Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > PC's sharing printer connected to a Mac?

PC's sharing printer connected to a Mac?
mojo5436
Aug 28, 2002, 08:01 PM

Is it possible to share a printer with a PC that is connected to my Mac? Its an HP 940C hooked up via USB. The PC can see my computer and connect to it, can it share my printer?

rifferte
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 28, 2002, 09:03 PM

***BUMP***

I've got my mac printing to my HPLaserjet connected to my PC. Now I want my USB Epson connected to my Mac working via the PC.

I saw some documents on modifying smb.conf, adding the following lines to the [global] section:

printing = cups
printcap name = cups

However - I can't get this to work. I'm probably missing something . . .

I can see the shared drive on my PC, but I can't connect to the shared printer.

jb8748
Aug 29, 2002, 11:17 AM

Have a look at the man pages for cupsaddsmb - it provides quite a few details on how to share your printers with Windows and have the driver install automagically.

James

noisefloor
Forum Regular
Aug 29, 2002, 02:15 PM

Could somebody provide more specifics? The man pages for cupsaddsmb aren't very helpful. Looks like this is turning into a FAQ, it would be nice if someone could write up a step by step explanation for setting this up.

I think I'm pretty close, now my XP box asks for a user/pass to use my Mac printer. Where do I set this password or is there a generic pass? (I've tried using the mac os user/pass, but doesn't work)

Forum Links
Forum Rules