Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Elgato EyeTV Wonder - Shipping?

Elgato EyeTV Wonder - Shipping?
Thread Tools
NDBounce
Senior User
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Webster, NY, USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 4, 2005, 01:54 PM
 
I was wondering if anyone who ordered an EyeTV Wonder from Elgato has received it yet? I ordered off their website during MacWorld, but I have yet to hear anything from them about my order. Then I went to their website and noticed they only have email contacts.

I am getting a little nervous. However, people here seem to have a reasonable respect for Elgato as a company...can someone advise me? Does anyone have a phone number for them?
     
bwood
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: May 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 4, 2005, 03:02 PM
 
I bought the same thing from another online store. If you select "buy" off the product page on the elgato website it gives a note explaining that it is shipping on February 18, 2005.
     
TankCdr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Where Ordered
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 4, 2005, 08:17 PM
 
I'm in the same boat. I e-mailed the company and they replied saying that they would not meet the original projected shipping date of 28 JAN. They now expect to begin shipping in the second week of FEB.
VJT

Primary Machine: Powerbook G4 15in/
1.5ghz/1gig RAM/80 GBHD/OS X Panther
     
slapdash
Junior Member
Join Date: Aug 2002
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 5, 2005, 08:46 PM
 
Originally posted by TankCdr:
I'm in the same boat. I e-mailed the company and they replied saying that they would not meet the original projected shipping date of 28 JAN. They now expect to begin shipping in the second week of FEB.
I emailed them a couple of days ago and was told that it may even be later than Feb 18th. I was also told that the launch of this product hinges on Apple releasing the next Mac OS update, and that the product will not be shipping until that update has been out. Not the answer I wanted to hear, I've decided to go with the Plextor ConvertX instead because frankly I just can't wait.

Edit - looks like the latency thing got my interest perked too high. I just pre-ordered it and have an estimated ship date of Feb 18th which I suspect will not happen. I'll stand tall this time around though, if it's delayed again I'm cancelling my order. I've put off buying an external box long enough. Please Elgato, please come through for us.
( Last edited by slapdash; Feb 5, 2005 at 11:42 PM. )
     
slapdash
Junior Member
Join Date: Aug 2002
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 17, 2005, 08:37 PM
 
Well, tomorrow is the ship date. If anyone gets notification of shipment please post it up here.
     
slapdash
Junior Member
Join Date: Aug 2002
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 18, 2005, 11:08 PM
 
Tomorrow has come and gone, anyone heard anything about this unit shipping or not? Please God don't let this be delayed!
     
bwood
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: May 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 18, 2005, 11:31 PM
 
I already cancled my order and went with the Plextor ConvertX PVR. They have a $30 mail in rebate and getting it from Buy.com will bring the price down to $161, not that big of a difference from the wonder.
     
slapdash
Junior Member
Join Date: Aug 2002
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 19, 2005, 03:22 AM
 
Originally posted by bwood:
I already cancled my order and went with the Plextor ConvertX PVR. They have a $30 mail in rebate and getting it from Buy.com will bring the price down to $161, not that big of a difference from the wonder.
That's what I almost bought, but I want the flexibility of running my GCN through it too which the Plextor can't do in real-time. We'll see though, if they don't deliver my order promptly and delay again I'm going to have to bite the bullet and go Plextor. I'm waiting to hear back from them now about shipping status, should have an email response by Monday sometime.
     
ddiokno
Mac Elite
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: The Valley of the Sun
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 21, 2005, 07:22 PM
 
Originally posted by slapdash:
Tomorrow has come and gone, anyone heard anything about this unit shipping or not? Please God don't let this be delayed!
Just went to the website and they have updated it to say that it is shipping on February 23rd... we'll know in 2 days...
     
slapdash
Junior Member
Join Date: Aug 2002
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 22, 2005, 02:32 AM
 
Aw man, just saw that myself. Fingers crossed they don't delay yet again. I can't wait to get my hands on this toy.
     
slapdash
Junior Member
Join Date: Aug 2002
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 24, 2005, 09:50 AM
 
The EyeTV Wonder USB 2 is definitely shipping folks, as of Wed Feb 23rd. I've received notice mine is on it's way today. For those of you who've been dragging your heels thinking it might never ship, now's the time to buy. They're finally out the door

Good luck to all who ordered, have fun with your new toys!
     
selowitch
Mac Elite
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Rockville, MD
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 24, 2005, 09:13 PM
 
Originally posted by slapdash:
That's what I almost bought, but I want the flexibility of running my GCN through it too which the Plextor can't do in real-time.
What's a GCN and what would you use in place of the Plextor?
     
slapdash
Junior Member
Join Date: Aug 2002
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 24, 2005, 09:31 PM
 
Originally posted by selowitch:
What's a GCN and what would you use in place of the Plextor?
Heya, GCN is the short name for the Nintendo GameCube. You'd think it would be NGC but it's not for some reason

Anyhow, the EyeTV Wonder 2 USB will let you run a GCN, PS2 or XBox with around a half second or better of lag between what is happening and what you see on the computer screen. Most boxes (like the Plextor) compress the video data before it sends it to your screen which leaves between 1 and 3 seconds (on average) between where the game is and what you're actually seeing, which makes gaming impossible. With the Elgato unit, you receive a clean digital stream to your Mac and the software compresses it, though you don't have to if you're not recording, and you get straight output on the screen. This results in next to no lag, yay!
     
selowitch
Mac Elite
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Rockville, MD
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 24, 2005, 11:42 PM
 
Originally posted by slapdash:
Heya, GCN is the short name for the Nintendo GameCube. You'd think it would be NGC but it's not for some reason

Anyhow, the EyeTV Wonder 2 USB will let you run a GCN, PS2 or XBox with around a half second or better of lag between what is happening and what you see on the computer screen. Most boxes (like the Plextor) compress the video data before it sends it to your screen which leaves between 1 and 3 seconds (on average) between where the game is and what you're actually seeing, which makes gaming impossible. With the Elgato unit, you receive a clean digital stream to your Mac and the software compresses it, though you don't have to if you're not recording, and you get straight output on the screen. This results in next to no lag, yay!
Cool. I have an Xbox, so that sounds handy. However, it looks like the EyeTV Wonder 2 USB isn't a DVR, unlike the ConnectX Plextor DVR which is only about $30 more. So which one should one choose?
     
slapdash
Junior Member
Join Date: Aug 2002
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 25, 2005, 01:02 AM
 
Originally posted by selowitch:
Cool. I have an Xbox, so that sounds handy. However, it looks like the EyeTV Wonder 2 USB isn't a DVR, unlike the ConnectX Plextor DVR which is only about $30 more. So which one should one choose?
No, it does act as a PVR. The difference is that on the ConnectX you have the encoding to MPG/whatever take place on the hardware itself, which is then watched/exported to your Mac using EyeTV's software. The Wonder 2 on the other hand lets you decide whether or not you want to record anything, and the software handles the encoding. Both run the EyeTV software however which is what you use to schedule your favorite TV shows and record, like TIVO. So they both do the same thing, just the Plextor handles the encoding for you (useful for older, slower Macs).

The only question to ask really is, do you want to use your Mac's processing power to handle the encoding or do you want an external box to do it for you? That, the price, and the gaming possibilities are the things to think about. For me the Wonder 2 is the winner without question because I have a fast Mac (new iMac G5) and I want to run my GCN through it
     
selowitch
Mac Elite
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Rockville, MD
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 25, 2005, 01:06 AM
 
Originally posted by slapdash:
The only question to ask really is, do you want to use your Mac's processing power to handle the encoding or do you want an external box to do it for you? That, the price, and the gaming possibilities are the things to think about. For me the Wonder 2 is the winner without question because I have a fast Mac (new iMac G5) and I want to run my GCN through it
My compliments. A very helpful analysis. I dunno, I have an iBook G4 1.2Ghz and a very old tower (G4 450Mhz AGP). Does that mean I should go for the Plextor?
     
slapdash
Junior Member
Join Date: Aug 2002
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 25, 2005, 02:19 AM
 
Originally posted by selowitch:
My compliments. A very helpful analysis. I dunno, I have an iBook G4 1.2Ghz and a very old tower (G4 450Mhz AGP). Does that mean I should go for the Plextor?
Thanks

First thing to check: do you have a USB 2 port (factory installed) on one of those machines? If you do great, but if you don't you won't be able to use either of these products. If that's the case you'll have to check out one of the Firewire solutions Elgato has out there.

Otherwise I'd have to say that unless you really want gaming I'd go with the Plextor, as much as I don't like saying that! According to Elgato the EyeTV software will encode at VCD quality on a single processor G4 system, not DVD quality, whereas the Plextor encodes for you and will do higher quality if you want it. The hard drive in an iBook is also dreadfully slow, so unless you've upgraded it to something faster you may have issues, I'm not sure. As the Plextor can compress the data down before it hits your Mac you will have less disk activity going on, which is a plus.

If I was you I'd check the USB 2 thing first, then probably buy the Plextor unless you really have your heart set on gaming.
     
selowitch
Mac Elite
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Rockville, MD
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 25, 2005, 09:50 AM
 
Originally posted by slapdash:
If I was you I'd check the USB 2 thing first, then probably buy the Plextor unless you really have your heart set on gaming.
I can live without the gaming aspect (after all, my television has done the job quite nicely). My iBook definitely has built-in USB 2, thankfully. I could also get a faster internal hard drive for the iBook. A 1.2GHz G4 processor won't set the world on fire, but perhaps it will be adequate. Mostly I just want to transfer my collection of VHS cassette to DVD --- that's the main objective. I may want to edit and spruce up my wedding video, too. That's about it.

Looks like the Plextor is the way to go, then.
     
slapdash
Junior Member
Join Date: Aug 2002
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 28, 2005, 04:23 PM
 
Well, my unit should have shipped last Thursday but I've not received any communication at all from the company about my order... I don't know if they shipped or not, and no-one's getting back to me to let me know.

Anyone have or hear anything positive yet?
     
slapdash
Junior Member
Join Date: Aug 2002
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Feb 28, 2005, 07:05 PM
 
Ignore my post above, I just received shipping notification. It's on it's way finally, late but definitely on it's way.

Yehaw
     
SSharon
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Teaneck, NJ
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 1, 2005, 03:05 AM
 
Originally posted by slapdash:
Ignore my post above, I just received shipping notification. It's on it's way finally, late but definitely on it's way.

Yehaw
please post some real world pictures of it when it comes in. and a review of course. I am still sitting on my old eyetv usb and want to know if I should upgrade. I am particularly curious to know if one has to decide each time they use it if they want it to keep tv in the buffer or just stream it. is there a significant delay if you are watching unbuffered and then hit pause? what speed computer are you using, etc.?

well thanks in advance, I hope it comes soon.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.
     
slapdash
Junior Member
Join Date: Aug 2002
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 1, 2005, 04:16 AM
 
Originally posted by SSharon:
please post some real world pictures of it when it comes in. and a review of course. I am still sitting on my old eyetv usb and want to know if I should upgrade. I am particularly curious to know if one has to decide each time they use it if they want it to keep tv in the buffer or just stream it. is there a significant delay if you are watching unbuffered and then hit pause? what speed computer are you using, etc.?

well thanks in advance, I hope it comes soon.
Sure no problem, I'll let ya'll know what it's like when it gets here, just give me a day or two to stress test it out a bit. I can tell you ahead of time tests will be on a brand new iMac G5 20" at 1.8GHz.

It's due for delivery on the 3rd, I'll touch base a few days after that at most with some feedback. Cheers
     
ddiokno
Mac Elite
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: The Valley of the Sun
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 2, 2005, 10:51 PM
 
Got my EyeTV USB Wonder yesterday. Picture quality is great. When using the record feature (the mac does the encoding), on my G4 DP 1.33, the load is about 40% on each processor, which isn't bad. Otherwise almost non-existent.
One weird thing... in order to install it, I had to enter and activation code... never had to do that for my old EyeTV USB....
     
ashtoash
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Dec 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 3, 2005, 12:48 AM
 
Activation Strange. Can you please post some screenshots now? Anyone wanna review it? I'd like to order it tomorrow and hopefully have it when I'm back in town on wednesday.

Also I assume it's exactly the same as the PC version but the Mac version includes EyeTV drivers and software. Would somebody care to send me the software so I can prove this? (Maybe it's the reason for the activation code) I can probably get time to purchase the windows version of it on Friday.

maybe the person who has one installed could check the system profiler and give me the details listed under USB for this device so I can compare it to windows version.

Thanks.
     
slapdash
Junior Member
Join Date: Aug 2002
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 3, 2005, 12:54 AM
 
I was told the activation code is required with the Plextor recorder too in order to use EyeTV's software. The same is true of the Wonder 2. I believe it's so that you are forced to buy the Mac branded one instead of the PC branded, based on the fact Elgato refuses to sell activation codes to Mac users who buy the PC hardware. Must have been part of a deal ATI and Elgato signed, much like Plextor and Elgato, to ensure and eyeball sales.
     
ashtoash
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Dec 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 3, 2005, 01:01 AM
 
Okay so I figure out a few things. You can dowload the latest EyeTV software from their website, it does ask for activation when installing the software application. The drivers for the WONDER TV USB 2 looks like they are going to work fine with the EyeTV software. However I need an activation code. I assume they did this so everyone doesn't run out and buy the $95 windows version then download the eyetv drivers for free. I will contact them to put the software which I assume will be $30. But rather than order it completely through them I think I'll pickup a windows branded wondertv just to see if it's the same.
     
ashtoash
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Dec 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 3, 2005, 01:05 AM
 
So they are refusing to sell the activation codes? I assume you tried to buy one? Well it seems pretty obvious now.

I'm going to get a serial # for the software one way or the other. Even if I have to buy a full wondertv from them for the serial and then buy a windows one. They should at least offer to sell the serial to you, and if it was part of their agreement with ATI then they should publish this so that we won't all coming knocking.

Obviously if the PC wonder works this way then EyeTV Software will be cracked which is sad because if they were allowed to sell the software to anyone they would make more money.

Anyone from EyeTV care to comment?


UPDATE:

I downloaded version 1.71. of EyeTV, Select EyeTV 200 (no activation required on this product) and EyeTV runs fine. Then you can go to the menu EyeTV > Devices and select the wonder without entering activation code.
( Last edited by ashtoash; Mar 3, 2005 at 01:20 AM. )
     
ashtoash
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Dec 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 4, 2005, 05:01 PM
 
It still requires the activation. Anyone care to let me test the activation on a pc version of the device? Thanks. For the record you would be transfering your activation key to me during the period of like 10 minutes while i verified it worked. Mean that it's not "warez" or "pirating" I just want to prove my theory that the PC version is indeed exactly the same.
     
ashtoash
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Dec 2004
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 8, 2005, 11:49 PM
 
The PC ATI Wonder USB2 version available anywhere does in fact work exactly the same with the EyeTV software. I recommend buying the eyetv version as it comes with mac software which you WILL need and won't be able to buy separately.
     
SSharon
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Teaneck, NJ
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 9, 2005, 02:15 AM
 
thanks for the update.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.
     
slapdash
Junior Member
Join Date: Aug 2002
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 15, 2005, 08:18 PM
 
Another quick update - this EyeTV Wonder 2 USB is fantastic. I've been using it for a while now and have a collection of MP4's and MPG's saved to disk. Amazing quality. And when I had need for Elgato support (I was getting a green line at the foot of all MPG and DV files output) they got back to me within a business day with updated software that fixed the problem. I like these guys a lot, they stand behind their products.

Can't say enough good about this unit. If you've got a fast mac that's not a laptop it's definitely worth buying. Two thumbs up from this Apple fan
     
zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Aug 2000
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 15, 2005, 11:16 PM
 
Originally posted by slapdash:
Another quick update - this EyeTV Wonder 2 USB is fantastic. I've been using it for a while now and have a collection of MP4's and MPG's saved to disk. Amazing quality. And when I had need for Elgato support (I was getting a green line at the foot of all MPG and DV files output) they got back to me within a business day with updated software that fixed the problem. I like these guys a lot, they stand behind their products.

Can't say enough good about this unit. If you've got a fast mac that's not a laptop it's definitely worth buying. Two thumbs up from this Apple fan
slapdash: The elgato website says that the EyeTV200 captures in MP4 but that the Wonder 2 doesn't. Apart from a remote and Firewire, this appears to be the only difference between them. Can you explain what you mean? Are you capturing direct to MP4?
     
SSharon
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Teaneck, NJ
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Mar 15, 2005, 11:57 PM
 
its sounding more and more like I need to replace my usb eye tv with the wonder. thanks for the positive updates.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.
     
   
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:07 PM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,