Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > InDesign from Quark... How Long Did It Take You?

InDesign from Quark... How Long Did It Take You?
tpicco
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 16, 2004, 12:28 PM

I'm really good in Quark 4.4...

I have to learn InDesign rudiments in two days to do a freelance job...

Do you think it's possible?
I bought InDesign for Quark Xpress users yesterday...

How long was your learning curve?

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 16, 2004, 08:03 PM

The learning curve is surprisingly short. Especially if you know other Adobe apps (Photoshop/Illustrator). Knowing Quark really well, along with knowing other Adobe apps makes switching to InDesign a breeze. I would say, depending on the complexity of your freelance job, you should have little to no troubles switching over.

I've been using InDesign for a couple years now, and I'm still learning new things all the time. But I was able to do all of my work, and ditch Quark almost right out of the box. It maybe took me a couple weeks to work out my Quark habits, but after that it was easy.

And I believe you can set InDesign to use Quark's keyboard shortcuts to make the transition easier.

Good luck!

siliconwarrior
Mar 17, 2004, 05:36 PM

Feels like I've always been using InDesign...
Silicon-Age Warrior

graphicpush
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 17, 2004, 07:02 PM

If you know Quark, then you understand the fundamentals of page layout. If you know Illustrator or Photoshop, then you understand the way Adobe designs its programs.

For me, jumping into ID2, it took about two hours, no exaggeration. If you're in a tight time crunch, you can set the shortcuts to Quark defaults, but I would suggest eventually changing them back because I find ID's much more intuitive.
Kevin
www.graphicpush.com

tpicco  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 17, 2004, 09:15 PM

well so far so good... it doesn't seem particularly hard... I'm not very fluent in Illustrator or Photoshop, but I'm pretty sure I can get this job produced without too much grief... nothing like pressure to shorten the learning curve

farnsy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 23, 2004, 07:28 AM

We are in the process of convertin our artroom over to Indesign CS and I've been selected as the guinea pig to do the testing in converting old quark files and checking everything still works.

Having worked with ill & photoshop it hasn't taken long at all to get the hang of it.

One problem i have found is that it doesn't support Illustrator files saved with a mac preview. I have to open them and convert to tiff previews.

Forum Links
Forum Rules