Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Bluetooth Palm HotSync: I'm Ready to Kill Somebody

Bluetooth Palm HotSync: I'm Ready to Kill Somebody
selowitch
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2005, 08:20 PM

I have a brand-new iBook G4 12" with built-in Bluetooth, a Palm m515 and a Palm/Toshiba Bluetooth SDIO card. I've installed Bluetooth 1.5 software, the latest firmware, and Palm Desktop 4.2.1, iSync, and the iSync Palm Conduit.

It just won't HotSync. I get the "Cannot sync because port is in use by another application" error every time, even though there is no other application using BT (I have a feeling this is one of those lying error messages that bespeak a different problem than claimed).

I'm about to tear out my few remaining hairs. Can anybody help me?

TankCdr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 15, 2005, 10:02 PM

BLUF: buy Mark Space's Missing Synch

This may not be the answer you're looking for, but I share your frustration with Palm Desktop for OS X. I was unable to get my Tapwave Zodiac to synch via Bluetooth using Palm's software, so I bought Missing Synch and it works very well.

P.S. I have no affiliation to Mark Space.
VJT

Primary Machine: Powerbook G4 15in/
1.5ghz/1gig RAM/80 GBHD/OS X Panther

selowitch  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2005, 11:08 PM

I may just do that. But I resent having to pay for functionality that is supposed to be provided for free. I've already paid for the PDA and the Bluetooth card. $40 additional was not part of my planned outlay, gosh darn it!

ChrisF
Senior User
Feb 16, 2005, 12:18 AM

Originally posted by selowitch:
I may just do that. But I resent having to pay for functionality that is supposed to be provided for free. I've already paid for the PDA and the Bluetooth card. $40 additional was not part of my planned outlay, gosh darn it!
Assuming you have the Palm and the Powerbook paired correctly, in Palm Desktop, open Hotsync Manager; first, confirm that Hotsync is enabled then go to the "Connection Settings" panel. Be sure that you're pointing Hotsync to the port named "bluetooth-pda-sync-port." That should be all that's necessary.

selowitch  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2005, 02:45 AM

Originally posted by ChrisF:
Be sure that you're pointing Hotsync to the port named "bluetooth-pda-sync-port." That should be all that's necessary.
That port is absent, and recreating it via the Bluetooth Serial Utility has not met with success.

ChrisF
Senior User
Feb 16, 2005, 09:34 AM

That port is absent, and recreating it via the Bluetooth Serial Utility has not met with success.
Can you pair the two devices at all? Are the necessary drivers for the Bluetooth card installed on the Palm?

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2005, 01:23 PM

I have a brand-new iBook G4 12" with built-in Bluetooth, a Palm m515 and a Palm/Toshiba Bluetooth SDIO card. I've installed Bluetooth 1.5 software, the latest firmware, and Palm Desktop 4.2.1, iSync, and the iSync Palm Conduit.

It just won't HotSync. I get the "Cannot sync because port is in use by another application" error every time, even though there is no other application using BT (I have a feeling this is one of those lying error messages that bespeak a different problem than claimed).
The m515 is somewhat old. I wrote this article a long time ago about the Treo 90 that may be useful. I seem to remember having a problem similar to yours at times, adn I think I had to fiddle with the port speeds (turn them down) to get it to work.

selowitch  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2005, 02:28 PM

Originally posted by ChrisF:
Can you pair the two devices at all? Are the necessary drivers for the Bluetooth card installed on the Palm?
Yep, pairing is no problem, and the device drivers all appear to be in place properly.
( Last edited by selowitch; Feb 16, 2005 at 02:34 PM. )

selowitch  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2005, 02:33 PM

Originally posted by JHromadka:
The m515 is somewhat old.
Yes, but show me a PDA available today that is as small, light, and thin, and which at least is supposed to work via Bluetooth on a Mac, and I'll buy it.

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2005, 06:12 PM

Yes, but show me a PDA available today that is as small, light, and thin, and which at least is supposed to work via Bluetooth on a Mac, and I'll buy it.
I'm not slagging the age of it; it's just that newer models have a wizard that makes bt setup a lot easier. Bluetooth was really tricky with older models.

selowitch  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2005, 06:33 PM

Originally posted by JHromadka:
I'm not slagging the age of it; it's just that newer models have a wizard that makes bt setup a lot easier. Bluetooth was really tricky with older models.
I suspect my issue is not related to the hardware/software of my Palm; rather, I think the problem is on the Macintosh side.

mbryda
Senior User
Feb 16, 2005, 08:53 PM

My TungstenT works perfectly fine syncing to my Mac using Palm's software, iSync, and my Ambicom BT dongle. It's pretty much the only way I sync unless I need to charge - then it's in the cradle.

selowitch  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2005, 09:02 PM

Well, it finally worked after doing the following:
  1. Log in as root, delete and reinstall Palm Desktop.
  2. Using Bluetooth Setup Utility, delete and then re-pair the Palm.
  3. Using Bluetooth Serial Utility, create an Outgoing RS-232, OBEX Push) and an Incoming (RS-232) Bluetooth port connection.
  4. In HotSync Manager, disable HotSync, then toggle the two bluetooth connections on and off before re-enabling HotSync.
  5. Finally, do a soft reset on the Palm.
And at last, it worked. I didn't have the patience to isolate each of these steps to determine which one was decisive, but as long as it continues to work in the future, I'll be glad.

What an ordeal! This really ought to be easier than it is. I feel as though I'm running Windows rather than Mac OS X through this experience, and believe me, folks, that's definitely not a compliment.

selowitch  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2005, 09:04 PM

Originally posted by mbryda:
My TungstenT works perfectly fine syncing to my Mac using Palm's software, iSync, and my Ambicom BT dongle. It's pretty much the only way I sync unless I need to charge - then it's in the cradle.
I'm happy for you. Really I am.

ChrisF
Senior User
Feb 16, 2005, 09:32 PM

What an ordeal! This really ought to be easier than it is. I feel as though I'm running Windows rather than Mac OS X through this experience, and believe me, folks, that's definitely not a compliment.
Well at least you did get it to work. I'll concur with Mbryda that my Tungsten (though mine's a T5) works without any real effort on OS X via Bluetooth. I did spend a couple of hours one night trying to get internet access via Bluetooth on a Win XP laptop (which is supposed to work) and gave up with no success.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Feb 16, 2005, 09:39 PM

today i hooked up my friends m500 to his new G5...
the trick is in the hotsync screen, going to conduit settings, and, in the isync setting, clicking on the palm device.

i use bt with my tungsten & a powerbook, and love it.
but setting this all up is the opposite of intuitive, ie very un-mac like.

!
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

selowitch  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2005, 09:53 AM

Drat! With no changes to my configuration, the darned thing stopped working again. That stupid "port in use" error. I'm seriously thinking of giving up and going back to the cradle. Gah!

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Feb 18, 2005, 09:26 PM

Drat! With no changes to my configuration, the darned thing stopped working again. That stupid "port in use" error. I'm seriously thinking of giving up and going back to the cradle. Gah!

you've checked all the settings in the hotsync manager??

i created a bluetooth sync setup on my palm, and with the bluetooth pref pane;
opened hotsync & setup the conduit settings for isync (turning on the palm device)

it's far from intuitive, but works.
i've been syncing my tt over bluetooth since june, np...

here's apple's take on this: http://docs.info.apple.com/article2.html?artnum=93264
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 18, 2005, 09:35 PM

I want to second the rec for Missing Sync. I have a T3, and after lots of work, I did get it to sync with Palm Desktop via Bluetooth, but it was slow and unreliable. Under Missing Sync, easy and smooth.

I agree that having to pay extra for what should work out of the box is a pain in the ass, but having it work without the struggle is worth it. I just calculate how much my time is worth, and if it's more than the outlay of cash, I do it.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Feb 18, 2005, 09:39 PM

Originally posted by AC Rempt:
I want to second the rec for Missing Sync. I have a T3, and after lots of work, I did get it to sync with Palm Desktop via Bluetooth, but it was slow and unreliable. Under Missing Sync, easy and smooth.

I agree that having to pay extra for what should work out of the box is a pain in the ass, but having it work without the struggle is worth it. I just calculate how much my time is worth, and if it's more than the outlay of cash, I do it.
the apple doc walks you thru the setup; i've done it, and it works consistently.
missing sync is a great app, with some nice options, but it is itself an option...

John G. Stillmank
Feb 19, 2005, 08:50 AM

Don't you have a cradle? Why is syncing via BT so important? It's pretty slow and drains the battery, while using the cradle (or a cable) allows you to charge.

P.S. I've played around with BT syncing and it is cool, but too slow!
15" Aluminum Powerbook G4, 1.25GHz, 1GB, 80GB. Airport Extreme. 4G iPod 60GB.

selowitch  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2005, 09:28 AM

Originally posted by John G. Stillmank:
Don't you have a cradle? Why is syncing via BT so important? ... I've played around with BT syncing and it is cool, but too slow!
Particularly when syncing to an iBook, it's nice to reduce the number of devices I need to haul around by one. If it worked seamlessly, I think it would be worth the speed and power issues. But it ain't seemless, not by a longshot.

I went and ordered myself one of those retractable Palm Sync cables (I forget exactly what it's called or where I got it, sorry) for $15 that I think I'll use instead.

It's too bad, because it was one of the conveniences I looked forward to when I ordered my 12" iBook BTO with the internal Bluetooth module.

new newton
Banned
Feb 19, 2005, 07:16 PM

The real joy of BT is wireless data via the cellphone. Syncing via BT is slow. For travel, the retractable USB cable is a much better option. If you rely on your Palm to the extent that you feel you have to sync it often, you probably need to charge it often, too.

selowitch  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2005, 09:51 PM

Originally posted by new newton:
The real joy of BT is wireless data via the cellphone. Syncing via BT is slow. For travel, the retractable USB cable is a much better option. If you rely on your Palm to the extent that you feel you have to sync it often, you probably need to charge it often, too.
Well, perhaps you're right. I may just eBay the Palm Bluetooth card and use the retractable cable. I think reliability is more important for me. Besides, I have enough trouble getting HotSync to work the way I want it to. But that's for a different thread, a different forum.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 22, 2005, 02:02 PM

Originally posted by John G. Stillmank:
Don't you have a cradle? Why is syncing via BT so important? It's pretty slow and drains the battery, while using the cradle (or a cable) allows you to charge.

P.S. I've played around with BT syncing and it is cool, but too slow!
Yep. Straight on.
Syncing via BT is more an academic exercise.

My T2 and Mac mini synced without a problem, but it's sooo slow.
So I'm gonna stick with my cradle.

-t

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Feb 22, 2005, 02:15 PM

i dunno, i like being cable/cradle free.
sync my tt at home, traveling...
yes, it takes longer, but this is osx...
i can continue to surf, email, work while hotsyncing in the background.

got an ac charger for my tt (ebay, about $12.), and i'm good to go...

whatever works...!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 22, 2005, 03:41 PM

Originally posted by fisherKing:
i dunno, i like being cable/cradle free.
whatever works...!
Ok, so fill us in on how to charge the Palm w/o cables...

-t

nbnz
Senior User
Feb 25, 2005, 12:31 AM

BUMP

selowitch, did you ever get this fixed?

I have just started getting the exact same problem, I have uninstalled and reinstalled Palm Desktop, HotSync, Apple Bluetooth 1.5, iSync, iSync Palm Conduit. Trashed preferences and all sorts.

So frustrating! I really don't want to have to do a clean install.

As slow as BT syncing is, it's handy when travelling - one less cable to carry around.

thanks
iMac, Intel Core-Duo 2GHz, 2GB, 250GB, OS X 10.4
PowerBook 12", 867MHz, 640MB, 60GB, OS X 10.4
iMac G3, 333MHz, 288MB, 6GB, OS X 10.3
iPods: 3G iPod, 1G mini, 1G shuffle, 2G nano

selowitch  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2005, 12:36 AM

Originally posted by nbnz:
BUMP

selowitch, did you ever get this fixed?

I have just started getting the exact same problem, I have uninstalled and reinstalled Palm Desktop, HotSync, Apple Bluetooth 1.5, iSync, iSync Palm Conduit. Trashed preferences and all sorts.

So frustrating! I really don't want to have to do a clean install.

As slow as BT syncing is, it's handy when travelling - one less cable to carry around.

thanks
Well, I'm happy to commiserate if nothing else. There are so many things to try and so little guidance on this topic. You can fool around with the Bluetooth Serial Utility until you're blue in the face. For my part, I've ordered a retractable miniSync cable and I'm eBaying my BT card --- I've had it!

new newton
Banned
Feb 25, 2005, 03:22 AM

Originally posted by turtle777:
Ok, so fill us in on how to charge the Palm w/o cables...

-t
He can't. He made a poor choice in purchasing an AC charger as opposed to a USB charge/sync cable. Gadgetry and gimmickry have their places, but those places aren't in the experienced traveler's luggage.

nbnz
Senior User
Feb 25, 2005, 03:42 AM

Well, I'm happy to commiserate if nothing else. There are so many things to try and so little guidance on this topic. You can fool around with the Bluetooth Serial Utility until you're blue in the face. For my part, I've ordered a retractable miniSync cable and I'm eBaying my BT card --- I've had it!
oh well, looks like I'll be waiting till my clean install of Tiger then
iMac, Intel Core-Duo 2GHz, 2GB, 250GB, OS X 10.4
PowerBook 12", 867MHz, 640MB, 60GB, OS X 10.4
iMac G3, 333MHz, 288MB, 6GB, OS X 10.3
iPods: 3G iPod, 1G mini, 1G shuffle, 2G nano

Forum Links
Forum Rules