Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Firewire Problem on 15in G4

Firewire Problem on 15in G4
TankCdr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 13, 2005, 11:07 PM

Looking for help. Suddenly the Firewire 400 port on my 6 week old PowerBook G4 is acting up. Here are the relevant facts:

I normally connect as follows: PowerBook FW400 port to BookEndz Dock then to Apple 20in Cinema Display. To the cinema display, I attach an exteranl 80GB drive and either my iSight or my iPod synch/charging cable (as the situation warrants).
This configuration has worked fine up until this weekend.
As of today the iSight and external drive mount and are usable, but if I plug in my iPod it isn't recognized by iTunes and doesn't mount but still charges.
All devices are visible to Apple System Profiler.
If I daisy chain another unpowered HD to the external, it doesn't power up or mount and isn't visible to ASP.
If I undock my PowerBook and connect the iPod directly it isn't recognized either.
If I plug an unpowered external FireLite drive directly into my PowerBook, it doesn't mount.
I have rest my iPod and it is working fine.
I have already searched Apple's support pages and tried the procedures they recommend.
I suspect there is something wrong with my FW400 port. Before I take my beloved PowerBook in for a technician to look a itt, I figured I'd ask the community for advice/suggestions.

TIA
VJT

Primary Machine: Powerbook G4 15in/
1.5ghz/1gig RAM/80 GBHD/OS X Panther

Ruahrc
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 14, 2005, 12:14 AM

This is a long shot- but did you by chance update your iPod recently, using the newly released iPod updater? And have you reset your computer try to remedy the problem?

A similar thing happened to me after I updated my 2G iPod with the updater. It would not mount initially- but after I rebooted my PB it worked just fine.

Sorry if you have tried these things already- as they are most likely the first things you tried

Ruahrc

TankCdr  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 14, 2005, 07:13 AM

Thanks for the suggestion, but I've restarted my PowerBook a few times and I know all my software is up-to-date.
VJT

JKT
Professional Poster
Mar 14, 2005, 09:32 AM

Have you reset your Power Management Unit (PMU)? If not, search the Apple.com knowledge base for the how to with your specific model mac.

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 14, 2005, 10:35 AM

Originally posted by TankCdr:
Looking for help. Suddenly the Firewire 400 port on my 6 week old PowerBook G4 is acting up. Here are the relevant facts:

I normally connect as follows: PowerBook FW400 port to BookEndz Dock then to Apple 20in Cinema Display. To the cinema display, I attach an exteranl 80GB drive and either my iSight or my iPod synch/charging cable (as the situation warrants).
This configuration has worked fine up until this weekend.
As of today the iSight and external drive mount and are usable, but if I plug in my iPod it isn't recognized by iTunes and doesn't mount but still charges.
All devices are visible to Apple System Profiler.
If I daisy chain another unpowered HD to the external, it doesn't power up or mount and isn't visible to ASP.
If I undock my PowerBook and connect the iPod directly it isn't recognized either.
If I plug an unpowered external FireLite drive directly into my PowerBook, it doesn't mount.
I have rest my iPod and it is working fine.
I have already searched Apple's support pages and tried the procedures they recommend.
I suspect there is something wrong with my FW400 port. Before I take my beloved PowerBook in for a technician to look a itt, I figured I'd ask the community for advice/suggestions.

TIA
I posted a thread about this a week and a half ago. Same problem. Things were great at first, and then they tanked a couple weeks later -- specifically with regard to mounting/seeing the iPod even though the iPod would charge.

Let me know what you find out, because it's ticking me off too.
MacBook Pro 15" -- 2.2Ghz, 4GB, 200GB 7200rpm
iPod Nano 2G -- 8GB

TankCdr  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 14, 2005, 09:11 PM

Update; reset the PMU and ran the Apple Hardware Test. The test reported all was well, but I still can mount my iPod! Now, I need to find my USB 2 synch cable....
VJT

TankCdr  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 18, 2005, 11:50 PM

No luck so far. Found several discussions on the Apple Powerbook support discussion pages. For example:

Apple Support Discussion

They offer a variety of suggestions none of which have worked for me. Several people with similar issues claim Apple tech support has told them a fix will be out soon through Software Update. I'm calling Apple tomorrow on this. Not being able to using Firewire is unacceptable.

VJT
VJT

Forum Links
Forum Rules