Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Al 15" and External CRT monitors

Al 15" and External CRT monitors
pdub99
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2003, 02:54 AM

Hey there, just wondering if anyone has hooked up their 15" (or 12/17) to a larger external CTR monitor?

My monitor is a Viewsonic PT795, and can get resolutions up to 1920X1440 or something like that. Anyhow, as soon as the resolution gets up to 1280X1024, the image looks quite poor. A bit of ghosting is visible, the text is not crisp, etc. I've got a VGA -> BNC cable, and I was having no problems at all running at 16X12X85Hz on my PC.

I am wondering if the external monitor support is flakey, or if the VGA dongle is just cheap, or ???

Anyone have any experience with this yet?

Thanks.

1zero
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2003, 03:42 AM

I have my 15" hooked up to a 21" CTR monitor.

Under Jaguar, it was terrible, there were vertical lines all over and ghosting like you mentioned.

I upgraded to Panther last night and hooked it up to the monitor today and it looks great!! The image quality is really good now.

dazuma
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2003, 05:28 PM

I have my 15" Albook hooked up to a 21" Compaq P1100 at 1600x1200. Looks fine, no ghosting, and no readily discernable change in quality between 10.2.7, 10.2.8 and 10.3. There is a very slight vibration in the image, especially along the edges, but it's only noticeable if I'm looking for it; I suspect it's just an artifact of the digital->analog ADC->VGA conversion.

bobette
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2003, 08:12 PM

Just replied this in another thread:

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=185919
this lounge is a poor substitute to the bbq.

ulmer
Oct 30, 2003, 10:28 PM

My 15" Ti with Jaguar and Panther and DVI to VGA hooked up to a 21" FD Trinitron looked great at 1600x1200.

My 15" Al with Panther and DVI to VGA hooked up to the same monitor gives me fuzzy text and slight ghosting. It gets worse with higher refresh rates!

It looks much better at 1280x1024 but there's no reason to have a 21" monitor if that's all you can run. I'm afraid it's a 15" Al hardware issue. :-(

I either have to get work to buy me a DVI flat panel (ha! right!) or slowly lose my sight from eye strain...

Other than that, I love the new 15".

Forum Links
Forum Rules