Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Need Help with Setup for Communication Overseas

Need Help with Setup for Communication Overseas
KeriVit
Professional Poster
Mar 13, 2005, 10:54 AM

I tried this in the lounge- since it is both hardware & software- But I am not getting any feedback... Can anyone here help?

Well, it looks like my partner will be going to Iraq for 6 months. In order to put aside any emotional issues that brings, I've decided to concentrate on getting her computer set up for communication and such. It's on a military base- but she will be a civilian in a trailer with electricity and stuff.

She has an iBook G4 with Superdrive and Airport card. So what other things would you suggest I set it up with? Software, hardware, etc.

iSight or dif cam? We'll need 2 i guess.
Messaging programs?
Any websites that would be helpful?
What other sort of accessories?
Need more RAM? (Currently 256)
Games or other things to combat boredom...

ALSO- a digital camera- sturdy- maybe 3.2 MP...

Thanks for any input.

TankCdr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 13, 2005, 08:23 PM

Been there and tried to do that. She'll have to find a away to get internet access from a civillian source there. I haven't so I can't advise on that specific issue. The military will not allow her Mac or any other personal computer on the local LAN. I deployed with my PowerBook twice so far this war, but I take it knowing that it I will only use it off-line. I found games, iTunes, watching DVDs, reading e-books, etc. alone worth lugging it along. She will likely have decent access to the web for e-mail, bill paying etc. through her company or one of the military internet cafes. Don't expect sufficient bandwidth for iChat AV or the iSight. She'll need a good plan to keep her handwaret clean, even in a trailer, dust and sand will get intho everything.
VJT

Primary Machine: Powerbook G4 15in/
1.5ghz/1gig RAM/80 GBHD/OS X Panther

KeriVit  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 13, 2005, 09:51 PM

Well, she is a civilian (though veteran)- working on a base- supposedly- this medical facility has a high speed connection (Taji- if that helps). But until I see it in writing - I won't spend any money.

The sand/dust is a consideration. I will look into some kind of bag to keep it in but easily accessible.

I have been loading up on audiobooks. Any decent games for the Mac- mindless/fun stuff?

What's the cell phone reception like over there?

Thanks.

TankCdr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 13, 2005, 11:21 PM

I'm sure the base has connectivity, but my experience is that everyone on the unclasified network is fighting for a sliver of the limited bandwidth. E-mail works fine, web browsing can be slow, and video/audio just choke the connections.

Audio books are a good idea. Get her an iPod if she doesn't have one already. I'd leave my PowerBook at home and just take my iPod if it came down to it.

I'm a type-A military guy, so my game recommendations may not fly. I played alot of Civilization III, Medal of Honor & Call of Duty shooters, and the occassional game of Nanosaur.

I haven't had a cell phone in Iraq myself, but they are very common.

Hope this helps a bit...
VJT

Primary Machine: Powerbook G4 15in/
1.5ghz/1gig RAM/80 GBHD/OS X Panther

Forum Links
Forum Rules