alla modeller ingår Mac OS X 10.3 Panther, Mail, Safari, iChat AV, Sherlock, Adressbok, QuickTime, iLife (iTunes, iPhoto och iMovie), iSync, iCal, DVD-spelare, AppleWorks, Mac OS X Chess, Classic-miljön, Microsoft Internet Explorer, Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 4, Deimos Rising och Apple Hardware Test."

I think alien mean is that the OS X install CD does not contain all these things and you'll probably have to use a program called "pacifist" to restore them from the separated restore CD(s). Not a big issue really.
The software package is quite nice. All the iApps especially. It's a nice welcome gift for new swichers.

Sniffer gone old-school sig
     
Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Arizona
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 6, 2004, 04:53 AM
 
Congratulations on the iBook!

It is amazing how many people have used the iBook as their means of switching since it was introduced.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er
     
oasplund  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Sweden
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 6, 2004, 08:07 AM
 
Originally posted by sniffer:
http://www.apple.com/se/ibook/specs.html
"I alla modeller ingår Mac OS X 10.3 Panther, Mail, Safari, iChat AV, Sherlock, Adressbok, QuickTime, iLife (iTunes, iPhoto och iMovie), iSync, iCal, DVD-spelare, AppleWorks, Mac OS X Chess, Classic-miljön, Microsoft Internet Explorer, Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 4, Deimos Rising och Apple Hardware Test."

I think alien mean is that the OS X install CD does not contain all these things and you'll probably have to use a program called "pacifist" to restore them from the separated restore CD(s). Not a big issue really.
The software package is quite nice. All the iApps especially. It's a nice welcome gift for new swichers.
Alright, well, as long as all the apps are restorable I'm not worried. BTW should I partition the HD when I'm reinstalling? I.e. setting up a smaller partition for the system itself and then a larger one for all the documents and files? So you can reinstall later on without having to backup your data. Or is that just a bad legacy from the windows world?

I assume iLife 04 is included in the new iBooks?

Thanks for all the help and the warm welcome, I appreciate it!
     
sniffer
Professional Poster
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Norway (I eat whales)
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 6, 2004, 08:49 AM
 
Originally posted by oasplund:
Alright, well, as long as all the apps are restorable I'm not worried. BTW should I partition the HD when I'm reinstalling? I.e. setting up a smaller partition for the system itself and then a larger one for all the documents and files? So you can reinstall later on without having to backup your data. Or is that just a bad legacy from the windows world?

I assume iLife 04 is included in the new iBooks?

Thanks for all the help and the warm welcome, I appreciate it!
About the backup/partition question, it depends if you have any alternative ways of backing up your files, like e.g. a server, firewire disks, dvd.. etc..
If not it can be handy with an extra partition for the extra data, but do not overdo it as it's usually a waste of space in my experience. Besides OS X needs the extra playground it gets in order to automatically keep the partition it runs on fluid and fragmented. Personally I have a 10 gig partition for my mp3s and classic (fallback system, nothing more), but otherwise OS X is very solid, so you should never have to worry about that 6 months reformat schedule that most windows users are into. In my experience OS X have become so stable with Panther that I usually find my self question the hardware if I hear of a system that fails. But in general, do backup of your documents at least. No system is to safe.

I noticed that Garageband isn't on the list of featured software on the iBook tech page. I find that odd as Steve said that iLife 04 was shipping with new machines. Perhaps someone else here can verify the status?

Sniffer gone old-school sig
     
dowNNshift
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Nov 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 6, 2004, 05:52 PM
 
Just to clear the air for everyone about iLife '04 being pre-installed on shipping Macs:

I received my iBook last week (straight from the factory) and it did NOT have iLife '04 on it.

Long story short; after discovering this I quickly called AppleCare and inquired to why it was not installed. (After waiting 25 min on hold) The answer was that Macs built after Jan 8th had the software installed on them, however since my Mac was built on Jan 4th it didn't make the cut. Grrrr.. Half my whole reason for buying this Mac was FOR iLife '04. I got stonewalled and referred to the up-to-date program. $21 dollars and 50 cents later the iLife CD and DVD discs showed up in my mail box...

yep, I envy yall who've got it pre-installed...
     
discotronic
Mac Elite
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Richmond,Va
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 6, 2004, 10:25 PM
 
I just ordered one of the "new previous generation" G3 iBooks. It came with iLife which includes GarageBand. It wasn't installed but the disks where included. Sounds like you should get your money back. Especially when I bought a G3 which was definately made well before Jan 8th.

Doesn't that fall under false advertisement?
     
dowNNshift
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Nov 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 7, 2004, 01:48 AM
 
No kidding....

     
sniffer
Professional Poster
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Norway (I eat whales)
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 7, 2004, 05:42 AM
 
The keynote 04 wasn't it on the 6th? I believe Steve said that iLife04 was shipping with new Macs from that day or something (perhaps it was the 8th?). If you ordered your Mac at the 4th than it can't count as false advertisement. It's just bad luck. Just my humble opinion of course.

Sniffer gone old-school sig
     
jeepandmacfan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Wisconsin
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 7, 2004, 09:48 AM
 
Originally posted by dowNNshift:
Just to clear the air for everyone about iLife '04 being pre-installed on shipping Macs:

I received my iBook last week (straight from the factory) and it did NOT have iLife '04 on it.

Long story short; after discovering this I quickly called AppleCare and inquired to why it was not installed. (After waiting 25 min on hold) The answer was that Macs built after Jan 8th had the software installed on them, however since my Mac was built on Jan 4th it didn't make the cut. Grrrr.. Half my whole reason for buying this Mac was FOR iLife '04. I got stonewalled and referred to the up-to-date program. $21 dollars and 50 cents later the iLife CD and DVD discs showed up in my mail box...

yep, I envy yall who've got it pre-installed...
Did you get Garageband to work on an iBook? I was under the impression that Garageband required a Superdrive to allow you to use/install it. (And I am also under the impression that you can't get an iBook with a Superdrive)
This side of the blackest meadows
I make my winter dwelling
And crush my bones
     
discotronic
Mac Elite
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Richmond,Va
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 7, 2004, 10:48 AM
 
Originally posted by jeepandmacfan:
Did you get Garageband to work on an iBook? I was under the impression that Garageband required a Superdrive to allow you to use/install it. (And I am also under the impression that you can't get an iBook with a Superdrive)
It will work as long as you have a least a combo drive.
     
discotronic
Mac Elite
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Richmond,Va
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 7, 2004, 10:51 AM
 
Originally posted by sniffer:
The keynote 04 wasn't it on the 6th? I believe Steve said that iLife04 was shipping with new Macs from that day or something (perhaps it was the 8th?). If you ordered your Mac at the 4th than it can't count as false advertisement. It's just bad luck. Just my humble opinion of course.
He said that his was built on Jan 4, not bought on Jan 4. If that's the case he shouldn't have to pay extra for it.
     
dowNNshift
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Nov 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 7, 2004, 11:05 AM
 
That's correct, I ordered my iBook Jan 27th...delivered it shortly there after. According to my calendar, that's way after the keynote.

I just wanted to let every else know about AppleCare's unwillingness to comp me the iLife '04 software.

Buyer beware!
     
sniffer
Professional Poster
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Norway (I eat whales)
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 7, 2004, 11:30 AM
 
Originally posted by dowNNshift:
That's correct, I ordered my iBook Jan 27th...delivered it shortly there after. According to my calendar, that's way after the keynote.
Okey that's a bit different than my first assumption. Sorry about that.

It doesn't state that you get ilife04 even now on the iBook page, but it does still not sound right if some get it but others don't.

Sniffer gone old-school sig
     
   
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:53 PM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,