Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Xbox sales to overtake PS2 in April

Xbox sales to overtake PS2 in April
Thread Tools
starman
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Union County, NJ
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 27, 2004, 11:15 PM
 
Not bad for a machine that everyone laughed at. I guess MS is laughing back.

Yes, I'm VERY aware of the PS2's market saturation, but the point still remains that the Xbox stayed alive through all this.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...ion_pricing_dc

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr
     
Link
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Hyrule
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 27, 2004, 11:18 PM
 
You would play a game written by nomads provided it was in high definition and had 5.1 surround sound.

Actually let me turn around and put a business wise face on this. Sony and Nintendo have, for the long run, HAD to make profit on their systems. Even at $99 the gamecube makes profit.

On the other hand, MS has been loosing money for ages, and the fact that they're selling the damn things for 1/3 of what they cost to make.. who the hell is paying for this? Oh yeah... the shareholders.

Basically MS is trying to win a market over by loosing a royal crapload of money. I thought antritrust laws were against this sort of stuff, and yet here you are, smart enough to know how businesses work, and you're CHEERING THEM ON?
Aloha
     
starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Union County, NJ
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 27, 2004, 11:20 PM
 
Jealous much?

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr
     
mixin visuals
Mac Elite
Join Date: Apr 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 27, 2004, 11:20 PM
 
april...
Technology, Computing & Creativity - www.clubmedia.com

Overflowing with Design Links - www.mixinvisuals.com

VW Sites.com - Links to the Volkswagen World - www.vwsites.com
     
Link
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Hyrule
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 27, 2004, 11:21 PM
 
Read the edit, more info added starman
Aloha
     
starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Union County, NJ
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 27, 2004, 11:30 PM
 
Originally posted by Link:
You would play a game written by nomads provided it was in high definition and had 5.1 surround sound.

Actually let me turn around and put a business wise face on this. Sony and Nintendo have, for the long run, HAD to make profit on their systems. Even at $99 the gamecube makes profit.

On the other hand, MS has been loosing money for ages, and the fact that they're selling the damn things for 1/3 of what they cost to make.. who the hell is paying for this? Oh yeah... the shareholders.

Basically MS is trying to win a market over by loosing a royal crapload of money. I thought antritrust laws were against this sort of stuff, and yet here you are, smart enough to know how businesses work, and you're CHEERING THEM ON?
It's all about the games.

I'd rather play Halo than Mario Kart XXXIV

Then again, I'd rather play Zelda than Madden CCCLIX.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr
     
Agasthya
Professional Poster
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Seattle, WA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 27, 2004, 11:35 PM
 
Isn't the only reason this is happening is because MS lowered the price of the Xbox and Sony didn't counter?
( Last edited by Agasthya; Apr 27, 2004 at 11:47 PM. )
     
starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Union County, NJ
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 27, 2004, 11:36 PM
 
Originally posted by Agasthya:
Isn't the only reason this is happening is because MS lowered the price of the Xbox and Sony didn't counter?
Partially.

PS2s have saturated the market. The numbers are going to slow at some point.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr
     
Agasthya
Professional Poster
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Seattle, WA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 27, 2004, 11:48 PM
 
Originally posted by starman:
Partially.

PS2s have saturated the market. The numbers are going to slow at some point.

Mike
So it was pretty much inevitable and its sad that it took them this long?
     
Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Staffs, UK
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 28, 2004, 02:58 AM
 
So what if MS is selling XBoxes at a loss ? That just means you're getting a mean piece of kit at a bargain price. I've had a PS2 for 2 years - in January I bought an XBox. Now, I'm as much a Microsoft basher as the next Apple guy, but you've got to admit that MS have got the XBox right.

I really is a steal for the money. It's a piece of cake to get online (ethernet port built in), no more jostling saved games around on memory cards - it's got a built in hard drive. And Halo rocks.

..and Halo 2 is just around the corner.

It's kind of a strange feeling to be a proponent for a MS system, and be the underdog ! Sony totally dominate, but I do get the feeling that people are waking up to the XBox. Certainly, if you are thinking of buying a console right now, I'd say go for the XBox over either of the others.
     
Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: England | San Francisco
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 28, 2004, 03:51 AM
 
XBox still sucks
we don't have time to stop for gas
     
Beewee
Mac Elite
Join Date: May 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 28, 2004, 01:05 PM
 
Originally posted by starman:
Not bad for a machine that everyone laughed at. I guess MS is laughing back.

Yes, I'm VERY aware of the PS2's market saturation, but the point still remains that the Xbox stayed alive through all this.

Mike
Of course it stayed alive. When you have a company that has a $30 billion or more in reserve and can keep proping up a failing product it will eventually be bought. Not to mention all of the video game developers that M$ bought to make games for their system.

In the console battle it was never a question of satisfying customers or tweaking the bugs out of their products it was all a question of who has the most money. And that is M$. I may actually buy one if it comes down in price. The Xbox is one of the easiest (if not THE easiest) system to Mod. Of course that has no bearing on my decision...
     
wvx
Forum Regular
Join Date: Feb 2002
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 28, 2004, 01:20 PM
 
My little brother and I both have GameCubes while my older brother has a PS2 and I've been eyeing an X-Box for a while for Halo and GTA3... my little brother just got one. The memory cards suck so that's a very nice feature of the XBox and I like the newer/smaller XBox controllers better than PS2 controllers. We'll see... $150 for XBox and I've seen it for that with 3 good games including Halo! Jeez, how can you beat it?
     
starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Union County, NJ
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 28, 2004, 01:23 PM
 
Just because a company has a lot of money doesn't mean that their product is going to survive. The MS tablet didn't. Nintendo's GameCube isn't doing well.

Why can't you just accept the fact that the Xbox is *gasp* a good machine?

Such denial.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr
     
Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: 46 & 2
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 28, 2004, 01:34 PM
 
Originally posted by starman:
Just because a company has a lot of money doesn't mean that their product is going to survive. The MS tablet didn't. Nintendo's GameCube isn't doing well.

Why can't you just accept the fact that the Xbox is *gasp* a good machine?

Such denial.

Mike
Precisely. Also, look at ANY game written for all 3 platforms and see which one plays, looks, and even sounds better. 99% of the time, the xbox wins. It's just superior hardware.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine
     
Michel_80
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Apr 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 28, 2004, 01:35 PM
 
Got an Xbox with a 120GB drive in it. Great machine for playing DivX and Mp3's. Nice games too although not too much into gaming on any platform.
     
itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Cupertino, CA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 28, 2004, 01:37 PM
 
Originally posted by starman:
Just because a company has a lot of money doesn't mean that their product is going to survive. The MS tablet didn't. Nintendo's GameCube isn't doing well.

Why can't you just accept the fact that the Xbox is *gasp* a good machine?

Such denial.

Mike
I'm not a fan of some of Microsoft's business methods with regards to the Xbox, but they have steadily improved the quality of the software and the overall value of the console platform. They'll be ready for a big battle with Xbox 2. I already think Xbox has turned into a better platform than PS2 -- it has better online play (from a consumer POV) and non-exclusive games (which are most games nowadays) almost always look better on the Xbox.
     
voodoo
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Salamanca, España
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 28, 2004, 01:41 PM
 
All games look like crap on a TV screen.

Except C64 games.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.
     
starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Union County, NJ
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 28, 2004, 01:42 PM
 
Originally posted by MacNStein:
Precisely. Also, look at ANY game written for all 3 platforms and see which one plays, looks, and even sounds better. 99% of the time, the xbox wins. It's just superior hardware.
Well, you got built-in HDTV and Dolby Digital 5.1. How can it NOT look the best?

Well, I should really state that it DOES depend on the developers. Need for Speed (I think) looked awful on the Xbox, but better on the other platforms because the developers handed the port off to some lame company that rushed it.

However, for the most part, the Xbox will always look the best. If a game is out for all 3 platforms, I always get the Xbox version. The only exception was Soul Calibur II for Link (and either way, it was in 480p on the GC).

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr
     
starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Union County, NJ
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 28, 2004, 01:43 PM
 
Originally posted by voodoo:
All games look like crap on a TV screen.

Except C64 games.
*SMACK*

Atari 800, bitch

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr
     
voodoo
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Salamanca, España
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 28, 2004, 01:49 PM
 


This would definitely work on a TV screen.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.
     
Immortal K-Mart Employee
Mac Elite
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Folding customer returned size 52 underwear.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 28, 2004, 02:02 PM
 
That is interesting news. The XBOX has the best hardware INSIDES but they don't have as many good games as PS2 does. For me at least.

XBox live is also very very good.

{v2.3 Now Jesus free}
Religions are like farts: yours is good, the others always stink.
     
fireside
Professional Poster
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Floreeda
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 28, 2004, 02:37 PM
 
Originally posted by starman:
Nintendo's GameCube isn't doing well.
says who?
     
Link
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Hyrule
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 28, 2004, 04:23 PM
 
Yeah let's brag about how great and powerful a 733mhz celeron is for HDTV gaming won't we?
Aloha
     
Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: 46 & 2
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 28, 2004, 04:45 PM
 
Originally posted by Link:
Yeah let's brag about how great and powerful a 733mhz celeron is for HDTV gaming won't we?
well, it does beat the hell out of whatever is in the PS2.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine
     
starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Union County, NJ
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 28, 2004, 05:43 PM
 
Originally posted by MacNStein:
well, it does beat the hell out of whatever is in the PS2.
Or the GC for that matter.

I hate fanboys.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr
     
Immortal K-Mart Employee
Mac Elite
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Folding customer returned size 52 underwear.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 28, 2004, 05:45 PM
 
My Xbox looks awesome in HD.

{v2.3 Now Jesus free}
Religions are like farts: yours is good, the others always stink.
     
starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Union County, NJ
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 28, 2004, 05:53 PM
 
Originally posted by Immortal K-Mart Employee:
My Xbox looks awesome in HD.
Too bad Link will never know the joys of HDTV gaming.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr
     
Immortal K-Mart Employee
Mac Elite
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Folding customer returned size 52 underwear.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 28, 2004, 05:59 PM
 
Originally posted by starman:
Too bad Link will never know the joys of HDTV gaming.

Mike
The GameCube does have a HD connector that is IMPOSSIBLE to find in stores. Although, I don't think Santa will buy him an HD set for Christmas.

{v2.3 Now Jesus free}
Religions are like farts: yours is good, the others always stink.
     
Allenzi35
Junior Member
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Boca Raton, Florida
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 28, 2004, 06:09 PM
 
Didn't they drop the HD from the new Xbox when they dropped the price?
     
starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Union County, NJ
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 28, 2004, 06:13 PM
 
Originally posted by Allenzi35:
Didn't they drop the HD from the new Xbox when they dropped the price?
Uh, no

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr
     
Immortal K-Mart Employee
Mac Elite
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Folding customer returned size 52 underwear.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 28, 2004, 06:37 PM
 
Originally posted by Allenzi35:
Didn't they drop the HD from the new Xbox when they dropped the price?
That was a RUMOR. We don't know 100% for sure though yet if it is true.

{v2.3 Now Jesus free}
Religions are like farts: yours is good, the others always stink.
     
Beewee
Mac Elite
Join Date: May 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 28, 2004, 07:02 PM
 
Originally posted by starman:
Just because a company has a lot of money doesn't mean that their product is going to survive. The MS tablet didn't. Nintendo's GameCube isn't doing well.

Why can't you just accept the fact that the Xbox is *gasp* a good machine?

Such denial.

Mike
That depends on what your definition of a "good machine" is.
Speaking on just the technical side the Xbox does have the upper hand.
However, that isn't the only thing I look at when buying a system.
What does it have to offer? It has Halo but I have it for my comp so that doesn't win. The controller is one of the most poorly designed things I have ever had the displeasure of using. I am interested in Ninja Gaiden but one game isn't enough to make me shell out $150 for a system and another $50 for the game.

Xbox might could rise to the top of the gaming heap if they redesigned the controller and had a better variety of games. As it stands now Nintendo has all the mascots, Sony has all the RPGs and Xbox has mostly sports and racing games it does have Splinter Cell and Prince of Persia. But I bought both games for my Gamecube and a boost in graphics isn't enough to make me trade my GCN controller for a black rock with giant skittles for buttons. In my opinion the Xbox is an "ok" machine. It would have some potential if they could get into other genres of games.
     
BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Chicago
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 28, 2004, 07:03 PM
 
The gaming industry has been shrinking for about a year now. Sony and Nintendo's sales are way down. Microsoft's are up, but not enough to make up for the other two.

Here's why:

Just about every game released these days is a sequel, spinoff, remake, or knockoff of an existing game. It costs less to market such games, but it also means that you're only selling to existing customers. Over time, existing customers lose interest and since the industry hasn't done much to bring in new customers, it's shrinking. (Of course, it doesn't help when millions of dollars are spent promoting Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time and the game still bombs.)

Microsoft, despite efforts early in the history of the Xbox to alienate developers of children's games, understands this; SCEA and Nintendo do not. Hence more original Xbox games and Microsoft giving them more publicity than Nintendo or SCEA would have.

Interestingly, SCEE and SCEJ, unlike SCEA, also understand this. There's a reason why a lot of recent PS2 games have been released in Japan and Europe but not in North America.
inscrutable impenetrable impregnable inconceivable
     
BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Chicago
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 28, 2004, 07:06 PM
 
Originally posted by Immortal K-Mart Employee:
That was a RUMOR. We don't know 100% for sure though yet if it is true.
The rumor was that Microsoft was going to drop the hard disk drive from the Xbox Next (or whatever it decides to call the Xbox's successor). Removing the hard drive from the current Xbox is not an option.
inscrutable impenetrable impregnable inconceivable
     
OH-N'omac
Registered User
Join Date: Apr 2002
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 28, 2004, 07:48 PM
 
I guess having a cohesive online strategy is worth something after all....that and having anti-MS zealots buying the product just to hack it or pirate on it just to see MS take the loss on the inititial sale.

I heard the HD was going too, but due to piracy concerns...we'll have to wait and see how that goes.
     
starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Union County, NJ
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 28, 2004, 07:56 PM
 
Originally posted by Beewee:
That depends on what your definition of a "good machine" is.
Speaking on just the technical side the Xbox does have the upper hand.
However, that isn't the only thing I look at when buying a system.
What does it have to offer? It has Halo but I have it for my comp so that doesn't win. The controller is one of the most poorly designed things I have ever had the displeasure of using. I am interested in Ninja Gaiden but one game isn't enough to make me shell out $150 for a system and another $50 for the game.

Xbox might could rise to the top of the gaming heap if they redesigned the controller and had a better variety of games. As it stands now Nintendo has all the mascots, Sony has all the RPGs and Xbox has mostly sports and racing games it does have Splinter Cell and Prince of Persia. But I bought both games for my Gamecube and a boost in graphics isn't enough to make me trade my GCN controller for a black rock with giant skittles for buttons. In my opinion the Xbox is an "ok" machine. It would have some potential if they could get into other genres of games.
You're talking like you haven't been to a videogame store or read a magazine since late 2002. Seriously. 'The' controller. WHICH ONE?

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr
     
jeepandmacfan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Wisconsin
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 28, 2004, 08:02 PM
 
Quality doesn't matter, price doesn't matter, it's who you support that matters. I don't care what you buy as long as you don't help support the future dictator of the world, Bill Gates. (or is it current dictator?)
This side of the blackest meadows
I make my winter dwelling
And crush my bones
     
starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Union County, NJ
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 28, 2004, 08:07 PM
 
Originally posted by jeepandmacfan:
Quality doesn't matter, price doesn't matter, it's who you support that matters. I don't care what you buy as long as you don't help support the future dictator of the world, Bill Gates. (or is it current dictator?)
It's that kind of ignorant attitude that I friggin' despise. Wallow in your ignorance.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr
     
Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Hanging on the wall at Jabba's Palace
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 28, 2004, 08:57 PM
 
Originally posted by starman:
You're talking like you haven't been to a videogame store or read a magazine since late 2002. Seriously. 'The' controller. WHICH ONE?

Mike
I like some of the xBox controller but the main 4 buttons are just awful. They are bevelled outwards, all the same shape and hurt your fingers. I like the size and trigger buttons though.

The first xBox controller was a joke.

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"
     
Link
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Hyrule
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 28, 2004, 09:26 PM
 
All the xbox controllers are awkward in one way or another. The gamecube ones are both really nice (normal and wavebird) but look weird.

OTOH, the gamecube was designed for functionality while the xbox was made to be an 8lb brick for HDTV freaks that will sell their wife for an HDTV.
Aloha
     
splatq
Forum Regular
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: MA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 28, 2004, 09:36 PM
 
When was the XBox released?

When was the Gamecube released?

When was the PS2 released?

The PS2 is an ancient system (technologically speaking) compared to the XBox. If we were comparing sales of the XBox 2 to the PS3, then this might be news. Otherwise this is essentially comparing "new and hot" to "old and busted."
     
BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Chicago
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 28, 2004, 09:51 PM
 
Hardly. If that were the case, the 'Cube would also be outselling the PS2. It ain't. The Xbox ain't exactly new and hot either.

Xbox games tend to look and sound better than their PS2 (and 'Cube) counterparts, but not enough for typical consumers to care unless they own digital television sets and surround sound systems.

These things are still too expensive for most of us and will probably remain that way for another five years. (Besides, how many people buy S-Video, let alone Component Video and Optical Audio cables for their game consoles?)

The recent price cut helped the Xbox, but its marketshare had been on the rise for some time anyway.

It's all about the games. Microsoft is seemingly the only console maker in this part of the world that still understands 1.) what gamers want and 2.) how to get new consumers into the market.
inscrutable impenetrable impregnable inconceivable
     
Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Hanging on the wall at Jabba's Palace
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 28, 2004, 10:04 PM
 
Originally posted by Link:
All the xbox controllers are awkward in one way or another. The gamecube ones are both really nice (normal and wavebird) but look weird.

OTOH, the gamecube was designed for functionality while the xbox was made to be an 8lb brick for HDTV freaks that will sell their wife for an HDTV.
1) The gameCube controllers are more awkward then the xbox for me as I don't have a 12 year old girls hands.

2) The Xbox has the best hardware. I don't have or want a wife to sell for HDTV. The GameCube also has HD. The small size of the gamecube is pointless as I have yet to see anyone to carry the damn thing around.

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"
     
Link
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Hyrule
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 28, 2004, 10:16 PM
 
Originally posted by Socially Awkward Solo:
1) The gameCube controllers are more awkward then the xbox for me as I don't have a 12 year old girls hands.


Originally posted by BasketofPuppies:
It's all about the games. Microsoft is seemingly the only console maker in this part of the world that still understands 1.) what gamers want and 2.) how to get new consumers into the market.
Gamers being people that power up their game console every now and then to have a bit of fun or to mash buttons like a madman bitching and moaning about the lag on the xbox live server and wanting to blow up their fellow players?
Aloha
     
Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Hanging on the wall at Jabba's Palace
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 28, 2004, 10:26 PM
 
Originally posted by Link:
Gamers being people that power up their game console every now and then to have a bit of fun or to mash buttons like a madman bitching and moaning about the lag on the xbox live server and wanting to blow up their fellow players?
I'll take a lag over NO ONLINE STRATEGY AT ALL

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"
     
hayesk
Guest
Status:
Reply With Quote
Apr 28, 2004, 10:57 PM
 
Originally posted by starman:
You're talking like you haven't been to a videogame store or read a magazine since late 2002. Seriously. 'The' controller. WHICH ONE?
They both suck. Whenever I say the XBox controllers suck, they always come back with "Yeah, but the S controller is good, you must have only used the original." Nope, they both suck. The buttons are all the same shape, the shape of the controller is awkward, and it just isn't as comfortable as a GC controller (or a PS2 for that matter).

I also find it funny how before the S controller came out, all of the XBox fanatics would say "there's nothing wrong with the XBox controller, you must have small hands." But ever since the S Controller came out they say "yeah, it sucked, but look, we have the S Controller now." Uh-huh.
     
starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Union County, NJ
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 28, 2004, 11:11 PM
 
Originally posted by hayesk:
They both suck. Whenever I say the XBox controllers suck, they always come back with "Yeah, but the S controller is good, you must have only used the original." Nope, they both suck. The buttons are all the same shape, the shape of the controller is awkward, and it just isn't as comfortable as a GC controller (or a PS2 for that matter).

I also find it funny how before the S controller came out, all of the XBox fanatics would say "there's nothing wrong with the XBox controller, you must have small hands." But ever since the S Controller came out they say "yeah, it sucked, but look, we have the S Controller now." Uh-huh.
Certain games I find myself using the original controller for. SSX Tricky for one. Other games like Baldur's Gate I use the S controller.

I have bigger hands so I guess I never really had a problem with the original controller.

The buttons are all the same shape
Like the PS2?

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr
     
Link
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Hyrule
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 29, 2004, 12:01 AM
 
Originally posted by hayesk:
They both suck. Whenever I say the XBox controllers suck, they always come back with "Yeah, but the S controller is good, you must have only used the original." Nope, they both suck. The buttons are all the same shape, the shape of the controller is awkward, and it just isn't as comfortable as a GC controller (or a PS2 for that matter).

I also find it funny how before the S controller came out, all of the XBox fanatics would say "there's nothing wrong with the XBox controller, you must have small hands." But ever since the S Controller came out they say "yeah, it sucked, but look, we have the S Controller now." Uh-huh.
True. The gamecbue controller fits my hands like a glove. Then again I like the pro mouse because it's small...

Meh must have small hands
Aloha
     
Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Hanging on the wall at Jabba's Palace
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Apr 29, 2004, 12:19 AM
 
Originally posted by starman:

Like the PS2?

Mike
Ya they also have the same problem, but at least they are not little mountains. Thos xbox ones hurt

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"
     
 
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:09 PM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,